brake pad springs

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
mattl80

brake pad springs

Postby mattl80 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 23:31 pm

Just an observation really. The springs that hold my SLX brake pads apart look so fragile, im amazed that these things actually work. The tolerance is so tight in terms of the whole system.

Has anyone ever needed to replace them/ had there breaks not retract properly becuase of dodgy springs? I dont really understand how they work as well as they do!

nicklouse
Lives Here

Re: brake pad springs

Postby nicklouse » Mon Feb 11, 2013 23:42 pm

they dont "really" hold them apart they just reduce the rattling on the pistons.

the spring has nothing to do with piston retraction.

that is the piston seal.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

mattl80

Postby mattl80 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 00:27 am

so once they have been pushed against the disk by the pistons, how do they return to the default position? i thought it was the springs that "sprang" them back, away from the rotar?

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Tue Feb 12, 2013 00:41 am

the seals moving. remove the spring and the pads and wonder in the movement in and out.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

stubs

Postby stubs » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 am

You can run the brakes without the springs. I was having trouble with squeaking Avid pads and I experimented with no spring to see if it made any difference. It didnt but didnt have any affect on the brakes. You get a new spring with a new set of pads so dont worry if you bust them.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Calder

Postby Calder » Tue Feb 12, 2013 13:20 pm

mattl80 wrote:so once they have been pushed against the disk by the pistons, how do they return to the default position? i thought it was the springs that "sprang" them back, away from the rotar?

It's sort of like drinking wine through a straw. Sort of.

Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”