Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
User avatar
whitestar1
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 18:55 pm
Contact:

Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby whitestar1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 19:06 pm

I am trying to decide between using my iPhone 4S with app or getting a bike GPS like the Mio or Garmin. Issues
1 can't afford the Garmin 800 or 500
2 want turn by turn navigation
3 want all the technical data will get ANT and the other monitors over time

I am buying a Tigra Sport Bike Console Mount. Any better case out there?
Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

User avatar
VTech
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 19:31 pm

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby VTech » Sat Feb 02, 2013 19:13 pm

I dont know enough about the cycle gps systems but you would be hard pushed to beat the 4s, ive had 2 work iphones stolen and got them back through gps tracking within 45 minutes each time.
I can even find out which bedroom one of the kids has left their iPods using the gps.
Living MY dream.

User avatar
freezing77
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 18:19 pm
Contact:

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby freezing77 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 19:27 pm

whitestar1 wrote:I am trying to decide between using my iPhone 4S with app or getting a bike GPS like the Mio or Garmin. Issues
1 can't afford the Garmin 800 or 500
2 want turn by turn navigation
3 want all the technical data will get ANT and the other monitors over time

I am buying a Tigra Sport Bike Console Mount. Any better case out there?


It all comes down to battery life.
Garmin 800 say 15 hours
Garmin etrex say 20 hours and uses standard AA batteries therefore can be swapped mid ride.
Iphone using GPS and turn by turn directions say 4-5 hours

p1tse
Posts: 830
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby p1tse » Sat Feb 02, 2013 19:42 pm

I wouldn't like to put the iphone on handlebar even with a specific case and put it through its paces
Moisture can wipe these phones and cost more

Saying that I got a used garmin edge 200, good little bit of kit but tbh if I can I would like the 500 for Hr and cadence too

Before that I had the 4s in my pocket running the garmin app which for the money is good, although it wasn't as accurate as it gave me a peak speed of almost 60mph lol

Also why do you need nav, are you going to new places ?

dab_32
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 13:56 pm

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby dab_32 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 20:02 pm

I started using Strava on my 4S and now use an Edge 500 and upload to Strava. The funny thing is, even seven months and lots of cycling later, I find it really hard to get any PB's on the same routes I rode 7 months ago.

This leads me to a few conclusions. Im defo fitter and stronger than when I started so either:

1) I'm slower in winter due to wet roads, cold temps etc

2) My Garmin is more accurate than my iPhone

3) The psychology of starting cycling again made me push harder so I got better times and now I'm lazy.

I much prefer the edge and having been knocked off the other day, I'm glad my iPhone wasn't on my bars.

User avatar
lotus49
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:52 am

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby lotus49 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 22:22 pm

Having read quite a bit, both positive and negative on this forum about bike specific GPS devices, I am thoroughly unconvinced that they offer anything significant in terms of functionality over a smartphone and the right apps.

However, freezing77 above is right, battery life on most recent smartphones (eg iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3) is woeful and if you need turn-by-turn navigation and mapping for more than about 4 hours, you will have to shell out for something with better battery life.

User avatar
whitestar1
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 18:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby whitestar1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:17 pm

p1tse wrote:I wouldn't like to put the iphone on handlebar even with a specific case and put it through its paces
Moisture can wipe these phones and cost more

Saying that I got a used garmin edge 200, good little bit of kit but tbh if I can I would like the 500 for Hr and cadence too

Before that I had the 4s in my pocket running the garmin app which for the money is good, although it wasn't as accurate as it gave me a peak speed of almost 60mph lol

Also why do you need nav, are you going to new places ?


Going Wales for two days cycle trip and want to beable to have maps. I know, it would be easier to have a print out, but on a device would be so much easier.
Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

User avatar
whitestar1
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 18:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby whitestar1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 pm

So it all boils down to battery life and the gps devices wins hands down on that issue. Yet why are they so expensive? I mean look at the cost of a low end TomTom!
Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

User avatar
VTech
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 19:31 pm

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby VTech » Mon Feb 04, 2013 15:40 pm

whitestar1 wrote:So it all boils down to battery life and the gps devices wins hands down on that issue. Yet why are they so expensive? I mean look at the cost of a low end TomTom!



You really don't want to go there my friend. I came to the forum for help and advice and made the wrong comment and now I'm more frowned upon than an 80's pop star shouting "dya wanna be in my gang" whilst in a classroom full of 8 year olds.
Living MY dream.

User avatar
whitestar1
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 18:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby whitestar1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 15:44 pm

VTech wrote:You really don't want to go there my friend. I came to the forum for help and advice and made the wrong comment and now I'm more frowned upon than an 80's pop star shouting "dya wanna be in my gang" whilst in a classroom full of 8 year olds.

Well I work at a school, so classroom isn't a strange place :lol:
Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

User avatar
VTech
Posts: 4738
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 19:31 pm

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby VTech » Mon Feb 04, 2013 16:44 pm

Where abouts in the midlands are you based ?
Living MY dream.

MisterMuncher
Posts: 1056
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 00:56 am

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby MisterMuncher » Mon Feb 04, 2013 23:25 pm

whitestar1 wrote:So it all boils down to battery life and the gps devices wins hands down on that issue. Yet why are they so expensive? I mean look at the cost of a low end TomTom!


It's the weatherproofing, miniaturising, internal power and suchlike, it all adds up. The small amount of competing players in the market probably doesn't help, but it's evidently not just as simple as sticking a car nav in a smaller box and hoping for the best, or all the firms in that arena would be hard at it. Bryton devices are a fair bit cheaper, I believe the 35 does turn-by-turn Nav if routes are planned online (can't do it live) and even the basic 20 supports ANT+ cadence, speed. The 35 and up support power metering too.


Saw this t'other day, can't say I'm not tempted.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Boxed-Bry ... 2327b1bab6

Couldn't beat that with a big stick.

vorsprung
Posts: 1871
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 07:45 am
Contact:

Re: Bike GPS vs iPhone with GPS app

Postby vorsprung » Tue Feb 05, 2013 14:09 pm

freezing77 wrote:Garmin etrex say 20 hours and uses standard AA batteries therefore can be swapped mid ride.
Iphone using GPS and turn by turn directions say 4-5 hours


My eTrex 20 will do more than 24h on a fresh pair of sonyo black enloop hybrid batteries

Couple of things on the blog about the Etrex and using a Android phone as a GPS

http://audaxing.wordpress.com/tag/GPS/


Return to “Road Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests