London BIke show - best bits

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
stealf

London BIke show - best bits

Postby stealf » Sat Jan 19, 2013 15:31 pm

WHo's been? what where your thoughts and what did yo think the best bits of it were?
I went Friday - Great day perving over frames, bits, wheels and all things cycle related. Best for me was the whole SPIN bikes stand - Beautiful bikes , the MODA stand (any words on their bikes as interested) and the girl modeling on the velovixen (http://www.velovixen.com) was pretty nice.
A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness.
James E. Starrs

Current Bikes
1999 Trek 6000 still looking mint
2007Spesh StumpJumper FSR Elite
2012 Sabbath September - Ooohhhh is that Titanium?

tomhowells

Re: London BIke show - best bits

Postby tomhowells » Sun Jan 20, 2013 15:09 pm

I ride a Moda Intro - very nice bike, it's my first road bike so not a lot to compare it to. It handles very well, has some nice finishing kit IMO, and runs with Tiagra gearing for £700. The whole package is better than the sum of its parts!
Moda Intro
Dawes Single Speed
Halfords BSO

giant man

Postby giant man » Sun Jan 20, 2013 17:10 pm

sounds like a complete waste of time then, the London show is never as good as the NEC one in October.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

jezzpalmer

Postby jezzpalmer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 17:13 pm

giant man wrote:sounds like a complete waste of time then, the London show is never as good as the NEC one in October.

It must be very poor then, went to the NEC one last year and it was shockingly shoot IMO.

typekitty

Postby typekitty » Sun Jan 20, 2013 17:24 pm

Loved it. Picked up some awesome bargains (£150 jacket for £40; £50 tights for £15), saw some hawwwwt bikes and the folding bike race was really fun. Packed place, but everyone seemed nice and the trade stand people were friendly and chatty. Didn't need to eat lunch from all the energy bar samples on offer. Wish I had of gotten a ticket for Sunday too.

Interesting having the outdoor show and the boat show in the same building too. Some of the yachts were sweet.

solboy10

Postby solboy10 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 19:17 pm

typekitty wrote:Loved it. Picked up some awesome bargains (£150 jacket for £40; £50 tights for £15), saw some hawwwwt bikes and the folding bike race was really fun. Packed place, but everyone seemed nice and the trade stand people were friendly and chatty. Didn't need to eat lunch from all the energy bar samples on offer. Wish I had of gotten a ticket for Sunday too.

Interesting having the outdoor show and the boat show in the same building too. Some of the yachts were sweet.

Tell me more about the folding race bike! I am currently on the look for one but cant find one anywhere!

typekitty

Postby typekitty » Sun Jan 20, 2013 21:30 pm

solboy10 wrote:Tell me more about the folding race bike! I am currently on the look for one but cant find one anywhere!

It's part of the Nocturne series.

http://www.londonnocturne.com/foldingbikerace.php

Hope that helps!

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 00:25 am

Best bit for me was going home. Total waste of time and shall never go back. Nothing to buy, no new garmin to buy or try. Terrible waste of a day.

giant man

Postby giant man » Mon Jan 21, 2013 08:08 am

jezzpalmer wrote:
giant man wrote:sounds like a complete waste of time then, the London show is never as good as the NEC one in October.

It must be very poor then, went to the NEC one last year and it was shockingly shoot IMO.

Yeah, I didn't go last year, but most years before that, which were all quite similar. The london one is shared with three other shows including the bleedin' boat show. Just wish the bike shows were more geared up for us, the rider and potential purchasers, should have stuff to buy and test ride offerings. Always seem to be a trade show, but with the public allowed in.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:34 am

And to add if you think it was small last year this year was I guess 25% smaller. Nothing to buy I wanted a set of carbon wheels but nobody could sell me any. Amazingly bad and will never go back. I'm going to go euro bike in Zurich for the day and make a weekend of it. The London one was nothing but a joke. The boat show for years has got progressively worse and I've Been going for thirty years, this year was also terrible for this, no yachts as such and companies are pulling out as you cannot have a rigged yacht as the roof is not as high as earls court. Shame.

philbar72

Postby philbar72 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:42 pm

I enjoyed it, went saturday. picked up some brochures and had a flick through them yesterday, for some spring upgrades....

Green_Medic

Postby Green_Medic » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:55 pm

I wasn't too impressed either to be honest. There were some nice bikes and kit to look at but nothing accessible to the average cyclist, no real shopping opportunities either... came home empty handed, though that was probably a good thing!

typekitty

Postby typekitty » Mon Jan 21, 2013 15:40 pm

So the Cycle Show in Birmingham is deffo worth the trip?

Return to “Road General”