Mac vs PC

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
mr_eddy
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 15:26 pm

Mac vs PC

Postby mr_eddy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 am

Ok so in a effort to ignite debate I thought I would put up a couple of posts on the problems of both Mac and PC. As I IT Engineer I believe I have more than enough experience with both platforms to offer my thoughts.

Firstly its the turn of Mac's , so what are the problems (in my opinion).#

1. Massively Overpriced.
Ok for several years now Mac's have been incorporating Intel and other traditionally PC based components into their computers, they are made in China just like every just about every other computer (don't let the designed in California sticker fool you).

So why do they cost twice, thrice or even four times the price of a similar spec Windows based computer? Assume you have £1000 for a laptop this will get you a Acer V3 with 17" screen, Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 1000GB HDD and stand alone graphics, Blu Ray and Win 8.

For the same cash you get the cheapest mac book pro (£999) with 13" screen, Intel core i5 processor, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD and Intel shared graphics. If you want the retina display then better start that re-mortgage application

2. Upgrade Options.
Ok so assume you have bought a Mac desktop computer and a Windows desktop computer. Lets assume the same £1000 budget and both computers are fine. Now lets assume its 18 months down the line and you want to play the latest and greatest "COD:When Korea goes bad" game that requires some immense graphics card.

(Let's just look past the fact that most games are not even available on Mac)

In the Windows computer you pop over to Amazon or Ebuyer etc and for £60 you buy a decent PCI-E graphics card, slot it into place, install the drivers job done. You are all set for another 18 months.

With the Mac your stuffed, that's right the only upgrade on your Mac (that is to say the only upgrade that does not require soldering equipment and a note of approval from Mac HQ) is the RAM. Solution = Buy new Mac! EPIC FAIL!!!

3. No right click! Aaargh!
You have Office or Photoshop or any software on Windows and you want to pick a task, lets say compress and send a file to email, you just use the right click feature of your two click mouse. Job Done!

On you silly 1 click mouse on the Mac you have type War and Peace into the keyboard in the way of shortcuts before being able to do the same thing.

4. Mac's are for idiots!
In my profession I see a lot of different people, I admit this next point is stereo typing but I am of the unshakeable conviction that people who have Mac's are of questionable mental ability. Without exception every person who has brought me a Mac to fix/repair etc is someone who I would not trust to sit the right way on the toilet.

If you are the sort of person who used to have a Windows computer but it kept getting viruses and it subsequently turns out that you are also the sort of person who clicks yes to a 'Would you like a £1'000'000' pop up on the Internet then maybe your first priority is not to switch computers but maybe wonder if you are actually ready to have a computer in the first place.

This leads me onto my final point

5. Mac's DO get viruses !
Just because most viruses are found on Windows computers does not mean that Mac's can't get a virus. It's simple really if the majority of computer users around the world use Windows then the architects of viruses are going to make the viruses for Windows based computers. The myth that Mac's are immune to viruses is rubbish! As Mac's get more and more popular there will be more and more viruses. Simple

I also re-iterate my point above, if you are constantly getting viruses then maybe you need to stop going on dodgy 'Men's special interest websites' and stop replying to the 'grow 10 inches' emails !

I have owned the same Windows laptop for 2 years and I have never had a virus.

Ok that is the Mac rant over, I am generating my list for why Windows computers suck now too, so this will be a 2 way argument all in the name of fair play.

Thoughts ?

User avatar
team47b
Posts: 5301
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 18:39 pm

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby team47b » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:17 am

mr_eddy wrote:3. No right click! Aaargh!


:D


engineer.
my isetta is a 300cc bike

estampida
Posts: 1001
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:35 am

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby estampida » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:19 am

I said the same things (some time ago) and had some mac man try and shout me down..... nice open debate :roll:

quite frankly Mac want to be like Polaroid was 30 years ago, which means they will put all their eggs in 1 sleek basket and then become obsolete...... in a slow and painful way

are you an architect or media / artist sort.... no ? well don't buy a mac

and I'm sure that is why itunes is so sh1t on a PC, to try and nudge you into buying a mac, as every other media player is drag and drop....... whats all that about

and get me started on mouse controls

and on the PC side windows takes too much of a cut, a £300 laptop, just slightly less than 50% goes to windows for the OS license, its like printing money

and the other side where the f@@k is linux,, it should be kicking both their backsides, open source, free, unlocked and compatible with all computers.....

mr_eddy
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 15:26 pm

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby mr_eddy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:31 am

Good to get some responses. Linux is excellent and Red Hat is quite slick the issue is just not enough software is designed for it especially corporate stuff like a email client that supports full exchange etc but its getting their and with the advent of the excellent Raspberry Pi redhat is starting to become a good choice for people who want a super cheap media center computer.

User avatar
bompington
Posts: 4684
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 am

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby bompington » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:32 am

estampida wrote:and on the PC side windows takes too much of a cut, a £300 laptop, just slightly less than 50% goes to windows for the OS license, its like printing money

Looks like Mr Dell should be heading down to PC World to pick up a few discs for a heck of a lot less then?
Or maybe your figure is a bit fanciful...

User avatar
giant man
Posts: 10961
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 16:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby giant man » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:41 pm

mr_eddy wrote:Ok so in a effort to ignite debate I thought I would put up a couple of posts on the problems of both Mac and PC. As I IT Engineer I believe I have more than enough experience with both platforms to offer my thoughts.

Firstly its the turn of Mac's , so what are the problems (in my opinion).#

1. Massively Overpriced.
Ok for several years now Mac's have been incorporating Intel and other traditionally PC based components into their computers, they are made in China just like every just about every other computer (don't let the designed in California sticker fool you).

So why do they cost twice, thrice or even four times the price of a similar spec Windows based computer? Assume you have £1000 for a laptop this will get you a Acer V3 with 17" screen, Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 1000GB HDD and stand alone graphics, Blu Ray and Win 8.

For the same cash you get the cheapest mac book pro (£999) with 13" screen, Intel core i5 processor, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD and Intel shared graphics. If you want the retina display then better start that re-mortgage application

2. Upgrade Options.
Ok so assume you have bought a Mac desktop computer and a Windows desktop computer. Lets assume the same £1000 budget and both computers are fine. Now lets assume its 18 months down the line and you want to play the latest and greatest "COD:When Korea goes bad" game that requires some immense graphics card.

(Let's just look past the fact that most games are not even available on Mac)

In the Windows computer you pop over to Amazon or Ebuyer etc and for £60 you buy a decent PCI-E graphics card, slot it into place, install the drivers job done. You are all set for another 18 months.

With the Mac your stuffed, that's right the only upgrade on your Mac (that is to say the only upgrade that does not require soldering equipment and a note of approval from Mac HQ) is the RAM. Solution = Buy new Mac! EPIC FAIL!!!

3. No right click! Aaargh!
You have Office or Photoshop or any software on Windows and you want to pick a task, lets say compress and send a file to email, you just use the right click feature of your two click mouse. Job Done!

On you silly 1 click mouse on the Mac you have type War and Peace into the keyboard in the way of shortcuts before being able to do the same thing.

4. Mac's are for idiots!
In my profession I see a lot of different people, I admit this next point is stereo typing but I am of the unshakeable conviction that people who have Mac's are of questionable mental ability. Without exception every person who has brought me a Mac to fix/repair etc is someone who I would not trust to sit the right way on the toilet.

If you are the sort of person who used to have a Windows computer but it kept getting viruses and it subsequently turns out that you are also the sort of person who clicks yes to a 'Would you like a £1'000'000' pop up on the Internet then maybe your first priority is not to switch computers but maybe wonder if you are actually ready to have a computer in the first place.

This leads me onto my final point

5. Mac's DO get viruses !
Just because most viruses are found on Windows computers does not mean that Mac's can't get a virus. It's simple really if the majority of computer users around the world use Windows then the architects of viruses are going to make the viruses for Windows based computers. The myth that Mac's are immune to viruses is rubbish! As Mac's get more and more popular there will be more and more viruses. Simple

I also re-iterate my point above, if you are constantly getting viruses then maybe you need to stop going on dodgy 'Men's special interest websites' and stop replying to the 'grow 10 inches' emails !

I have owned the same Windows laptop for 2 years and I have never had a virus.

Ok that is the Mac rant over, I am generating my list for why Windows computers suck now too, so this will be a 2 way argument all in the name of fair play.

Thoughts ?

You are talking out of your bottom, young man. You have obviously never owned a Mac. Been using a Mac for 20 years. No regrets, no hassle (unlike any Windoze rubbish on the market) and NO viruses. Your argument is nothing new. Always get this rubbish from PC users. Old discussion ....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

User avatar
thegreatdivide
Posts: 4252
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby thegreatdivide » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 pm

Just bought a Dell XPS 15 with 1TB HD, 32Gb SSD, full HD and a monster i7 processors all stuck inside a very sexy aluminium box – only downside was (I thought) Windows 8 but it’s turned out to be quite fun OS. Same laptop power and hard drive on a Mac Book Pro would have cost a grand more.

I bought my laptop to crunch video and make music. It’s going to do a grand job.

For what it’s worth I’ve used Apple products from the early 80’s (my old man’s Apple II), through to the very first fish tank Macintosh when I was at art college and into the G3's – then I got bored and went PC. Never looked back.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

User avatar
daviesee
Posts: 6445
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 18:37 pm

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby daviesee » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:23 pm

Nice trolling! :lol:
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

robpow
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:09 pm

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby robpow » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:44 pm

Horses for courses

As a Mac user and former Windows-advocate I'd tend to agree on most of the sentiments. Macs tend to be bought by people who don't want to know how or why the computer works, they just want minimal fuss and not worry about driver updates or frequent popups about upgrades, hot fixes and reboots.

I also used to upgrade graphics cards and add extra USB ports and what-not when we had PCs. Then I decided that I wanted to focus my time on other things as that was too similar to my day-job, so I scrapped our Windows PC and laptop and replaced with a Macbook and an iMac and have never looked back since. I don't see a conflict between being a Windows engineer and a Mac user.

At home, knowing that the next Mac OS upgrade will just work without worrying if the graphics card or DVD burner will need new drivers is worth more to me now. And if there are any issues I can get my old install back in a couple of hours from the Time Machine. I never did find anything as simple to use on Windows.

I suppose there's a reason Macs only have a 10%-something market share, they are more expensive and sit in a more controlled ecosystem. Some people are fine with that or even find it an advantage, other don't.

Cheers,
Matt

User avatar
thegreatdivide
Posts: 4252
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby thegreatdivide » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:47 pm

robpow wrote:Horses for courses

As a Mac user and former Windows-advocate I'd tend to agree on most of the sentiments. Macs tend to be bought by people who don't want to know how or why the computer works, they just want minimal fuss and not worry about driver updates or frequent popups about upgrades, hot fixes and reboots.

I also used to upgrade graphics cards and add extra USB ports and what-not when we had PCs. Then I decided that I wanted to focus my time on other things as that was too similar to my day-job, so I scrapped our Windows PC and laptop and replaced with a Macbook and an iMac and have never looked back since. I don't see a conflict between being a Windows engineer and a Mac user.

At home, knowing that the next Mac OS upgrade will just work without worrying if the graphics card or DVD burner will need new drivers is worth more to me now. And if there are any issues I can get my old install back in a couple of hours from the Time Machine. I never did find anything as simple to use on Windows.

I suppose there's a reason Macs only have a 10%-something market share, they are more expensive and sit in a more controlled ecosystem. Some people are fine with that or even find it an advantage, other don't.

Cheers,
Matt


That's just so not true. The amount of screaming that goes on after every new OS upgrade is hillarious.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

ben@31
Posts: 1508
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 23:24 pm

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby ben@31 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:54 pm

mr_eddy wrote:
Thoughts ?


My thoughts are that you are being subjective, sterotyping and so biased (you haven't wrote anything regarding the good points to Mac's).

The fact that I'm writing this on a Mac now proves there is nothing wrong with them. It's done what I have asked of it.

You can right click on a Macbook by pressing down on the pad with two fingers! Or copy is simply... cmd and C. Paste is cmd and V. Print cmd and P. Save is cmd and S. Exit the program is cmd and Q.

I don't play games on my Mac. So the upgrade thing and availability of games is irrelevant.

I do not need extra RAM.

What qualifies you to write that other people who you do not know can not trust to sit the right way on the toilet? You write that "you see a lot of other people?" What, every single Mac user? Or just a small percentage of those who have had an IT problem?

I have owned a Mac 2 years and I have never had a virus or any other problem.

robpow
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 15:09 pm

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby robpow » Wed Feb 06, 2013 14:25 pm

thegreatdivide wrote:
robpow wrote:At home, knowing that the next Mac OS upgrade will just work without worrying if the graphics card or DVD burner will need new drivers is worth more to me now. And if there are any issues I can get my old install back in a couple of hours from the Time Machine. I never did find anything as simple to use on Windows.


That's just so not true. The amount of screaming that goes on after every new OS upgrade is hillarious.


Perhaps, perhaps not. For starters, a larger percentage of people actually do upgrade their Macs to the latest OS. Uptake of Windows 7 after two month was 6%, for Windows 8 it was 2%. Same for Mountain Lion? Over 22%. So you would expect some noise.

The point I was making however was that there is less 3rd party code in the Mac OS (for obvious reasons) so fewer moving parts leads to fewer failures means more free time for me!

Cheers,
Matt

User avatar
Cleat Eastwood
Posts: 7720
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 23:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Wed Feb 06, 2013 14:28 pm

Theyve both got advantages and disadvantages - macs big problem is its virtual stranglehold on 3rd party software development - if you had a early mac/macbook and wanted to target apps for io6 you have no choice but to......buy a new mac - admittedky everything works in sync, which is its big plus, whereas with a pc theres a lot of liberty with 3rd party accessories but it can be a bugger getting them to talk to each other. Personally, I'm still struggling with an abacus. :lol:

You takes your choice I guess.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

tiredofwhiners
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 15:38 pm

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby tiredofwhiners » Wed Feb 06, 2013 15:28 pm

Cleat Eastwood wrote:Theyve both got advantages and disadvantages - macs big problem is its virtual stranglehold on 3rd party software development


Not sure what you mean there ?

If you want some software to do X, then you can get it for Mac, Windows or Linux. There is so much variety out there.

If you want to develop software for platform X, then you'll need a machine with X on it to run and test.

But you're spot on with the Pros and Cons - Pro's use Macs and Cons use Windows ;)

User avatar
Cleat Eastwood
Posts: 7720
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 23:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Wed Feb 06, 2013 17:22 pm

tiredofwhiners wrote:
Cleat Eastwood wrote:Theyve both got advantages and disadvantages - macs big problem is its virtual stranglehold on 3rd party software development


Not sure what you mean there ?

If you want some software to do X, then you can get it for Mac, Windows or Linux. There is so much variety out there.

If you want to develop software for platform X, then you'll need a machine with X on it to run and test.

But you're spot on with the Pros and Cons - Pro's use Macs and Cons use Windows ;)


Quite a few 'vendors' dropped support for their software overnight when apple announced they were no longer supporting, for example snow leopard - at least with microsoft theres quite a bit of backward compatability - it was such a faff trying find the right wersion of xcode.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

User avatar
LegendLust
Posts: 1014
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:15 am
Contact:

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby LegendLust » Wed Feb 06, 2013 17:40 pm

mr_eddy wrote:Ok so in a effort to ignite debate I thought I would put up a couple of posts on the problems of both Mac and PC. As I IT Engineer I believe I have more than enough experience with both platforms to offer my thoughts.

Firstly its the turn of Mac's , so what are the problems (in my opinion).#

1. Massively Overpriced.
Ok for several years now Mac's have been incorporating Intel and other traditionally PC based components into their computers, they are made in China just like every just about every other computer (don't let the designed in California sticker fool you).

So why do they cost twice, thrice or even four times the price of a similar spec Windows based computer? Assume you have £1000 for a laptop this will get you a Acer V3 with 17" screen, Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 1000GB HDD and stand alone graphics, Blu Ray and Win 8.

For the same cash you get the cheapest mac book pro (£999) with 13" screen, Intel core i5 processor, 4GB Ram, 500GB HDD and Intel shared graphics. If you want the retina display then better start that re-mortgage application

2. Upgrade Options.
Ok so assume you have bought a Mac desktop computer and a Windows desktop computer. Lets assume the same £1000 budget and both computers are fine. Now lets assume its 18 months down the line and you want to play the latest and greatest "COD:When Korea goes bad" game that requires some immense graphics card.

(Let's just look past the fact that most games are not even available on Mac)

In the Windows computer you pop over to Amazon or Ebuyer etc and for £60 you buy a decent PCI-E graphics card, slot it into place, install the drivers job done. You are all set for another 18 months.

With the Mac your stuffed, that's right the only upgrade on your Mac (that is to say the only upgrade that does not require soldering equipment and a note of approval from Mac HQ) is the RAM. Solution = Buy new Mac! EPIC FAIL!!!

3. No right click! Aaargh!
You have Office or Photoshop or any software on Windows and you want to pick a task, lets say compress and send a file to email, you just use the right click feature of your two click mouse. Job Done!

On you silly 1 click mouse on the Mac you have type War and Peace into the keyboard in the way of shortcuts before being able to do the same thing.

4. Mac's are for idiots!
In my profession I see a lot of different people, I admit this next point is stereo typing but I am of the unshakeable conviction that people who have Mac's are of questionable mental ability. Without exception every person who has brought me a Mac to fix/repair etc is someone who I would not trust to sit the right way on the toilet.

If you are the sort of person who used to have a Windows computer but it kept getting viruses and it subsequently turns out that you are also the sort of person who clicks yes to a 'Would you like a £1'000'000' pop up on the Internet then maybe your first priority is not to switch computers but maybe wonder if you are actually ready to have a computer in the first place.

This leads me onto my final point

5. Mac's DO get viruses !
Just because most viruses are found on Windows computers does not mean that Mac's can't get a virus. It's simple really if the majority of computer users around the world use Windows then the architects of viruses are going to make the viruses for Windows based computers. The myth that Mac's are immune to viruses is rubbish! As Mac's get more and more popular there will be more and more viruses. Simple

I also re-iterate my point above, if you are constantly getting viruses then maybe you need to stop going on dodgy 'Men's special interest websites' and stop replying to the 'grow 10 inches' emails !

I have owned the same Windows laptop for 2 years and I have never had a virus.

Ok that is the Mac rant over, I am generating my list for why Windows computers suck now too, so this will be a 2 way argument all in the name of fair play.

Thoughts ?


I've been using Macs since 1987 so sorry I don't have any coherent thoughts.

ChrisAOnABike
Posts: 1761
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 17:55 pm

mr_eddy wrote:Ok so in a effort to ignite debate

That's one word for it :)
Is the gorilla tired yet?

tiredofwhiners
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 15:38 pm

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby tiredofwhiners » Wed Feb 06, 2013 17:59 pm

Cleat Eastwood wrote:Quite a few 'vendors' dropped support for their software overnight when apple announced they were no longer supporting, for example snow leopard - at least with microsoft theres quite a bit of backward compatability - it was such a faff trying find the right wersion of xcode.


The 'dropping of support' was at the one time that OSX transitioned from PowerPC to Intel chipsets. The same kind of transition that Windows went through from 3.1 to 95/98/ME and dropped again from 95/98/ME to XP/NT and then again from XP/NT to Vista and then again on to W7/W8.

Of course companies drop old software packages when the hardware gets out of date - at least Apple have only done it once since OSX came out. Microsoft do it every other update ;)

ChrisAOnABike
Posts: 1761
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Wed Feb 06, 2013 18:29 pm

I had a couple of hours to kill in Edinburgh airport the other week, so I was idly looking at the electronic gadgets (only cos there was no bike shop, obviously).

So I was admiring the unarguable beauty of the Apple kit they had on display - there was the iMac which is undoubtedly aesthetically a thing of great beauty... and the MacBook Air whose thinness was indisputable.

There was another MacBook with a retina display, so obviously I spent a few moments being impressed with the fact that even at my eyes' minimum focusing distance, I could detect no pixels at all.

Then I noticed. None of the MacBooks had a proper number pad at the right hand end of their keyboard. WTF????? So I googled a bit when I got home and sure enough, unless I'm missing a trick, there is no Mac laptop that has a proper separate number pad.

I was a bit surprised, I have to say. I'm sure lots of people don't mind, but I bet there are plenty that do. Complete dealbreaker for me - I work a lot with numbers, it would drive me crazy to have to use the row across the top all the time.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

vala
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 17:35 pm

Re: Mac vs PC

Postby vala » Wed Feb 06, 2013 18:32 pm

mr_eddy wrote:3. No right click! Aaargh!
You have Office or Photoshop or any software on Windows and you want to pick a task, lets say compress and send a file to email, you just use the right click feature of your two click mouse. Job Done!

On you silly 1 click mouse on the Mac you have type War and Peace into the keyboard in the way of shortcuts before being able to do the same thing.


On my Magic Mouse for my Mac I have the right click feature. You just set it in the preferences.


Return to “The Cake Stop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests