Womens Cycling

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Squaggles

Womens Cycling

Postby Squaggles » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Any idea why teams like Sky don't have a womens team ? It seems like it would be a very small extra outlay on top of the cost of the mens team

LeicesterLad

Re: Womens Cycling

Postby LeicesterLad » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:06 pm

Because unfortunately, in general, it simply doesn't pay to sponsor a womens team. :(

inkyfingers

Postby inkyfingers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:23 pm

LeicesterLad wrote:Because unfortunately, in general, it simply doesn't pay to sponsor a womens team. :(

Exactly.

Women's cycling is caught in a vicious circle....

Hardly anybody watches it because it's not financially viable to promote it well enough. It's not financially viable to promote it so therefore hardly anybody watches it.

The only way it will change is if the UCI force mens teams to invest in women's teams (which I don't like the idea of) or the UCI has to risk some of it's cash and do a better job of promoting the women's sport itself, in the hope that in the long term it will gain from any success.

I see Lizzie A has been banging on about this, she's becoming a feisty little one, maybe aiming to fill Nicole Cooke's old role in that respect.
"I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)

eh

Postby eh » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Armitstead says to run a top-flight women's team would cost around 450, 000 euros a year - an amount she describes as "nothing".

Funny idea of what nothing means. So for a 3 year team you are looking at the best part of 1.4million Euros, to pay someone to cycle for a living. The thing that women need to do is persuade companies what do they get for paying out all that cash?

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:39 pm

In an indirect way the DTPC Honda Team this year is kind of Sky linked- ish... as in lots of the young BC/Sky backed stars of the Olympic Team GB, backing from the Wiggo Foundation, etc.

I think Sky have got one more year of excuses and looking the other way in terms of not properly backing a women's team. But they may have missed a trick this year - the problem they might have next year is that many of the best GB riders might be tied up in 2 year+ contracts, so they might not even be able to get a team off the ground until end of 2014 (assuming they'd want to make the most of the Olympic stars and double junior World Champ Lucy Garner, etc).
Co-sponsoring could happen; but then maybe that doesn't fit with the Sky style?

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 pm

inkyfingers wrote:
LeicesterLad wrote:Because unfortunately, in general, it simply doesn't pay to sponsor a womens team. :(

Exactly.

Hardly anybody watches it because it's not financially viable to promote it well enough. It's not financially viable to promote it so therefore hardly anybody watches it.

The only way it will change is if the UCI force mens teams to invest in women's teams (which I don't like the idea of) or the UCI has to risk some of it's cash and do a better job of promoting the women's sport itself, in the hope that in the long term it will gain from any success.

I see Lizzie A has been banging on about this, she's becoming a feisty little one, maybe aiming to fill Nicole Cooke's old role in that respect.

La Lizzie has - she's just gone off again in another interview with the Beeb - but her problem is that unlike Emma Pooley for example, she doesnt come across well. In almost every interview she comes across as moany and negative, rather than constructive. In her latest intervew she has a pop at the new Wiggle Honda team ahead of its official launch tomorrow, and says that even if Sky set up a womens team, she wouldnt go there anyway ('na na, na na na').

Final straw is her bemoaning that she'll have to race against Vos all of her career, and 'it's horrible.'

There's a difference between straight talking and moaning.

LeicesterLad

Postby LeicesterLad » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:
inkyfingers wrote:

Exactly.

La Lizzie has - she's just gone off again in another interview with the Beeb - but her problem is that unlike Emma Pooley for example, she doesnt come across well. In almost every interview she comes across as moany and negative, rather than constructive. In her latest intervew she has a pop at the new Wiggle Honda team ahead of its official launch tomorrow, and says that even if Sky set up a womens team, she wouldnt go there anyway ('na na, na na na').

Final straw is her bemoaning that she'll have to race against Vos all of her career, and 'it's horrible.'

What an unbelievable thing to say!? She doesn't want to compete against the best in the sport?

bdu98252

Postby bdu98252 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Probably the same reason that the premier league don't have a womens league the day after or at the end of every mens match. If every major tour had a womans event the day before the mens then they would get some profile however it would mean additional road closures and logistical hassle.

Women in general are not viewers of sport. Men are and it could be argued that they are already fairly well catered for. If women wish to start getting sky sports packages and demanding more womens events for their pleasure then they would get what they wanted with female slanted ads during the breaks if they went out on mass.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:53 pm

'swat she said

'"It (the Tour of Flanders) is the only World Cup that Marianne has never won, so if I could get there before her that would be pretty sweet - but it's going to be tough.

"I expect Marianne to be the person to beat for the rest of my career.

"She's just a phenomenal rider. It's horrible."

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:55 pm

Richmond Racer wrote:
inkyfingers wrote:

Exactly.

Totally disagree.

Perhaps in print interviews that might come across (naughty journos stirring it up a bit? Shurely not...), but on't telly I've only thought what a top lady she is (the opposite of what you say): positive and constructive. On top of that, she's been bright and funny.

In that BBC interview I assume you're referring to she says she's trying to be honest but positive.

Her comment about Vos came across as nothing but respectful, to me. What would you expect her to say - she's up against the Merckx of women's cycling?

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:59 pm

well, guess its what each of us takes out of an interview. She keeps on banging on that she wants to be positive but...its quite a stack of interviews piling up now that arent presenting her in totally the best way. Maybe all of the journos involved are mispresenting her, or sub-editors are doing it for them.

JonGinge

Postby JonGinge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 13:00 pm

OCDuPalais wrote:
Richmond Racer wrote:
inkyfingers wrote:

Exactly.

Totally disagree.

Perhaps in print interviews that might come across (naughty journos stirring it up a bit? Shurely not...), but on't telly I've only thought what a top lady she is (the opposite of what you say): positive and constructive. On top of that, she's been bright and funny.

In that BBC interview I assume you're referring to she says she's trying to be honest but positive.

Her comment about Vos came across as nothing but respectful, to me. What would you expect her to say - she's up against the Merckx of women's cycling?
^This.
If we could see a video of the interview I'm pretty sure she would have been smiling/laughing when making the "it's horrible" remark.
FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
Planet-x Scott
Rides

JonGinge

Postby JonGinge » Thu Jan 24, 2013 13:02 pm

The problem with interviewers is they print what you say rather than how you say it. The bastards ;)
FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt

Planet-x Scott

Rides

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 13:02 pm

Anyway Lucy Garner's going to take over as the most prominent and successul Brit woman roadie within the next 3 years. I think it'll be her really taking it to Vos, and Barker..well, be interesting to see how she develops.

EDIT:

In interest of keeping it affable, I'll withdraw before I get branded as perpetrating a Lizzie witch-hunt

I'm sure she's a lovely, happy-go-lucky all-round great girl

(just her print interviews suck a little)

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 13:12 pm

The thing is, by and large, the only time we see the Women racing is at the Worlds and the British team have 'Sky' printed all over their kit. Job done as far as Sky are concerned.
Twitter: @RichN95

Jez mon

Postby Jez mon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 13:17 pm

OCDuPalais wrote:In an indirect way the DTPC Honda Team this year is kind of Sky linked- ish... as in lots of the young BC/Sky backed stars of the Olympic Team GB, backing from the Wiggo Foundation, etc.

I think Sky have got one more year of excuses and looking the other way in terms of not properly backing a women's team. But they may have missed a trick this year - the problem they might have next year is that many of the best GB riders might be tied up in 2 year+ contracts, so they might not even be able to get a team off the ground until end of 2014 (assuming they'd want to make the most of the Olympic stars and double junior World Champ Lucy Garner, etc).
Co-sponsoring could happen; but then maybe that doesn't fit with the Sky style?

Not sure, what happens after a year if sky don't start sponsoring a team? I also wouldn't particularly describe what they're doing as making excuses. There just isn't a business case that I can see for sponsoring a team, it might cost x times less, but it gets 0 times as much coverage.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live
Twitter

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Thu Jan 24, 2013 13:19 pm

Maybe someone on the hunt for sponsorship for a women's team should have a word with Richard Branston and get his lot in there before Sky.
Can't imagine there'd be any female cyclist who wouldn't want 'Virgin' on her chest...

LutherB

Postby LutherB » Thu Jan 24, 2013 13:21 pm

As opposed to being sponsored by the drink 'Pussy'

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 13:23 pm

OCDuPalais wrote:Maybe someone on the hunt for sponsorship for a women's team should have a word with Richard Branston and get his lot in there before Sky.
Can't imagine there'd be any female cyclist who wouldn't want 'Virgin' on her chest...

I'm back already!

The new team's jersey with 'Wiggle' across the chest is...erm...

davidof

Postby davidof » Thu Jan 24, 2013 16:56 pm

bdu98252 wrote:Women in general are not viewers of sport. Men are and it could be argued that they are already fairly well catered for.

English men like watching other men - something about the quality of the game. In France the main viewer demographic of the TdF is housewives, in Italy it is men that watch the Giro Donne, I guess they are less interested in the level of sportmanship.

Return to “Pro Race”