The Secret Pro

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
frenchfighter

The Secret Pro

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:18 am

Cyclingtips have recently started one of these secret pro series and here is the latest installment. It is pretty interesting. I vaguely remember there being a topic on the first installment but can't find it. If someone does then please link it here so the threads can be merged.

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2013/02/l ... son-begin/

Contador is the Greatest

Garry H

Re: The Secret Pro

Postby Garry H » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 am

Not really that interesting or candid from someone writing under a pseudonym, apart from the Scarponi bit, but ok nonetheless. Perhaps there are tastier bits to come!

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:47 am

Not many 'juicy' bits but it is an inside look into the world of a pro which is very interesting for me.
Contador is the Greatest

Cleat Eastwood

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:56 am

Yes, I remembered the fetching illustrator graphics - is this the previous thread?
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

ThanksBye

Postby ThanksBye » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:57 am

I wonder what groupset he is referring to here:

Everyone in the pro peloton bashes one particular groupset though. It’s all in good fun, but it’s an unwritten rule that you have to take the wee-wee out of the guys who are on that groupset.

frenchfighter

Postby frenchfighter » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:09 pm

Yeah that's the one Cleat.
Contador is the Greatest

Garry H

Postby Garry H » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:14 pm

ThanksBye wrote:I wonder what groupset he is referring to here:

Everyone in the pro peloton bashes one particular groupset though. It’s all in good fun, but it’s an unwritten rule that you have to take the wee-wee out of the guys who are on that groupset.

This is what I meant up above. He could at least name the groupset.

I reckon I could make a good bash of writing something like this, without being very specific. eg I could take a good guess that neo-pros will be over-eager to impress and will burn out early in the season because of it. There's nothing to see here that you don't read about in Dan Martin's column in Pro Cycling. It's not that much of a insight. It does have potential though and look forward to reading it as te season progresses.

MajorMantra

Postby MajorMantra » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Hmmm, can't be Di2 and this suggests maybe not EPS either, but that's open to interpretation:

The electronic groupsets is where it’s at nowdays. Di2 has been brilliant. – absolutely flawless. From what I understand the 11spd Dura Ace is even better. It’s now just like Campag where you hold the button in and it just goes up or down the cassette. The riders say great things about it.

Seems unlikely that it's 7900 or 9000 mechanical or SR11, so SRAM Red? Or something else?

mr_poll

Postby mr_poll » Tue Feb 05, 2013 13:03 pm

Thanks for this FF - good read. Agree with you it's good to get an insight - in some respects glad there isnt something too juicy given the last 6 months it will be nice just to get back to business as usual and racing.

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Tue Feb 05, 2013 13:30 pm

MajorMantra wrote:

Hmmm, can't be Di2 and this suggests maybe not EPS either, but that's open to interpretation:

The electronic groupsets is where it’s at nowdays. Di2 has been brilliant. – absolutely flawless. From what I understand the 11spd Dura Ace is even better. It’s now just like Campag where you hold the button in and it just goes up or down the cassette. The riders say great things about it.

Seems unlikely that it's 7900 or 9000 mechanical or SR11, so SRAM Red? Or something else?

I had a sordid fling with SRAM Red one Summer before discovering that despite some fun but sweaty cavorts, we weren't really that suited; it was the double-click thing. Then we started shouting at one another...
Went back to Campag with my head held low.
We've since re-confirmed our vows. Besides, my tools all fit Campag.

We're expecting a new groupset in the Spring.

TMR

Postby TMR » Tue Feb 05, 2013 13:59 pm

OCDuPalais wrote:I had a sordid fling with SRAM Red one Summer before discovering that despite some fun but sweaty cavorts, we weren't really that suited; it was the double-click thing. Then we started shouting at one another...
Went back to Campag with my head held low.
We've since re-confirmed our vows. Besides, my tools all fit Campag.

We're expecting a new groupset in the Spring.

I've wanted to say for sometime that I think you are an incredibly intelligent and sharp chap. I love reading your posts - you're wasted on here IMHO.
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

OCDuPalais

Postby OCDuPalais » Tue Feb 05, 2013 15:16 pm

What with it being a tepid-bed of sarcasm round here, I gave it 10 minutes to see if you were pulling my leg...( you're not, are you? It's a rare treat to see words of appreciation)

If not, then thanks very much. The feelings mutual...

And you're right: I'm often wasted on here...

ALIHISGREAT

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Tue Feb 05, 2013 15:37 pm

Isn't it our responsibility as an on-line community to speculate widely about who The Secret Pro is?

and so far I haven't seen any speculation (apart from about groupsets!)-> I'm going to say its most likely an Aussie (for obvious reasons)?

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Tue Feb 05, 2013 15:42 pm

I think it feels like it's written by an Aussie

I found myself drifting into an Aussie accent in my head whilst reading it...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 15:43 pm

there's a strong belief that he's an OGE guy (not that it narrows it down too much)

g00se

Postby g00se » Tue Feb 05, 2013 15:50 pm

Also, from what he says, it'll be a team that's running 10-speed Di2 but who haven't gone up to the 11-speed stuff yet,

ThomThom

Postby ThomThom » Tue Feb 05, 2013 15:51 pm

Sheffield United's very own Dave Kitson will very soon publish a sequel to the 'The Secret Footballer' ...

Macaloon

Postby Macaloon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 16:04 pm

Does this count for PTP points?

I'll have Koen de Kort based on how it reads in a Steve McClaren accent. And he has form: http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2012/12/ask-koen-de-kort/
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

guity

Postby guity » Tue Feb 05, 2013 16:06 pm

I'm not sure its an Aussie. In the first one he says he had an extended off season because he was on his mtb due to the cod weather. If you were an aussie surely you would spend the off season at home? I would say American due to going to the 'gas station'. his mention of specialized shoes being unbranded makes me think he isnt riding for a team who's bike company who make shoes (thinking Scott or Trek) as it sounds like something others are doing rather than a 1st had account. Also, I dont think he is on Garmin due to the reference of a DS being a mouthy pr1ck but appreciating what he is doing, I assume that is JV? I would also rule out any sky riders due to the mention of the odd timing of getting his training bike. I'm heavily leaning towards a BMC rider (they are on dura-ace too so that assumption above would fit) but not sure who fits the bill...

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Tue Feb 05, 2013 16:12 pm

Your points are all good guity...
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Return to “Pro Race”