Shimano crankset black paint?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Biltong
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 21:41 pm

What black paint for Shimano black crankset?

Postby Biltong » Sun Feb 10, 2013 17:20 pm

Hi there

I need some paint advice my black Shimano crankset looks a bit horrible due to my overshoes. Does anyone know what black paint they use on Shimano group sets ?

Kind regards

SmoggySteve
Posts: 2362
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 20:10 pm

Re: What black paint for Shimano black crankset?

Postby SmoggySteve » Sun Feb 10, 2013 19:15 pm

I would think some cheap car paint would do the trick.

Biltong
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 21:41 pm

Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby Biltong » Sun Feb 10, 2013 19:16 pm

Hi there

I need some paint advice my black Shimano crankset looks a bit horrible due to my overshoes. Does anyone know what black paint they use on Shimano group sets ?

Kind regards

User avatar
MattC59
Posts: 5591
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 09:13 am

Re: What black paint for Shimano black crankset?

Postby MattC59 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 19:17 pm

Why not remove it all with Nitromores and then polish ?
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

User avatar
freezing77
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2006 18:19 pm
Contact:

Re: What black paint for Shimano black crankset?

Postby freezing77 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 19:32 pm

Biltong wrote:Hi there

I need some paint advice my black Shimano crankset looks a bit horrible due to my overshoes. Does anyone know what black paint they use on Shimano group sets ?

Kind regards


Almost certainly not paint but anodised.

divingrob
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 11:39 am

Re: What black paint for Shimano black crankset?

Postby divingrob » Sun Feb 10, 2013 19:34 pm

Anodising cost around £30 for a batch of parts.

User avatar
MattC59
Posts: 5591
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 09:13 am

Re: What black paint for Shimano black crankset?

Postby MattC59 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 19:53 pm

freezing77 wrote:
Biltong wrote:Hi there

I need some paint advice my black Shimano crankset looks a bit horrible due to my overshoes. Does anyone know what black paint they use on Shimano group sets ?

Kind regards


Almost certainly not paint but anodised.


Depends on the component level and year.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.

Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Garry H
Posts: 2152
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 20:45 pm

Re: What black paint for Shimano black crankset?

Postby Garry H » Sun Feb 10, 2013 20:24 pm

Leave it. Badge of honour, like a cauliflower ear, or boxer's nose :wink:

jomoj
Posts: 729
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 16:25 pm

Re: Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby jomoj » Sun Feb 10, 2013 21:00 pm

if it's just little nicks then I would use a car touch up paint, if you've got big scuffs then it'll be really hard to cover up without making it look worse, just one of the downsides of black cranks. If you want to stop it getting worse then get some polyurethane tape (AKA 'helicopter tape) and put some strips on the cranks where your shoes rub.

DesWeller
Posts: 5233
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 15:36 pm

Re: Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby DesWeller » Sun Feb 10, 2013 23:07 pm

I'd leave it. Bikes should not look as though they're kept in a museum; it's all part of the patina of use.

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13572
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby Rolf F » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:16 am

jomoj wrote:if it's just little nicks then I would use a car touch up paint, if you've got big scuffs then it'll be really hard to cover up without making it look worse, just one of the downsides of black cranks. If you want to stop it getting worse then get some polyurethane tape (AKA 'helicopter tape) and put some strips on the cranks where your shoes rub.


If you mask up a neat shape on the cranks to cover the worn area and spray that with an appropriate car spray (matt, satin or gloss depending on the factory finish) and then cover the same area with the helicopter tape then it probably won't look any different to how it would have looked if you'd done it when the cranks were new.

Black can be done effectively. I resprayed some matt black Truvative MTB cranks even retaining the printing on the arms and you can barely tell which paint is original and which is mine. And that was just a fairly hasty job with not much care in masking. Might post a pic when I get home!
Faster than a tent.......

Biltong
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 21:41 pm

Re: Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby Biltong » Mon Feb 11, 2013 14:32 pm

Thank you for all the feedback! I will use the forum again its very good for advice.

Yossie
Posts: 2589
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:23 am

Re: Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby Yossie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 19:10 pm

Just get the whole thing powder coated black - near as impossible to rub off, will come out perfect and relatively cheap as well.
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

xrayted
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 23:33 pm

Re: Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby xrayted » Thu Nov 07, 2013 15:21 pm

I forgot to apply heli tape to my brand new Ribble Winter bike and have ended up with shoe rub on a chainstay and today the drive side crank arm with less than 150 mile on the clock. All of my other bikes were treated before use.

However on idea is to buy some of this and cut it to size:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Premier-Gloss-Self-Adhesive-Vinyl-Film-Sticky-Back-Plastic-Sign-Vinyl-Fablon

And a Ribble Winter Audax bike is the car paint Ford Focus Q3 Imperial Blue

Could have saved myself a load of hassle if I'd not failed to prepare.
Last edited by xrayted on Thu Nov 07, 2013 17:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Clark1
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2013 09:17 am

Re: Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby John Clark1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 16:15 pm

I agree - fail to prepare, prepare to fail my son.

tonye_n
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 18:47 pm

Re: Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby tonye_n » Thu Nov 07, 2013 21:42 pm

DesWeller wrote:I'd leave it. Bikes should not look as though they're kept in a museum; it's all part of the patina of use.

This^^^

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13572
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby Rolf F » Fri Nov 08, 2013 09:14 am

tonye_n wrote:
DesWeller wrote:I'd leave it. Bikes should not look as though they're kept in a museum; it's all part of the patina of use.

This^^^


There is a difference between the patina of gentle wear over years of use and a scuffed up shed due to slovenly carelessness! My Ribble has done getting on for 14,000 miles and shows little signs of wear. It does have a little patina from use but I don't think it looks worse for not being covered in scuffs and scrapes. :wink:
Faster than a tent.......

tonye_n
Posts: 791
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 18:47 pm

Re: Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby tonye_n » Fri Nov 08, 2013 17:14 pm

Rolf F wrote:
tonye_n wrote:
DesWeller wrote:I'd leave it. Bikes should not look as though they're kept in a museum; it's all part of the patina of use.

This^^^


There is a difference between the patina of gentle wear over years of use and a scuffed up shed due to slovenly carelessness! My Ribble has done getting on for 14,000 miles and shows little signs of wear. It does have a little patina from use but I don't think it looks worse for not being covered in scuffs and scrapes. :wink:


Eh?....
I was not suggesting a bike that doesn't have scuffs & scrapes does not pass some sort of snobbish test.
Merely agreeing that there is nothing wrong with a bike showing signs of proper use. No need to sanitise a bike.

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13572
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: Shimano crankset black paint?

Postby Rolf F » Fri Nov 08, 2013 18:33 pm

tonye_n wrote:
Rolf F wrote:
tonye_n wrote:
DesWeller wrote:I'd leave it. Bikes should not look as though they're kept in a museum; it's all part of the patina of use.

This^^^


There is a difference between the patina of gentle wear over years of use and a scuffed up shed due to slovenly carelessness! My Ribble has done getting on for 14,000 miles and shows little signs of wear. It does have a little patina from use but I don't think it looks worse for not being covered in scuffs and scrapes. :wink:


Eh?....
I was not suggesting a bike that doesn't have scuffs & scrapes does not pass some sort of snobbish test.
Merely agreeing that there is nothing wrong with a bike showing signs of proper use. No need to sanitise a bike.


Lol - I don't recall suggesting that you were suggesting that a bike has to have scuffs and scrapes to pass some sort of snobbish test :wink:
Faster than a tent.......


Return to “Workshop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests