Just bought Wilier - now offered upgrade and confused?!?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
bendylegs

Just bought Wilier - now offered upgrade and confused?!?

Postby bendylegs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 16:52 pm

Having read LOTS on here over the last fortnight I've just been out and bought a Wilier Izoard XP Veloce. I was undecided about whether to spend the extra £380 for Centaur spec (also upgrades the wheels from Fulcrum R7s to R5s), but went with Veloce. Happily walking back to the office and shop called to say if I want to go for the Centaur spec then I can have it for an extra £278 - aaargh! So now I'm wondering again!

Bottom line - I prefer look of the Veloce bike (it's red/ white, and red bikes go quicker of course), while the Centaur spec is black/ red (still looks good, just not as good!), but of course it's Centaur and R5s. I'm going to be doing weekend rides of about 40 - 50 miles, and probably half a dozen sportives this year which may well be up to 100 miles. The frame is, of course, the same, so it's just a spec question.

Is it worth the extra £280 (which I will otherwise spend on beer and curry after a nice ride!)

ShutUpLegs

Re: Just bought Wilier - now offered upgrade and confused?!?

Postby ShutUpLegs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:03 pm

Get the bike you prefer the look of
I Like Black Bikes

Furrag

Postby Furrag » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:10 pm

Get the Veloce. My justification is that I don't feel there is a noticable difference between Veloce and Centaur (post-downgrade in 2011 onwards).

With the £278 you save, you could put it towards new saddle, tyres, bike locks, BC membership, insurance or sportive entry fees. You could also take the missus out to dinner to sweeten her up, then onto the theatre. When you roll off her that night, you'll feel like the boss knowing you've just knocked her bandy AND got a new bike in the space of a week.

GRicha

Postby GRicha » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:12 pm

I'd go with beer and curry pal!!

rhext

Postby rhext » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:14 pm

No, no, don't listen to them. Everyone knows that if it costs more, it must be better and if it's better you will go a lot faster. Honest!

bendylegs

Postby bendylegs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:31 pm

Excellent advice all - especially about knocking the missus bandy. The Veloce it is then! (And anyway, red always goes faster... 8) )

And yep, damn right - new tyres for sure

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:32 pm

What the guys have said above - go Veloce.

But get some better tyres as the stock Chinese rubber that comes with the bike isn't very good - some Vittoria Rubino Pro 3's for general use would be good. And you'll want to ditch the bottle cage too - get a pair of black Tacx Tao's.

LOL - I'm basically telling you to do everythig I did when I first got my Izoard :-)
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

GGBiker

Postby GGBiker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:47 pm

Good advice above, centaur and veloce are virtually identical.

I would upgrade the tyres first, conti gp4000s transformed my izoard XP, the original cst tyres are truly dreadful- lots of punctures and handle like shoot. Honestly don't even bother running them for a few months, they give a poor impression of the bike and you'll be wasting the cash invested in an otherwise great bike.
Saddle is poor also, I would recommend a selle SLR XP saddle, available in matching wilier colours/logo and very comfortable and light. Fit a third eye chain catcher. Next on the upgrade list would be wheels and or carbon seatpost.

The fulcrum r7 wheels are however reasonably nice rolling super tough training wheels, won't let you down.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Wed Jan 23, 2013 17:55 pm

Wasn't the Centaur spec'd bike the OP posted before a pre 2011 Centaur. £278 extra is a bargain for Powertorque Veloce to Ultratorque Centaur. TBH, I'd pay that for Veloce to Veloce.
Faster than a tent.......

Furrag

Postby Furrag » Wed Jan 23, 2013 18:15 pm

Rolf F wrote:Wasn't the Centaur spec'd bike the OP posted before a pre 2011 Centaur. £278 extra is a bargain for Powertorque Veloce to Ultratorque Centaur. TBH, I'd pay that for Veloce to Veloce.

If the Centaur is 2010 or before Ultratorque, then I would pay the difference, simply because it's better imo and easier-to-maintain system than Powertorque. Can save a load of money in the long-run with the gear puller.

OR even more easier to maintain imo (and what I did having gone through Ultratorque and Powertorque at both 2010 and 2011 Centaur and Veloce level), sell the chainset, and buy something like Rotor 3D cranks & stick a Hollowtech II bottom bracket cups on. The Izoard uses English threaded cups.

GGBiker

Postby GGBiker » Wed Jan 23, 2013 18:33 pm

The izoard usually comes with an fsa gossamer chainset so no worries re powertorque.

Slowandsteady

Postby Slowandsteady » Wed Jan 23, 2013 20:03 pm

I've covered about 40 miles on this, I took it off my Cento Uno SR without giving it a fair chance.

I don't know if it would interest you?
Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!

bendylegs

Postby bendylegs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 22:27 pm

Rolf F wrote:Wasn't the Centaur spec'd bike the OP posted before a pre 2011 Centaur. £278 extra is a bargain for Powertorque Veloce to Ultratorque Centaur. TBH, I'd pay that for Veloce to Veloce.

It's a 2012 bike (for both the Veloce and Centaur). From what I can tell there is not too much difference between the 2012 Veloce and Centaur sets - but happy to take advice. Although the thought of (a) getting a red bike and (b) knocking the missus bandy in the same week will mean I'm unlikely to change :D

bendylegs

Postby bendylegs » Wed Jan 23, 2013 22:46 pm

Thanks for the tyre recommendations - I am going to change tyres pretty much immediately as I've read plenty on here saying the OE tyres are pants. Think I will upgrade the wheels too in the Spring. Any tips for pedals, as I would rather not move my Shimano Ultegras over. I'm thinking something straight forward to start - Keo Classics or Sprints?

Velonutter
Lives Here

Postby Velonutter » Wed Jan 23, 2013 23:02 pm

IMHO the Fulcrum 7's weigh loads more than the R5's and they roll better, I've had both on my training bike and the 7's were heavy.

The new Centaur Black & Red looks really sexy and with Carbon blades it looks loads better and is lighter.

I'd try and screw them down to £250 and grab the upgrade with both hands.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”