New bike advice?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
tyvirk

New bike advice?

Postby tyvirk » Fri Feb 01, 2013 21:39 pm

Hi,

First off I am new to the forum but I intend to read it daily. I am new to the sport but I want to learn as much as I can because I have always been interested in cycling but have been busy with other sports such as soccer and basketball. Now that I am in college and am more focused on school I am going to need something to do over the warmer months when I am home.

Last summer I purchased a used bike through craigslist. It is an older bike that only cost me $80 but I wanted to ride a little to make sure it was something I wanted to pursue before purchasing a entry level newer bike for $1000. The bike I currently have is a Raleigh Marathon and I believe it is a little to big for me but for $80 I couldn't go wrong.

So what I need is some advice on which way to go new bike wise. I am mainly going to be riding to keep an elite level of fitness. I want to enter a few local events this summer which is why I decided I should purchase a bike the better fits me.

My budget is roughly $1000 but would be willing to go a little higher if it is going to greatly benefit the quality of my cycle. I know you get what you pay for but I'm a college student and not trying to break the bank. Also I have no problem buying a lightly used bike or a leftover bike which I am assuming is the best route for someone like me with a relatively low budget.

I plan on going to some local shops in Syracuse, NY when I get home to try out some bikes. What I am leaning towards right now is a felt cycle. What do you guys think of this brand? From what I have read they are a good bike but I want some real knowledge.

The model I was leaning toward was the "f85" because it is in my price range. Maybe I could get a step up if it was a leftover from the year before. Is there a bike significantly better than this for the price? I also like the looks of felt bikes I don't know why

I was leaning towards the f series but some people really like the z series also. Any opinions?

All your help will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to participating in this forum.

g00se

Re: New bike advice?

Postby g00se » Fri Feb 01, 2013 23:22 pm

Hi,

Felt are a decent brand - but it's a matter of trying a few out and seeing which ones you like. I think the Z series bikes are more aimed at longer distance rides and have a more related geometry and wider gear range. The F series is more "head down".

EPO Delivery Man

Postby EPO Delivery Man » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:03 am

Hi, welcome to the forum!

The only experience i have of Felts is my friend has a Z85 and i have a Felt mtb.

I really like Felt bikes, they are well put together, components are good and the finishing looks really smart. They generally get good reviews here in the UK and they have a nice identity to them.

When my friend brought his Z85 round (black and red 2012 model) i was surprised just how good it looked in the flesh. Like a lot of bikes the pictures dont always do them justice. I was impressed with the looks, way more expensive looking than what he paid for it and then i had a go of it. Geometry wise i would say its slightly more relaxed than their other series but only a little. But if you are new to road cycling and getting into it then that may not be a bad thing anyway, you could always upgrade to a racier geometry later.
I really liked the ride on it, was comfortable, the 105 gearing worked well and i couldnt fault it. A quality bike for the money. My friend has now ridden it throughout the winter and it hasnt put a foot wrong.

As a side point ive not had a single problem with my mtb Felt either and ive put that through some abuse, its not a top of the range either just a Felt Q720 but its been great.

Dont think you can go wrong with Felts but of course there are other brands about like Trek and Cannondale for your price (and Giant of course) but its thumbs up from me for Felts. But of course you should try and sit on one before parting with your cash, as you might like the look of them but the minute you sit on one it might instantly hit you it doesnt feel right.

Good luck with the cycling.

tyvirk

Postby tyvirk » Sat Feb 02, 2013 16:14 pm

thanks a lot for the reply!

Return to “Road Buying Advice”