Why the price difference?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Avit5
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 20:29 pm

Why the price difference?

Postby Avit5 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 22:08 pm

These 2 bikes both have ultegra Di2 group set. Both carbon but with different wheels and finishing kit.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:557089
http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/trek-mad ... 64663.html

As you can see the Rose is nearly 1k cheaper than the Trek and in my opinion has slightly better spec.
So why is the Trek much more expensive ? Is the quality of the frame so much better? Would the ride be better on the Trek?
I know Rose are Internet only but even this surely does not mean their prices can be this much cheaper and the frames be as good.
Also appreciate that Trek offer lifetime warranty on their frames.

jibberjim
Posts: 2806
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 20:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Why the price difference?

Postby jibberjim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 22:16 pm

Rose are not internet only... they have a very large store, of course it's not that convenient for brits.

Frames are indeed different, not always that different, and often the differences may be in directions you don't want (ie more responsive bikes are generally less comfortable, if comfort is what you want...) and frames also fit differently. It may well be though that the trek is not worth that much more - I certainly wouldn't pay it.
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

SmoggySteve
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 20:10 pm

Re: Why the price difference?

Postby SmoggySteve » Sat Jan 26, 2013 22:20 pm

As far as I am aware, Rose sell direct online only. No middle man to push up the price ans helps keep overheads low. They have a good reputation in Germany. See a few about. Trek do have the added cost of the "brand " pushing up the price a bit. I know a sound cynical on that but it happens.

I would add to this the fact that cos Rose sells only online its harder to push out old stock than a chain store retailer. and "Due to the supplier wishing to prevent internet sales and mail order, this item can only be collected in store" on the JeJamescycles site suggests someone in store wants their sales commission

thecycleclinic
Posts: 3613
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 23:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Why the price difference?

Postby thecycleclinic » Sat Jan 26, 2013 22:25 pm

Everything rose do is cheaper. They get their won frame manufactured in the far east and sell them through their own internet shop. No distributors so less mark up. This means they buy all their components at OEM prices so they can do some good deals.

You would have to ride both bikes to one which one you like. I would take subjective reviews with a pinch of salt. The best review is the one you do.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

User avatar
nicklouse
Lives Here
Posts: 80713
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:14 pm

Re: Why the price difference?

Postby nicklouse » Sat Jan 26, 2013 22:25 pm

Rose is a bike maker so they sell of their excess kit. and the groups will be to their specs. hence the differences.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Avit5
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 20:29 pm

Re: Why the price difference?

Postby Avit5 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 22:28 pm

jibberjim wrote:Rose are not internet only... they have a very large store, of course it's not that convenient for brits.

Frames are indeed different, not always that different, and often the differences may be in directions you don't want (ie more responsive bikes are generally less comfortable, if comfort is what you want...) and frames also fit differently. It may well be though that the trek is not worth that much more - I certainly wouldn't pay it.

Yes sorry about incorrect bit about Internet only. They do indeed have a huge store you can visit.
So how do you now the lay up directions of the frames? Not easy to determine if its made for responsiveness or comfort.
That goes for all manufactures I would say. Only a test ride then would give you an idea but sometimes unless you can have a test ride for several hours it won't be easy to determine the quality of the frame is what an individual wants.
So the Rose frame then is not necessarily of poorer quality to get the price to that level including full di2 and decent wheels?

Avit5
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 20:29 pm

Re: Why the price difference?

Postby Avit5 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 22:40 pm

thecycleclinic wrote:Everything rose do is cheaper. They get their won frame manufactured in the far east and sell them through their own internet shop. No distributors so less mark up. This means they buy all their components at OEM prices so they can do some good deals.

You would have to ride both bikes to one which one you like. I would take subjective reviews with a pinch of salt. The best review is the one you do.

Riding both bikes though is a problem unless I take a trip to Germany. Like the look and price of Rose and Canyon bikes but can't test them out easily. Providing I thought I wasn't buying a far less quality frame on a Rose I would take a risk and purchase.

jibberjim
Posts: 2806
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 20:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Why the price difference?

Postby jibberjim » Sat Jan 26, 2013 22:45 pm

Avit5 wrote:Riding both bikes though is a problem unless I take a trip to Germany. Like the look and price of Rose and Canyon bikes but can't test them out easily. Providing I thought I wasn't buying a far less quality frame on a Rose I would take a risk and purchase.


The Rose is certainly not going to be a bad frame, but what do you actually want from a bike and frame - what are you going to do with it?

Test rides are also problematical, since you're often only testing the tyres/inner tubes/saddle/wheels/handlebar position etc. as those are the things that you really notice, but they're also things you can trivially change, so aren't really a fair test.

If that was really your only two choices, I'd take the Rose by a long way. You can buy a lot of cycling for 1000.
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

Avit5
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 20:29 pm

Re: Why the price difference?

Postby Avit5 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 22:56 pm

Thanks for the replies jibberjim. They are not my only choices but just 2 I picked on to highlight the prices.
For some reason I have it in my head to get di2 purely because I can for the money I am willing to spend on a bike.(if I go for a Rose or Canyon say) .Not necessarily stuck on the must be carbon though. Just want a new bike for my weekend rides that offers some comfort over 50-100 mile rides. Do like to beat my previous times though so want a bike that offers some responsiveness! I know my legs and lungs will have more to do with it though than the bike for my speed.
Also appreciate that wheels and tyres will assist in comfort terms.


Return to “Road Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DJ58, GrenW, lesfirth, mstrmind5, neilr4, rando and 11 guests