SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
muzzan
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 21:13 pm

SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby muzzan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 21:31 pm

Hi,

Probably missing something obvious here....

Have bought a set of cheapo Shimano M520 pedals & they've arrived with one side taken up with a clipped-in flat plastic pedal. As hard as I try I cant get them off even with the tension loosened right off. Short of taking a hacksaw to them is there an easy way of getting these off without damaging the pedals?

Cheers!

User avatar
CookeeeMonster
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2012 13:47 pm

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby CookeeeMonster » Thu Jan 24, 2013 21:36 pm

If theyre what I've got you'll need a screwdriver - tech doc is here: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 661952.pdf
Rose PRO DX CROSS-3000
Charge Filter

User avatar
nicklouse
Lives Here
Posts: 80713
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:14 pm

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby nicklouse » Thu Jan 24, 2013 21:38 pm

muzzan wrote:Hi,

Probably missing something obvious here....

Have bought a set of cheapo Shimano M520 pedals & they've arrived with one side taken up with a clipped-in flat plastic pedal. As hard as I try I cant get them off even with the tension loosened right off. Short of taking a hacksaw to them is there an easy way of getting these off without damaging the pedals?

Cheers!

fit them and twist.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

netman
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 22:39 pm

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby netman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 22:03 pm

Just bought those too - once you've slackened off the tension there is a small gap where you can insert a flat blade screwdriver and force the flat up and off - don't be shy, it takes a fair push but they do come off.

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13574
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby Rolf F » Thu Jan 24, 2013 22:24 pm

nicklouse wrote:
muzzan wrote:Hi,

Probably missing something obvious here....

Have bought a set of cheapo Shimano M520 pedals & they've arrived with one side taken up with a clipped-in flat plastic pedal. As hard as I try I cant get them off even with the tension loosened right off. Short of taking a hacksaw to them is there an easy way of getting these off without damaging the pedals?

Cheers!

fit them and twist.


This. No need to worry about screwdrivers or tension. If you can't get the platform off when it is fitted you probably won't be able to get your foot off the pedal either!
Faster than a tent.......

muzzan
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 21:13 pm

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby muzzan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 23:13 pm

Went for screwdriver option & got them...wasnt that hard really :oops:

Anyway, saves me taking pedals off current bike (these are for new bike which hasnt arrived yet)

Cheers for the helpful replies

HeatherMillsLeg
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 14:16 pm

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby HeatherMillsLeg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 17:53 pm

This can't have been a serious OP - can it?

I didn't know that these even came with pedal covers - my 3 pairs certainly haven't.

The OP must have got a bonus pair.

Speechless but already spoken too much....!

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13574
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby Rolf F » Fri Jan 25, 2013 18:02 pm

muzzan wrote:Went for screwdriver option & got them...wasnt that hard really :oops:

Anyway, saves me taking pedals off current bike (these are for new bike which hasnt arrived yet)


Or you could have left the flats on til the new bike arrived :wink:

HeatherMillsLeg wrote:This can't have been a serious OP - can it?


Why not? They are hard to remove when not attached to the bike. Try it sometime. Even shifting a shoe clipped to an unmounted pedal isn't that easy irrc.

I've had the platforms on one pair of SPDs out of about 4 pairs bought - they seemed to be OEM with little packaging. All the poshly packaged ones I've got have come without.
Faster than a tent.......

HeatherMillsLeg
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 14:16 pm

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby HeatherMillsLeg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 18:18 pm

Rolf F wrote:
muzzan wrote:Went for screwdriver option & got them...wasnt that hard really :oops:

Anyway, saves me taking pedals off current bike (these are for new bike which hasnt arrived yet)


Or you could have left the flats on til the new bike arrived :wink:

HeatherMillsLeg wrote:This can't have been a serious OP - can it?


Why not? They are hard to remove when not attached to the bike. Try it sometime. Even shifting a shoe clipped to an unmounted pedal isn't that easy irrc.

I've had the platforms on one pair of SPDs out of about 4 pairs bought - they seemed to be OEM with little packaging. All the poshly packaged ones I've got have come without.


OK whatever. All of the pedals I have had of this model have been brand new and "poshly packaged" or just BNIB with cleats.

None of them have come with platforms - maybe others would like to confirm their M520s have come with platforms attached...

They are sold as MTB SPD pedals - no mention of any dual function. Not sure why I would "Try it sometime." when the pedals I have had of this model have never come with em... Details

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759&gclid=CMmJsOCPhLUCFUbKtAod3BcArg

Maybe my next pair I will stick my shoe to them for absolutely no reason.

Cheers

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13574
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby Rolf F » Fri Jan 25, 2013 19:27 pm

HeatherMillsLeg wrote:None of them have come with platforms - maybe others would like to confirm their M520s have come with platforms attached...

They are sold as MTB SPD pedals - no mention of any dual function. Not sure why I would "Try it sometime." when the pedals I have had of this model have never come with em... Details

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759&gclid=CMmJsOCPhLUCFUbKtAod3BcArg

Maybe my next pair I will stick my shoe to them for absolutely no reason.

Cheers


Yep, you've got us. I think the OP and I and others will have to come clean. We made the whole thing up. The plastic pedal platforms don't exist at all - they are just a figment of our imaginations. It was all done just to confuse you.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/JIMTHISTLE/FS/DSC_1706.jpg
Faster than a tent.......

muzzan
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 21:13 pm

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby muzzan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 20:36 pm

LOL, was sure my last post would've been the end of the matter, seems someone's got a bizarre bee in their bonnet! Yes they came from Rose in Germany & were not packaged in the Shimano box etc, so must be to do with that.

TBH, I feel a bit silly having posted, was just being lazy really, hardly the toughest of jobs!

Bike arrived today as well, so happy days!

HeatherMillsLeg
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 14:16 pm

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby HeatherMillsLeg » Fri Jan 25, 2013 21:54 pm

muzzan wrote:LOL, was sure my last post would've been the end of the matter, seems someone's got a bizarre bee in their bonnet! Yes they came from Rose in Germany & were not packaged in the Shimano box etc, so must be to do with that.

TBH, I feel a bit silly having posted, was just being lazy really, hardly the toughest of jobs!

Bike arrived today as well, so happy days!


LOL - should have been! I thought you were taking the p - didn't know you could get em cheaper than £17.49 with cleats and cashback of 3 %.

Please advise where cos that's darn cheap!

Rolf - you have posted over 8000 posts. Surely you can't be a beginner anymore, can you?

Perhaps you need to stop taking yourself so seriously...

But as a veteran - perhaps move up to the pro boards? Or remove that stick that seems to have got stuck somewhere...

muzzan
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 21:13 pm

Re: SPD Pedals with flats attached on one side

Postby muzzan » Fri Jan 25, 2013 22:25 pm

Really didnt mean to start a squabble.... I would imagine the more experienced users visit this forum to lend their erm...experience? And a good thing too, otherwise it would be the blind leading the partially sighted as they say ;-)

Anyway, as I say, I got them from rose & I think they were £16-odd, but I didnt have to pay postage as they were part of a bike order, so that might scupper it, but lets be honest its pennies compared to the nonsense we spend on this hobby.


Return to “Road Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DJ58, gpgiant, Greywheeler, Martin19681968 and 4 guests