Happy owners?

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
mattl80

Happy owners?

Postby mattl80 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 16:34 pm

Went out on my bike today for the first time in a while. I've had my bike for 4 years now. It's an 09 kona kula dexlue. It was used for a couple of years as an every day commuter bike, and has seen plenty of off road action, including me stacking it a couple of times. :?

This bike has never let me down, i still think it looks cool after a clean. It's probably the best "thing" i've ever bought in terms for bang for buck. :) It cost me 600 quid off ebay which i thought was a bargin at the time, but if i'd of known it would have lasted me this well i'd of clady paid the full 1700 (rrp).

One of the main things I love are the SLX breaks, they are still as powerful as when i got them and apart from re aligning the caliper this morning and changing the pads i have had to do zero mainteance.

Anyway apologies for the random rant, and no i dont work for kona, but just thought i'd give credit where credit is due, this is a dam well screwed together machine 8)

Jahmoo

Re: Happy owners?

Postby Jahmoo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 18:18 pm

Could say the same thing about my Trek 7.3FX. Cost me £350 purchased 16th Feb 2008, 5 years old this month. Its done loads of miles with a heavy guy on the back of it and still going as strong as ever.

No real big replacements as of yet and I have broke my ribs coming off it.

I keep wanting to replace it every summer for the past 2 years and this year is no exception, but end up sticking with it. Plan is this year to replace with a Summer Bike and keep this for winter, we will see ;)

As you say, credit where its due, £350 is a real bargain :)

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 09:10 am

My Kraken was bought about 3.5 years ago as a total wreck, the fork stanchions had rusted through, built up using used parts (only original parts are frame, mech hanger amd the BB cable guide!) inititally for about £250, has slowly evolved, currently has cost a grand total of £600 including the various spares etc I have for it, cost of parts actually on the bike is under £500, not bad for mostly XT/XTR.

I've also been OTB and broken ribs.....

RockmonkeySC

Postby RockmonkeySC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 19:06 pm

My Apollo CX10s hybrid commuter was surprisingly reliable and great value for money. It was bought as a cheap temporary commuter for £120 (new) but lasted me 8000 miles with no maintenance other than lubing the chain twice and tweaking the gear & brake cables once.
Never had a single component failure. Sold it to a mate for £20 and it's still going three years on and probably another five or six thousand miles.
My latest bike cost nearly £4000 and seems to need constant maintenance and something replacing every few weeks.

Northwind

Postby Northwind » Tue Feb 12, 2013 17:42 pm

My old Carrera is I think 22 years old, still the bike I ride the most. Not that much is original mind! I don't expect to be riding any of my current bikes in 22 years.

Love my Hemlock, I don't know whether it suits me or whether it's just that I did so much of my progression on it that I suit it, but either way we get on. It's made things a bit hard for all my other bikes, I've had others that I've been happy with but very few that I'm as happy with so they tend to come and go.
Uncompromising extremist

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:13 am

I bought my Cannodale 20 years ago & whilst only the frame, stem, bars & shifters are original it is still my go to bike for fun rides. Still climbs with the best of my newer bikes but feels like an old friend.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

lawman

Postby lawman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 am

The day I'm completely happy with any bike I own is one I look forward too :lol: nothing is perfect, but hell I'll try and keep tweaking til I get damn close!

Both current bikes have been pretty reliable, excusing reverbs on them and a a pro2 axle snapping, they haven't really missed a beat reliability wise, but my obsessive tweaking has led to a few component changes... I actually looked at the HD t'other day and the only original parts are the frame, forks (admittedly with new uppers and decals), wheels. crank, shifter and headset spacers :lol: I suppose half the shock is original but the shaft and air can where replaced when I had it serviced.

Return to “MTB General”