Maintaining Fitness without access

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
Coldcorn

Maintaining Fitness without access

Postby Coldcorn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:33 pm

Hey,

So quick question. I'm travelling to San Francisco on business and i'll be there for 2 weeks. Looking for some ideas on maintaining fitness whilst I'm there, as I won't have access to a bike/trainer.

Obviously could take up running and the steep hills would probably keep me in check, but I'm not sure if that would benefit me much (as I'm not a keen runner and as soon as I get home, I would be unlikely to continue running).

I could sign up to a gym, but with most places in SF requiring yearly membership or pricing extortionate rates for a monthly access/daily access, it may be out of the question. My company does provide fitness subsidies, but I believe thats based upon signing an X month/year contract with a gym.

Good idea to try and do something like running?

Conrad
Bikes:
Felt F2 Di2 [2012]
Verenti Millook

Imposter

Re: Maintaining Fitness without access

Postby Imposter » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:39 pm

a lot will depend on what level of fitness you already have and what kind of (and purpose of) training you are currently doing?

Coldcorn

Postby Coldcorn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 13:42 pm

I asked my question a bit too soon, a colleague in SF has pointed me towards a gym that offers weekly membership for business peeps & within budget.

Thanks though!
Bikes:
Felt F2 Di2 [2012]
Verenti Millook

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Wed Feb 06, 2013 15:27 pm

Phew
I Like Black Bikes

Ric/RSTSport

Postby Ric/RSTSport » Wed Feb 06, 2013 22:47 pm

Coldcorn wrote:Hey,

So quick question. I'm travelling to San Francisco on business and i'll be there for 2 weeks. Looking for some ideas on maintaining fitness whilst I'm there, as I won't have access to a bike/trainer.

Obviously could take up running and the steep hills would probably keep me in check, but I'm not sure if that would benefit me much (as I'm not a keen runner and as soon as I get home, I would be unlikely to continue running).

I could sign up to a gym, but with most places in SF requiring yearly membership or pricing extortionate rates for a monthly access/daily access, it may be out of the question. My company does provide fitness subsidies, but I believe thats based upon signing an X month/year contract with a gym.

Good idea to try and do something like running?

Conrad

it's not obvious from what you've written (you say you won't have access to a bike while in San Fran- i presume you mean you won't be taking yours with?). Can you hire a bike while you're there?
Coach to Michael Freiberg - Track World Champion (Omnium) 2011
Coach to Jeff Jones - 2011 BBAR winner and 12-hour record
Check out our new website www.rstsport.com

Toks

Postby Toks » Sun Feb 10, 2013 15:28 pm

I was there last summer with my teenage son and we hired bikes. It wasn't too costly - perhaps that a way to go. Alternatively there are a few second hand bike shops who might sort you out with some deal. Good Luck its a great city for cycling :-)

Courage Monsieur

Postby Courage Monsieur » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:26 am

I hired quite a nice Trek roadbike there, and that was a decade ago. It'll be even easier now. A nice ride to Marin county to some country park. Should be good at a weekend, weather permitting. Take your shoes?

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”