Schwalbe Ultremo ZX or Conti GP4000s

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Supermurph09

Schwalbe Ultremo ZX or Conti GP4000s

Postby Supermurph09 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 22:04 pm

Hi

Looked around the forum and saw some interesting comments about the Ultremo's so wanted to gauge opinion. Today I bought a Cube Agree GTC Race (pictures going up soon) which is fitted with the Ultremo's but I also have a pair of the Contis that were to be fitted on my Spesh Allez (my first bike, now to be used as a bad weather / turbo bike) but wondered which might be better on the Cube? They look quite different tyres, the Ultremo's to the untrained eye look more like an inner tube whereas the Contis do have a type of tread pattern on them!

Would appreciate some feedback from anyone, be great if some of you have used both and give a direct comparison.

Cheers.

Arthur Scrimshaw

Re: Schwalbe Ultremo ZX or Conti GP4000s

Postby Arthur Scrimshaw » Sun Feb 10, 2013 22:15 pm

I wouldn't use the ZX's in this weather, the Conti's are more durable. I'd say the ZX is more fragile, I've had two replaced by Schwalbe foc after the structure failed. That said as a summer tyre they're my favourite by a long chalk.

Supermurph09

Postby Supermurph09 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 22:18 pm

Thanks Arthur, that does seem a common opinion, I guess I'm just looking for more confirmation. I'll take that on board.

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 22:25 pm

I've got Ultremos for the summer and they're fantastic. Not sure as I'd use them in the winter though; I suspect that they'd get cut up pretty quickly with all the grit and filth on the roads. The Contis would be better at this time of year, but I still don't think they're the best tyre for this time of year. Have a look at the Conti 4 Season for a great all round tyre.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Sun Feb 10, 2013 23:07 pm

I use Ultremos all year round with no problems. They are fanastic in the wet. I would get DD ones mind for the extra puncture resistance.

On Conti's. Nver used them but always heard those that do say they are excellent. Black Chili compound ones mind. Don't get the coloured ones.

philbar72

Postby philbar72 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 06:39 am

4000s are the best for me, good grip, good puncture protection and very durable.

mamba80

Postby mamba80 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 09:17 am

they are 2 totaly different tires, one will rip to pieces and puncture at the slightest sign of road debri and the other will give great grip in the wet and will prove to be tough and hard wearing..ish.

2 races on ZXs, 2 punctures, gave them to GF - same puncture results for her. Cant even use them on turbo as they just shredded up.
Used now to tie up a sea kayak in the shed.
Of course, like saddles, others will have different experiences.

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Mon Feb 11, 2013 09:43 am

I wouldn't touch schwalbes - had a pair of Ultremos fail - started bulging after less than 200 miles - they didn't want to know.
------------------------
it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:25 am

Never had problems with any schwalbe tyre or tube so just because a few have had bad experiences which may or may not have been their own fault (not that any would admit it) won't mean they are a bad tyre. I would buy them any day.

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 am

And just because some people have had reasonable experiences with their tyres doesn't mean they don't suffer a higher than average rate of problems and then offer rubbish customer service when there is a problem.
------------------------

Jamie2007

Postby Jamie2007 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 am

Have used Ultremo ZX's on my good bike and found they rolled really well (better than Pro 3's), feel very grippy and supple but are more susceptible to p#######s. I will still be using them this summer.

mroli

Postby mroli » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43 am

I used Schwalbe religiously (all sorts of tyres). Had a pair of ZX crack on me so contacted Schwalbe direct. They told me to go back to the vendors of the tyres and they'd sort them out. Planet X sold me the tyres and were helpful. Took a bit of time to get them to action it, but in the end they just offered me an alternative replacement. Took a pair of Continental 4000s. Punctured on the first lap of my first race with them. But haven't punctured since (touch wood). I would happily use both again.

Supermurph09

Postby Supermurph09 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:58 am

Hit and miss then, a bit like punctures themselves? Some people seem to get them all the time, some never.

I'll keep them on, give them a go and see what happens. Appreciate the responses.

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Tom Butcher wrote:I wouldn't touch schwalbes - had a pair of Ultremos fail - started bulging after less than 200 miles - they didn't want to know.
There was an issue with Ultremos a while back (earliest models) and there was a product recall. You just had to send a photo of the number inside the tyre. They often sent a different model out immediately, and then sending a like for like (albeit not faulty) replacement when they became available. You may have had older stock, certainly the "reputation" belongs to that period. These days I think the Ultremos come highly rated by many users.

I had two Schwalbe Blizzards / Luganos bulge on my bike riding in the alps last year (I know, they are really cheap tyres); I put it down to fast long descents with ambient temp of 30 degrees or more on a cheap training tyre. Schwalbe UK were extremely helpful and sent me out new replacements, a better model, and replacement tubes. I didn't have any proof of purchase, and one had been bought in Austria. Many manufacturers or distributors won't even talk to the consumers, referring them to the shop (which of course is the right place if you remember where you bought them), so Schwalbe are better than some. I am surprised they didn't want to know in your case.

I would have no hesitation in using Schwalbe, though I currently have Conti GP 24x700 folders as Cyclesurgery were doing them at half price.

I have had a bad experience with Gatorskins (tough in name only), and Conti Sport Contacts on my commuter - they cut up like soft cheese, and the puncture guarantee, which infers puncture resistance, is no use - they puncture frequently and each time you are supposed to take the tyre and tube back to the shop - not a great way to get on with your journey!

Anyway, I think both brands are generally good, but different models have different qualities.

Bobbinogs

Postby Bobbinogs » Mon Feb 11, 2013 19:15 pm

I like both. The Schwalbes do offer a slightly more supple ride which I quite like... but I run my tyres at the bottom end of the appropriate PSI (can't see the benefit of nice tyres pumped up to 115 PSI for a 65kg rider, for example).

I must have done 1,000's miles on both (all year round) and haven't suffered any of the problems of other folks. I think a lot must depend on your local area and the type of road/debris? However, both types are susceptible to cutting up and I figure that is the pay off for riding race tyres.

Tom Butcher

Postby Tom Butcher » Mon Feb 11, 2013 19:19 pm

Update - well after being reminded of those tyres by this thread I resent the email with the pictures of the faulty tyres to Schwalbe and result - they've agreed to send a replacement pair and given me an explanation as to why the previous correspondence got lost so all's well that ends well. Good on them - I take it all back !
------------------------

Supermurph09

Postby Supermurph09 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 19:30 pm

Tom Butcher wrote:Update - well after being reminded of those tyres by this thread I resent the email with the pictures of the faulty tyres to Schwalbe and result - they've agreed to send a replacement pair and given me an explanation as to why the previous correspondence got lost so all's well that ends well. Good on them - I take it all back !

Good result then Tom!

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 19:37 pm

Tom Butcher wrote:Update - well after being reminded of those tyres by this thread I resent the email with the pictures of the faulty tyres to Schwalbe and result - they've agreed to send a replacement pair and given me an explanation as to why the previous correspondence got lost so all's well that ends well. Good on them - I take it all back !

I have to say IME their customer service is excellent, my problem is the products.

Had a set of Durano S which cracked on the side walls. They sent replacements and free inner tubes to offset my return postage.

Only the replacements have now started unravelling on the side walls.

I have relegated them to turbo duties and fitted Vittoria Corsa Evo CX's instead (on the dry bike). I hope these prove to be all they are supposed to be.
Yellow is the new Black.

ScreaminWargasm

Postby ScreaminWargasm » Mon Feb 11, 2013 20:27 pm

I'm currently running on GP4000s without any issues but will be looking to change them for the summer. Think I'm gonna give the Ultremos a bash although also considering the Michelin Pro 4 which can be had for £45 for a pair with free tubes.

I thoroughly reccomend the GPs though!

EPO Delivery Man

Postby EPO Delivery Man » Mon Feb 11, 2013 22:11 pm

Ive been running Ultremo Zx for the past year and not had a single puncture. Its my tyre of choice by far.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”