which computer?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
bazzer2

which computer?

Postby bazzer2 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 15:28 pm

I have a polar hrm, it's pretty tricky to use on the bike. I just bought a cateye double wireless but I'm Very disappointed with it. It rattles and the display is feint, so that's out too.
I don't need navigation, but I would like heart rate, cadence and speed. A GPS to upload to strava would be nice.
Garmin 500 or bryton 40?
I have a Mac or android tablet to connect, so compatibility is also an issue.

lc1981

Re: which computer?

Postby lc1981 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 16:56 pm

The Garmin should be compatible because it works via the Garmin Connect website, so all you need is an internet connection and a USB port.

cookdn

Postby cookdn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 19:24 pm

bazzer2 wrote:I have a polar hrm, it's pretty tricky to use on the bike. I just bought a cateye double wireless but I'm Very disappointed with it. It rattles and the display is feint, so that's out too.
I don't need navigation, but I would like heart rate, cadence and speed. A GPS to upload to strava would be nice.
Garmin 500 or bryton 40?
I have a Mac or android tablet to connect, so compatibility is also an issue.

I've just moved from a Polar CS100 to the Bryton Rider40 and I am very happy. I believe the Bryton Web App isn't as slick as the Garmin but I find it plenty functional for my purposes and you can push GPS tracks to your Strava account directly. They have versions of the Bryton Bridge connectivity software for both PC and Mac.

Unfortunately you've just missed out on an excellent deal from Evans where they were selling the Rider40 and the Bryton ANT+ HRM belt for £100 (back to £135 for the GPS on its own). A good deal at the moment is Merlin at £126 for the GPS and HRM (once the extra 10% discount is applied at checkout).

The nearest equivalent Garmin device is the Edge500 (the Edge200 doesn't support ANT+) but from a quick search on pricing you would have to budget at least £180 if you wanted GPS and HRM (you could try Handtec).

Best regards
Boardman CX Team

bazzer2

Postby bazzer2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:49 am

Excellent, thanks Cookdn - how are you finding the Bryton in use? Could you give me an insight into how it is to live with - any niggles or 'wish it would work like this' issues?
I don't mind spending money on the right thing, but after a litter of useless gadgets I'm keen to get the one that sees me for the long term!

Return to “Road Buying Advice”