Is this a stupid question?

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
GT_Dave

Is this a stupid question?

Postby GT_Dave » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi all, someone once said theres no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people so here goes....... :P

I have fitted the QR skewer that came with my turbo trainer, should I fit the origonal one when i go out for a ride or will the turbo trainer one be ok?

I dont want to have a catastrophic accident and be mocked for using the wrong one!! :oops:

I await your mocking replys :D

Carbonator

Re: Is this a stupid question?

Postby Carbonator » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi.
No experience of trainers, but why would you not just put originals back on anyway?
How do the skewers differ? same weight/length?

Dont you have to have different tyre for a turbo trainer anyway?
Last edited by Carbonator on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IC.

Postby IC. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 pm

It'll be fine. It's just probably a bit heavier and a bit uglier than you're used to.

They give you a special one to use so they can be sure of a good fit with the ratched on the turbo, some QRs are very daft shapes

You don't HAVE to have a special tyre, but be aware your existing ones lifespan can be reduced due to heat build up
2015 Cervelo R3 DI2 - black & white
2015 CAAD8 105 - very green

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
Cannondale Synapse - broken
Cube Streamer - stolen
Boardman Road Comp - stolen

sancho_uk

Postby sancho_uk » Wed Jan 30, 2013 13:08 pm

No need to change back to your original skewer riding on the Turbo Trainer one is fine.

I do with mine..

However if i was going anywhere of note, I would switch back to my original skewer just because it looks prettier than the clunky grey metal one used for my Turbo Trainer..

Built for the same purpose though, the only difference as far as I am aware is the exterior for clamping to the trainer itself.
Focus Cayo 2.0 Ultegra 2012

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Wed Jan 30, 2013 15:32 pm

To be honest I still have my turbo QR on the winter bike & have no issues with it. Only a bit heavier but still designed to work in the same way so you wont have an accident. To those riders who mock you just show them your rear wheel and what the turbo training has done for you!!!!!
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

GT_Dave

Postby GT_Dave » Wed Jan 30, 2013 16:45 pm

Brilliant, cheers for the advice guys :-)

ForumNewbie

Postby ForumNewbie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 20:31 pm

You just need to ensure that if you do use a specific Turbo Trainer tyre, you can't use that on the road. I think that would be dangerous.

Return to “Road Beginners”