Ritchey Road Logic vs Enigma Elite

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
othello

Ritchey Road Logic vs Enigma Elite

Postby othello » Fri Jan 18, 2013 17:21 pm

I'm planning on buying a new frame this year to replace my current Cinelli XPerience alu one. I fancy steel rather than carbon (though Titanium might be still be an option). I'm drawing up a long list of possibles, but two I keep coming back to are the Ritchey Road Logic and the Enigma Elite.

Anyone out there got one and able to give me honest opinions?

A bit of background is useful too I guess...

I've built the Cinelli up pretty light (Campag Chorus, Zonda wheels etc), but I'm a tall guy (6ft 1") and I'm never going to have a super light bike. I don't race, and ride locally Berkshire/Oxfordshire, a few sportives etc. Nothing out of the ordinary really.
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

styxd

Re: Ritchey Road Logic vs Enigma Elite

Postby styxd » Fri Jan 18, 2013 17:50 pm

Both look good. The tubing on the Enigma looks like a larger diameter than the Ritchey so it could be stiffer. It also has a shorter back end (possibly wheelbase) so it may feel more responsive.

Another, slithly cheaper option is this http://www.condorcycles.com/Condor-Bike ... e.tpl.html

But Id probably get a custom Rourke or a Bob Jackson if you cant afford it.

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 21:00 pm

I have an Elite - had one almost 2 years now and covered about 10,000 miles on it. Been across the Pyrenees on the Raid, been up mountains in various other places and rode it in the Maratona last summer. Its also done loads of UK sportives and is my most ridden bike. I'm 6', 174lbs and ride about 7-8k miles pa.

You'll get the sense that I love this bike a LOT. No idea on the Ritchey but mine is built with a mix of SRAM Red & Force, with Ritchey WCS cockpit and seatpost and the carbon forks Enigma supply.

The bike isnt as light as my carbon superbike, but isnt particularly heavy. Its very responsive and great fun for descending etc but also has enough comfort to ride all day, day after day, as I've done numerous times. It really is a superb all-round bike and I was just thinking the other day if I had to just have 1 bike from all of mine then this would possibly be it. I have another Enigma, an Ethos, which is heavier with a more plush ride, but the Elite s much more responsive, stiff and better handling. Not quite as smooth, but it does have stiffer wheels as well.

Any specific questions then let me know, but 1 thing I always remember was when I was talking with Jim at Enigma when buying the frame, he told me that despite access to any of the bikes he could make with all sorts of other materials, he personally rode an Elite for its general all-round abilities. I see why now.
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

skyblue337

Postby skyblue337 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 19:30 pm

I also have an Elite with the Columbus Minimal forks which I've had for one summer. It's hard to describe the ride sensation but it feels very responsive, not quite to the level of a stiff carbon frame but not something you'd worry about. It's also pretty comfortable and it feels very stable when descending, easy to adjust it's line. Above all though it's fun to ride, the steel frame kind of hums over the road. Sounds silly, but it feels a bit more alive underneath you than other bikes I've ridden.

othello

Postby othello » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:36 am

Bigpikle wrote:I have an Elite - had one almost 2 years now and covered about 10,000 miles on it. Been across the Pyrenees on the Raid, been up mountains in various other places and rode it in the Maratona last summer. Its also done loads of UK sportives and is my most ridden bike. I'm 6', 174lbs and ride about 7-8k miles pa.

You'll get the sense that I love this bike a LOT. No idea on the Ritchey but mine is built with a mix of SRAM Red & Force, with Ritchey WCS cockpit and seatpost and the carbon forks Enigma supply.

The bike isnt as light as my carbon superbike, but isnt particularly heavy. Its very responsive and great fun for descending etc but also has enough comfort to ride all day, day after day, as I've done numerous times. It really is a superb all-round bike and I was just thinking the other day if I had to just have 1 bike from all of mine then this would possibly be it. I have another Enigma, an Ethos, which is heavier with a more plush ride, but the Elite s much more responsive, stiff and better handling. Not quite as smooth, but it does have stiffer wheels as well.

Any specific questions then let me know, but 1 thing I always remember was when I was talking with Jim at Enigma when buying the frame, he told me that despite access to any of the bikes he could make with all sorts of other materials, he personally rode an Elite for its general all-round abilities. I see why now.

Thanks, that is just the sort of honest review I was looking for. The Elite is certainly top of my list at the moment. The bonus of the custom option is tempting, though I need to compare geometries with my current bike which was selected after a bike fit at the LBS to work with my slightly odd body shape (long legs and arms and short torso).
Blogging about junior road bikes http://junior-road-bikes.tumblr.com

skyblue337

Postby skyblue337 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:03 am

The nice thing about going custom is that you can have the top tube of the size 57 with the seat tube and head tube of the 59 if you are between sizes and prefer a shorter reach like I do

csmuk1

Postby csmuk1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 18:48 pm

Bigpikle wrote:I have an Elite - had one almost 2 years now and covered about 10,000 miles on it. Been across the Pyrenees on the Raid, been up mountains in various other places and rode it in the Maratona last summer. Its also done loads of UK sportives and is my most ridden bike. I'm 6', 174lbs and ride about 7-8k miles pa.

i'm probably a bit late on this, but i am also considering the ritchey - to be my winter bike and general club ride steed, but my head has turned by the enigma ethos as it seems more likely to take mudguards - you mention that it's heavy and doesn't handle so well, can you fit mudguards to the elite? thanks for any help

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Thu Feb 28, 2013 20:22 pm

Unlikely you'll find much on the Ritchey as they're pretty new. No experience of the Road Logic but have experience of other Ritchey frame - currently a P29er MTB and previously a Breakaway - in both cases the frames are well sorted and ride qualities belies the relative weight of steel. If you like classic steel, then you'll like them - skinny steel tubes give quite a lively ride - heavier riders riding hard may feel them a bit whippy, but 20 years ago no one worried. Obviously with the Enigma you get a British built product.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 21:07 pm

csmuk1 wrote:i'm probably a bit late on this, but i am also considering the ritchey - to be my winter bike and general club ride steed, but my head has turned by the enigma ethos as it seems more likely to take mudguards - you mention that it's heavy and doesn't handle so well, can you fit mudguards to the elite? thanks for any help

I use the Ethos as my winter bike and for light touring - its a joy. Its very comfortable and not heavy by winter bike standards, just heavier than my Elite kitted with some high end stuff.

I didnt say it didnt handle well, just that its a more plush ride and great for covering lots of miles in comfort. I've taken it all over the place and certainly havent found any handling issues.

No way you'll get proper mudguards on a standard Elite - no clearance and no fittings. It would probably take those clip on Crudguard things but I've never tried as I use the Ethos for all that. Highly recommended.

csmuk1

Postby csmuk1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 21:26 pm

thanks montydog and bigpikle,
both helpful and yet i still can't make my mind up - i have a summer bike - a merlin ti, but i need to replace my current steel winter bike as it is too small for me. i love the look of the ritchey and the associated heritage, and i have a bit of a thing for american bikes. having chatted to charliethebikemonger, who is an incredibly nice and helpful chap, he really sold me on it, however it needs to be suitable as a winter bike and it may not be the best for this, i need mudguards and 25c tyres. the ethos is clearly designed with winter bike in mind and the realist in me is telling me to go with it, however for some reason i am a little put off by the touring badge, and i want to be sure that it is "racey" enough for the sunday morning club run. what are your thoughts on it bigpikle as you have one?

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 21:40 pm

I ride mine on the club run all the time - no stigma or issues. The only thing that makes it touring associated is rack mounts. Its a class looking machine and gets positive comments every time I take it on a ride. Looks lovely without guards as well. Classic skinny steel tube machine and mine looks cracking with a nice Campag GS and handbuilt Ambrosio wheels. Best of all is the ride - its just sooooo smooth and great for eating the miles.

csmuk1

Postby csmuk1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 21:44 pm

well i think that's me sold - the ritchey seems too close to a summer bike, and i already have one of those - the enigma ethos it is - i'm going to stick all the bits from my current bike on it - handbuilt mavic op wheels with ritchey carbon kit. thanks for the help - i'll post opinion when i build it up

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Thu Feb 28, 2013 22:03 pm

if you're interested in an Enigma then call Jim at Enigma and pay them a visit if possible. They are very helpful and you can test all sorts of options if you pay them a visit. Only trouble is it will probably cost you ;)

mattythemod

Postby mattythemod » Fri Mar 01, 2013 07:11 am

Having seen a Ritchey up close at the Core Bike show i was a little dissapointed at the finish on the welds not to mention the colour is very diffrent to the online pics and the PaliGap catalog its more of a battleship grey , i personally favor the Enigma although i think it costs a little more .

Did you see the review in Cycling weekly of the Ritchey couple of weeks ago ?

styxd

Postby styxd » Fri Mar 01, 2013 09:07 am

csmuk1 wrote:thanks montydog and bigpikle,
both helpful and yet i still can't make my mind up - i have a summer bike - a merlin ti, but i need to replace my current steel winter bike as it is too small for me. i love the look of the ritchey and the associated heritage, and i have a bit of a thing for american bikes. having chatted to charliethebikemonger, who is an incredibly nice and helpful chap, he really sold me on it, however it needs to be suitable as a winter bike and it may not be the best for this, i need mudguards and 25c tyres. the ethos is clearly designed with winter bike in mind and the realist in me is telling me to go with it, however for some reason i am a little put off by the touring badge, and i want to be sure that it is "racey" enough for the sunday morning club run. what are your thoughts on it bigpikle as you have one?

Just get a Genesis Equilibrium. Less than half the price (with forks!), rides great, takes full guards and wide tyres.

csmuk1

Postby csmuk1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:25 pm

i haven't seen the review of the ritchey in cycling weekly - i shall see whether i can find it on the net.

thanks styxd - i currently have a genesis equilibrium - though in too small a size - i fancy something a little more upmarket and to be honest the cost of the ethos plus forks and headset over the equilibrium is not dissuading me, plus it's made in the UK and that it a big plus factor for me.

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 17:14 pm

check the clearance section at Enigma - a few Ethos on there at good prices right now :D

csmuk1

Postby csmuk1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 18:43 pm

thanks bigpikle - i had noticed and they've kindly put a frame aside for me - i'm a happy guy!

Return to “Road Buying Advice”