Mixed shimano and campagnolo

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Teach

Mixed shimano and campagnolo

Postby Teach » Sun Feb 10, 2013 06:54 am

I bought a cyclocross bike off eBay
I thought it was all campagnolo (like) my other bike.
I'm a bit confused. It has campy shifters, chain and derailleur. I was changing the cassette which I removed with my campy tool and tried fitting a campy cassette when I realised it had shimano hubs!
So a few questions
1 how did I remove a shimano cassette with a campagnolo tool (could it be Miche) how would I know?
It has a campagnolo chain. Should it? Should it be shimano?
Does it matter?
Cheers

JamesB

Re: Mixed shimano and campagnolo

Postby JamesB » Sun Feb 10, 2013 07:36 am

The cassette that was fitted is known as a `conversion cassette`; it uses a set Shimano splines but campag width spacers and sprockets.--so that it can work properly with teh campag derailleurs , shifters. The ones I`ve had used a Shimano lockring though, maybe a campag lockring had been used but I thought it was a different diameter !!

You`ll have to get another conversion cassette, available from eg Ambrosio (try Alf Webb he seems pretty good http://www.webbline.co.uk/default.asp?pID=14 )
but you will continue to run a CAMPAG chain

Teach

Re: Mixed shimano and campagnolo

Postby Teach » Sun Feb 10, 2013 08:01 am

JamesB wrote:The cassette that was fitted is known as a `conversion cassette`; it uses a set Shimano splines but campag width spacers and sprockets.--so that it can work properly with teh campag derailleurs , shifters. The ones I`ve had used a Shimano lockring though, maybe a campag lockring had been used but I thought it was a different diameter !!

You`ll have to get another conversion cassette, available from eg Ambrosio (try Alf Webb he seems pretty good http://www.webbline.co.uk/default.asp?pID=14 )
but you will continue to run a CAMPAG chain

Thank you for your helpful and quick response.

Return to “Workshop”