Planet X Pro Carbon Wheels

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
VTech

Planet X Pro Carbon Wheels

Postby VTech » Thu Feb 14, 2013 21:24 pm

Would you say on the whole that these are good wheels ?
Im not sure about the wheel and hub quality etc as I know little about them hence the question.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXPC82101/planet_x_pro_carbon_82_101_wheelset
Living MY dream.

ugo.santalucia

Re: Planet X Pro Carbon Wheels

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 21:30 pm

If you do 30 time trials every year, maybe you can invest n something similar, otherwise they are simply OTT

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 21:59 pm

They are also very deep. This can be an issue in windy conditions and tests even the most experienced bike handler.

Perhaps start of with something a little less focused, upto 50mm perhaps, not that anyone actually needs them.

Deep section carbon rims do look nice though :-)
Yellow is the new Black.

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 22:32 pm

They are OK.

You tend to find them as a standard option on their TT bikes but depends on what deal they have going as I understand it they tend to buy in the stock in bulk and build up a number of bikes based on the stock. Have seen plenty of girls and boys at tri races with them on PX bikes and other frames too as for the money they are quite a good deal.

Downside is they are proper deep section wheels & are easy to catch the wind which can be quite a scare if you not used to them. They are also not that light for aero wheels but for the money they are quite a good deal.

PX 50/50 wheels are the same price and get some quite good reviews if they are the type of wheels you are after.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Grill

Postby Grill » Thu Feb 14, 2013 22:50 pm

Hope your strong, 80mm is handful on windy days. Anything but a rear disc is failsauce.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

cougie

Postby cougie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 02:03 am

From your other posts - you're a Leisure cyclist ? Not a racer. These are wheels for time trialling.
And they're tubular tyres only.

I'd go for these instead - not as deep - and conventional tyres - the 52mm aero carbon clincher from PX.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... els-31023/

VTech

Postby VTech » Fri Feb 15, 2013 07:07 am

Thanks for the replies. I am new so I wouldn't think I would have the strength yet to cope with being blown all over the place just yet. In honesty it's only about aesthetics really. I'll have a look at the 52mm versions.
Living MY dream.

hutchy_belfast

Postby hutchy_belfast » Fri Feb 15, 2013 07:18 am

You all have failed to mention that you can buy them ride around on them for 6 months then punt them on for £20 less that they cost! At least you can if ads on here and eBay are anything to go by!

pkripper

Postby pkripper » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:08 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:If you do 30 time trials every year, maybe you can invest n something similar, otherwise they are simply OTT

Why? Surely it's personal preference, and just because someone does 1 TT a year doesn't make them any less valuable to them than someone who does 30. In fact, on the balance of probabilities you could argue that the marginal gains for someone who's a non-TT regular (and hence more likely to be a novice) would be greater than someone who's a TT regular and hence rides at a higher net speed.

If you're talking VFM, that depends on how big the wallet is!

For an everyday wheel though they wouldn't be my choice.

VTech

Postby VTech » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:10 pm

I have to admit that for me its more edged to the look side rather tan usage.
I think Ugo was trying to save me money as he quite rightly thinks my stock wheels are good enough for what I am using it for.
Living MY dream.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:15 pm

But if you are set on getting some carbon deep section wheels at least get some that will last and cope with a heavier rider.

Most of the factory stuff tends to be low spoke count (20/24) and there are rims available for building a set with 28 holes (e.g Broby or Notorious), which IMO would be better for you.
Yellow is the new Black.

Jim C

Postby Jim C » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:25 pm

Any gains associated with a deep section wheelset have to be put in perspective. They might actually make U slower. Zipps with the lenticular profile might have aero advantage on all real world wind directions and riding speeds. The flat sided PX wheels, might need to be ridden above a certain speed to give a benefit. Plenty of research out there on this. The rims are quite heavy, compared with a good shallow section rim. On rolling terrain, IE hills, U could be considerably slower.

The looks are not in doubt . So it might be a trade your willing to make.
PX supply good kit. Prices are great too
Last edited by Jim C on Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VTech

Postby VTech » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:25 pm

So I take it you think the planet x wouldnt be suitable for me ?
Living MY dream.

VTech

Postby VTech » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:29 pm

Also, would I need matching brake pads ?
Living MY dream.

Jim C

Postby Jim C » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:34 pm

Ps if I had the cash, id buy Zipp 303. Good compromise, not too deep, wind won't affect them much. And still look the dogs
Or ENVE.........

the choice on value is your decision entirely. If U have the cash, then yes please

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:36 pm

VTech wrote:Also, would I need matching brake pads ?

Carbon braking surface does need a carbon specific brake pad yes.

If you get the type where the braking track is aluminium (e.g. Shimano) then no, normal pads are fine.
Yellow is the new Black.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:38 pm

Jim C wrote:Ps if I had the cash, id buy Zipp 303. Good compromise, not too deep, wind won't affect them much. And still look the dogs
Or ENVE.........

the choice on value is your decision entirely. If U have the cash, then yes please

Yes the Zipp 303 are nice. You need to check your frame has suitable clearance for those though, as the design of the rim is quite thick.
Yellow is the new Black.

VTech

Postby VTech » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:48 pm

Thanks again, but I just couldnt bring myself to spend that much on a set of wheels for a bike.
Living MY dream.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:53 pm

VTech wrote:I have to admit that for me its more edged to the look side rather tan usage.
I think Ugo was trying to save me money as he quite rightly thinks my stock wheels are good enough for what I am using it for.

Stick some black cardboard on your current wheels? :mrgreen:

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 14:53 pm

VTech wrote:Thanks again, but I just couldnt bring myself to spend that much on a set of wheels for a bike.

And here was I thinkng you were committed to this cycling lark :lol:

I was not suggesting you got the Zipps just pointing out a possible limitation for those that might.

Many deep section rims are made by Gigantex and they are under engineered (according to my well respected wheel builder) so I would check the PX ones and see.

The Broby and Notorious ones I listed are ones that have more drillings (28) so you can get a better build.
Yellow is the new Black.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”