Kessock Bridge Detour!

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
meanredspider

Kessock Bridge Detour!

Postby meanredspider » Fri Feb 08, 2013 16:25 pm

LMAO - just found out the route I'm going to have to take for the next 17 weeks from tomorrow as they repair/resurface the Kessock Bridge. For reference, here's a picture of the bridge

So, the route (just so we can cross the road) is effectively going to take you from bridge road level, down to sea level (where the lifeboat station is in this picture) then back up to bridge level on the other side (120ft drop then a steep 120ft climb (ooh - new Strava segment :twisted: )) - then across the the bridge, then back on yourself, under the bridge again and finally join back up with the path in Inverness. I'm guessing it will add a mile and 120ft climbing to my ride each way - just to cross the road! At least it will deter the peds and nodders and keep them in their cars.

They're also adding a bus lane to the A9 (one whole carriageway) but they seem to have forgotten that there are no buses!!! (4 a DAY from where I live - none of which would get me to work before 10am)
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

DaxPlusPlus

Re: Kessock Bridge Detour!

Postby DaxPlusPlus » Fri Feb 08, 2013 17:05 pm

Wow - I see what your up against when it gets windy - I didn't realise it was quite so exposed.
Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Fri Feb 08, 2013 18:00 pm

Bright side - You won't be stuck in the traffic. :P
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Fri Feb 08, 2013 18:35 pm

can we have another picture, my computer is saying NO.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Fri Feb 08, 2013 18:39 pm

DaxPlusPlus wrote:Wow - I see what your up against when it gets windy - I didn't realise it was quite so exposed.

Yup - the bridge broadly goes from NW to SE so the prevailing W wind tends to whip across it. North-easterlies also cause problems. There's a big hill to the left of where this photo is taken which tends to funnel the wind.

The wind almost never blows from the SE - when it does, it's a Strava-fest :wink:
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

gosport_commuter

Postby gosport_commuter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 19:42 pm

17 weeks? I'm doing my JOGLE in 14, ffs, does that mean I get a building site to look at when I venture across in May?

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Fri Feb 08, 2013 19:47 pm

gosport_commuter wrote:17 weeks? I'm doing my JOGLE in 14, ffs, does that mean I get a building site to look at when I venture across in May?

I'm afraid so

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Feb 08, 2013 22:03 pm

But think how nice it will be having tarmac on it at last!
Faster than a tent.......

campbellrae1

Postby campbellrae1 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 14:43 pm

Slightly off topic, but where is the bus lane going to start and finish? Seems pretty pointless as I honestly don't think I have ever seen a bus on that stretch of road...
Custom spec Scott Scale
Custom spec Salsa Fargo
Custom spec Scott CR1
Scott Speedster S1

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Sat Feb 09, 2013 14:48 pm

campbellrae1 wrote:Slightly off topic, but where is the bus lane going to start and finish? Seems pretty pointless as I honestly don't think I have ever seen a bus on that stretch of road...

Tore to N Kessock. I didn't see any signs indicating it yet. I think communications have been pretty poor. There's very little detail on the Web

eric.s

Postby eric.s » Sat Feb 09, 2013 22:51 pm

I sometimes cycle over the bridge too. In the past, if for some reason I was going to be using the cycle path on the southbound side of the bridge, I'd dismount and walk across the A9 just east of the top of Old Craigton Road. In busy traffic you might have to wait a few minutes. In exceptionally busy traffic I'd scramble down the embankment and walk under the bridge a few metres east of the expansion joint, but this is more awkward now as you have to go on the steep ground around the area that they've build the high fence around. Either of those options were less inconvenient than cycling down Old Craigton Road, round by the lifeboat station and up again.

As you say, nothing much seems to have been published anywhere, but I understand Transerv have said pedestrians won't be allowed to cross the A9 at the top of Old Craigton Road during the works. Seems a wee bit surprising as IIRC you could cross there during previous bridge works, though perhaps it's a bigger job this time round. (As for my other shortcut, I imagine the area just east of the expansion joint will be part of the fenced off 'building site' area.)

The TRO details the bus lane and some banned right turns. Doesn't seem to say anything about the cycle paths though.

At south end of the bridge, again I understand Transerv have said pedestrians won't be allowed to cross the road there during road works either, again different to past roadworks I think. Personally I think I'd rather hop onto the road and go round the roundabout and along Longman Road, rather than go all the way round by the stadium.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Sun Feb 10, 2013 08:38 am

With respect to the bus/HGV lane, will buses & HGVs be required to use it? And will cars be able to overtake (I guess on the inside)? There are often massive queues of cars stuck behind slow-moving vehicles along the A9 south. If from Tore they still can't get past, it'll be immensely frustrating.

Almost a week after the traffic lights have been switched on, traffic going north hasn't worked out that you can now use both lanes to go straight on (despite big signs saying so). Honestly, I despair of the awareness of the average driver. Yesterday there was a massive queue in the outside lane and I was the only person using the inside lane to go straight ahead.

Again - it's really poor communication

eric.s

Postby eric.s » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:01 am

I don't think buses and HGVs are *required* to use it. Drivers can overtake on the inside, but the question of overtaking might be academic if you observe the 50 limit that they're having from a mile south of Tore onwards.

Interestingly, although the Transerv press release said it was the northbound side of the bridge that was getting resurfaced first, this morning it was the southbound carriageway that was closed, with contraflow on the northbound. Maybe that's just for some initial preparatory works, but if it turns out that this whole 17 week block of works is on the southbound side, then presumably only the southbound-side cycle path will be shut. In which case there won't be an issue for cycling. (Though of course the plan is to eventually do both sides, so it's coming sooner or later.)

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Yup - I've done that route by car a couple of times this morning. Not a single bus or HGV evident but frustrated lines of cars stuck behind a granny doing 35mph whilst the outside lane is empty. Plenty of people just ignoring the restriction (it's stupid at the weekend - I've already written to TranServ to ask that it's only weekday only)

They're preparing the southbound side - cleaning the road and fitting the fluorescent "cats eyes" to mark the lanes etc. They are definitely doing the northbound side first.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:23 am

Shambles for cyclists this morning. Footpath closures extremely poorly signed leading to all sorts of confusion. I had a bit of a rant at some TranServ management types on the bridge then discovered I was being filmed for a BBC documentary :oops: I don't think I'll sign a "release" for it (they tried to get me to sign one but I noticed it was for a C5 programme on Bariatric Surgery! :? )

The detour adds 1.5 miles and 250ft of climbing to my journey (the "downhill" journey in is now 17 miles and 835ft of climbing). Given the bridge itself is only 0.6 mile long, that's quite impressive.

It's half-term up here this week so it's relatively quiet. It'll be interesting to see what it's like next week...

suzyb

Postby suzyb » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 am

meanredspider wrote:It's half-term up here this week so it's relatively quiet. It'll be interesting to see what it's like next week...

Is that how I managed to get to work 15 minutes early this morning. Since when did the schools get holidays in February.

Gotta love "rural" roadworks. Same thing happens around here although not quite as bad. Worse detour was when they closed the main road heading out of Carluke. Road closure was a mile long stretch, detour was about 5 miles long, a lot more hilly and in places barely wide enough for the HGVs they were sending along it.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:35 am

suzyb wrote:Gotta love "rural" roadworks. Same thing happens around here although not quite as bad. Worse detour was when they closed the main road heading out of Carluke. Road closure was a mile long stretch, detour was about 5 miles long, a lot more hilly and in places barely wide enough for the HGVs they were sending along it.

You can really tell that it's TranServ that are running the job. Bikes? Pedestrians? They were trying to persuade people out of their cars but making the crossing 2.5x as far and adding in a steep hill isn't going to achieve that. On the positive side, there were no peds or nodders :wink:

eric.s

Postby eric.s » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:43 pm

Today I went later in the morning and wasn't too inconvenienced. I dismounted and walked across the A9 just past the top of Old Craigton Road, then joined the road at the layby just before the roundabout, and rode round the roundabout and along Longman Road. Hopefully they won't actually put up barriers to stop you crossing the A9, they never have in the past. They probably advise against it because of health and safety etc, but at the end of the day it's not a motorway so pedestrians shouldn't be banned from crossing. Obviously it's never ideal to have to dismount and walk, but quicker than the diversion.

I imagine what I've just described will be unsatisfactory in the morning peak, which I assume is when you use the bridge. Particularly once the schools are back.

meanredspider wrote:They were trying to persuade people out of their cars but making the crossing 2.5x as far and adding in a steep hill isn't going to achieve that.

Whatever they do it's going to be a bit inconvenient while the N-bound-side cycle path is closed. Maybe there'll be a better opportunity to promote cycling in when they do the other side (2014?)

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:56 pm

I don't mind the detour myself - the extra miles and climbing will do me good. It's the shambolic nature of it and the obstacles on the path that's just poor.

For sure I don't fancy crossing the road at peak of the rush hour. I also got the impression that there will be works/vehicles beyond the bridge itself making access to the path on that side impossible too.

eric.s

Postby eric.s » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:08 am

The wind had blown one of the 30 limit signs over this morning, it blocked most of the width of the path, this was a bit before 8 am. On the downhill bit where you'd normally go fairly fast. More sandbags needed to weigh them down I think...

Return to “Commuting Chat”