Alternatives to the Giant Defy 1

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
tvducks

Alternatives to the Giant Defy 1

Postby tvducks » Sun Feb 03, 2013 22:36 pm

I have just returned from 3 years touring and I'm looking for change, and a new bike.

I want a bike that i can use for fun at the weekend, a bike that will allow me to go for long rides but also get into competitive road riding. I have £1000 to spend and I'm lost in options. The one that seems to stand out in online reviews and bike shops is the Giant Defy 1. It looks great but I'm trying to find alternatives so i can make an educated choice.

anyone have any ideas what i can take a look at.

lc1981

Re: Alternatives to the Giant Defy 1

Postby lc1981 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 23:04 pm

How about a Cannondale CAAD? They always get good reviews, the frame is a Grand Tour winner and the CAAD8 would be within your budget.

Vinnyc19

Postby Vinnyc19 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 00:43 am

The defy is good spec for money

You could also try a Specialized Roubaix or Scott cr1

elderone

Postby elderone » Mon Feb 04, 2013 00:53 am

You could try Ribble and build a bike to spec.The defy 1 does seem to be a popular choice at the £1k mark.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

MacLeod113

Postby MacLeod113 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 01:58 am

Trek 2.1? i've had 2 and never had a problem?
Trek 2.1 2013
Willier GTR 2014

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Mon Feb 04, 2013 06:53 am

Vinnyc19 wrote:The defy is good spec for money

You could also try a Specialized Roubaix or Scott cr1

Very helpful.. lets recommend bikes outside the OP's price range!

Under £1k I'd be looking at:

Giant Defy 1
Trek Domane
Cannodale Caad8
Boardman Road Team
Canyon Roadlite
Scott Speedster 20

I probably wouldn't bother with carbon.

I think the current issue of Cycling+ has the annual £1k sportive bike reviews in.. could be worth picking it up? (a few of them are already online though - eg. http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-trek-domane-20-13-46914)

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:29 pm

I'd be looking at PX and Ribble assuming I was confident of getting a good fit from mail order (or if I lived near Preston or Rotherham!).

For a grand you can get a very nice carbon framed bike and be safe in the knowledge that you won't in six months be thinking 'why didn't I get a carbon bike'?!! More than just the frame, a nice aspect of these suppliers is that you can spec everything just as you do on top end bikes. What you end up with will probably be unique - even if only in a small way!
Faster than a tent.......

fsman

Postby fsman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 18:31 pm

+1 for Ribble. Give them a call and they will help you with the measurements.

The Fuggler

Postby The Fuggler » Tue Feb 05, 2013 14:42 pm

Certainly worth giving the CAAD 8 a go and the Spesh Domane, which has had some great reviews. Think a Trek 2.1 was mentioned too? I quite liked that when I tested it.

If you fancied trying something different, you could look at a Genesis Equilibrium. I think the 10 might be slightly above your budget, but you could always haggle. Should be able to get 10% discount in many bike shops which would get it very close to 1k.

I'm a big fan of Giants though, so a Defy would do it for me.

How about a Cinelli Experience? Certainly a bit different. Look lovely in the flesh.
FCN 3 / 4

tvducks

Postby tvducks » Tue Feb 05, 2013 19:30 pm

Cheers for the response everyone. That really gives me a lot to think about! Ribble seems to have come up a lot so I will have to give them a call!

"ALIHISGREAT" I have never heard of the Canyon Roadlite and the spec looks fantastic. I even like the paint. I’m sure there must be a catch!

Thanks "The Fuggler" I did look at genesis but wanted to go aluminium so looked at the Volant 20 but despite a loving the retro look you just don’t seem to get the same level of kit the competition! It would match my new Brooks saddle though!

"Rolf F" as for the carbon option, my understanding was that if I’m spending a grand then I either get a top end aluminium frame or a low end carbon meaning the advantages of carbon are outweighed by better alu frame quality. Is that a fair appraisal or is there another argument?

I’ll let you know how I get on

tvducks

Postby tvducks » Tue Feb 05, 2013 19:49 pm

Anyone got any opinions on this Bianchi, i know nothing about Campagnolo gears. At the risk of sounding a little shallow... it certainly looks cool!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bia ... e-ec045189

♠ChumBucket♠

Postby ♠ChumBucket♠ » Tue Feb 05, 2013 20:27 pm

Have you looked at the Sensa range?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... nsa-bikes/

They get good press.
B'TWIN Triban 5A
Ridgeback MX6

lc1981

Postby lc1981 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 22:58 pm

tvducks wrote:"Rolf F" as for the carbon option, my understanding was that if I’m spending a grand then I either get a top end aluminium frame or a low end carbon meaning the advantages of carbon are outweighed by better alu frame quality. Is that a fair appraisal or is there another argument?

Some people will disagree and tell you to go for carbon over aluminium, but this is why I recommended the CAAD8.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Tue Feb 05, 2013 23:50 pm

tvducks wrote:"Rolf F" as for the carbon option, my understanding was that if I’m spending a grand then I either get a top end aluminium frame or a low end carbon meaning the advantages of carbon are outweighed by better alu frame quality. Is that a fair appraisal or is there another argument?

It's what a few people say but it's never backed up with any evidence. There is a presumption that cheap carbon frames are poor but you can buy bikes that cost twice the price of the equivalent Ribble and have exactly the same frames. The reviews (if you believe anything in any of the reviews!) don't seem to agree that cheap carbon frames are poor and the fact is that carbon frames are cheap to make so the relationship between quality and cost is hardly clear.

The only aluminium frame that is ever given as an example of a frame superior to a cheap carbon one is the Caad - and that is a very racy geometry frame that won't suit everyone.

Personally, if I wanted a good racy frame for 1k I'd give the Caad a close look but otherwise, IMO £1k is too much now to spend on an alloy framed bike.

There seems to be little negative to say about Canyons as long as you don't have a problem with it - then things can get a bit tricky it would seem.

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Wed Feb 06, 2013 00:14 am

Rolf F wrote:

It's what a few people say but it's never backed up with any evidence. There is a presumption that cheap carbon frames are poor but you can buy bikes that cost twice the price of the equivalent Ribble and have exactly the same frames. The reviews (if you believe anything in any of the reviews!) don't seem to agree that cheap carbon frames are poor and the fact is that carbon frames are cheap to make so the relationship between quality and cost is hardly clear.

The only aluminium frame that is ever given as an example of a frame superior to a cheap carbon one is the Caad - and that is a very racy geometry frame that won't suit everyone.

Personally, if I wanted a good racy frame for 1k I'd give the Caad a close look but otherwise, IMO £1k is too much now to spend on an alloy framed bike.

There seems to be little negative to say about Canyons as long as you don't have a problem with it - then things can get a bit tricky it would seem.

Nice section at the bottom of this review on cheap carbon vs aluminium -> http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/gear-news/cube-agree-gtc-review-7721.html#slide-1

I think he's spot on and I don't get the obsession with cheap carbon frames...

riggsy81

Postby riggsy81 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:57 am

Cinelli Experience with Campagnolo Veloce - not that I'm biased honest :)

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:04 am

ALIHISGREAT wrote:Nice section at the bottom of this review on cheap carbon vs aluminium -> http://roadcyclinguk.com/news/gear-news/cube-agree-gtc-review-7721.html#slide-1

I think he's spot on and I don't get the obsession with cheap carbon frames...

Have you ridden cheap carbon frames and compared them with expensive ones? I own both. Both are good. That's just my opinion but that review is just the other blokes opinion. You place great store in the positive reviews of the Defy on BR but the same people are giving equally positive reviews of bikes like the Ribble Sportive and GF. You can't have it both ways :wink:

I'm open minded to both - I know the Defy is good (and I know you love them!) and I'd have one at £800 but at £1000 I see no advantage and a few disadvantages to the Defy over the carbon alternatives.

tvducks

Postby tvducks » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for all your help ewveryone. In the end i decided to go with the Canyon Roadlite 6.0 SL in White. It arrives tomorrow. :) I cant wait!

TheDizzle

Postby TheDizzle » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:52 pm

tvducks wrote:Thanks for all your help ewveryone. In the end i decided to go with the Canyon Roadlite 6.0 SL in White. It arrives tomorrow. :) I cant wait!

I have the same dilemma of which bike to choose and have been looking at the Canyon. Can you post your thoughts on it once you've been for a spin?

Cheers.

mlefa30

Postby mlefa30 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:57 pm

let us know how it rides. I'm seriously torn between the canyon & a sensa bike, so feedback is always good !!!

Return to “Road Buying Advice”