Is a CX bike as my main winter bike a bad idea?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Grahamcp

Is a CX bike as my main winter bike a bad idea?

Postby Grahamcp » Thu Feb 14, 2013 22:48 pm

I'm planning on getting a new bike for the cruddy conditions (hesitate to say winter as it seems most of the year can be considered cruddy). I have had a Genesis Flyer single-speed for a good few years which I've been really happy with, just fancy something new and with gears. Budget £1K give or take a couple of hundred quid or so.

I'd like something that I can stick slightly bigger tyres on along with full mudguards. I'm torn between traditional road bike and something like this:- http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... oix-de-fer

The disc brakes look interesting, and it would be handy from time to time for light off-road cycle path riding, but what are the disadvantages of a CX bike for road use?

Would the CX bike feel much different?

Imposter

Re: Is a CX bike as my main winter bike a bad idea?

Postby Imposter » Thu Feb 14, 2013 23:20 pm

With road tyres, it would be quite a good option for general use. Some CXers may have a shorter top tube than 'regular' road bikes, so worth checking the geo before you buy...

Raymondo60

Postby Raymondo60 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 23:29 pm

If I had to own one bike only (heaven forbid!) I think it would be my Cross bike. A CX is just so multi-functional. Stick on a set of Specialized Borough tyres - 32c works for me - or similar, and you can literally go anywhere, and you get a decent road-riding bike too. I made a mistake of choosing a cross bike that doesn't have mudguard or rack eyelets (my first one, a Boardman, did) but that's my issue. A CX bike with eyelets, and the appropriate tyres, is the 'Range Rover' of the bicycle world. I use mine to commute, go through parks and trails, ride the towpath - it goes everywhere. Good luck.
Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Thu Feb 14, 2013 23:33 pm

And if it has disc brakes even better.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

passout

Postby passout » Fri Feb 15, 2013 09:14 am

The gearing (chainset) is 'sometimes' lower than a true roadbike. Alot of cross bikes out there are pretty multi functional machines though (like so PX Uncle John or Boardman maybe). It's not a bad idea to answer your question. I might look towards Genesis road bikes or PX Kaffenbach first though.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

RDB66

Postby RDB66 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 09:29 am

One of the boys in our Club has a Spesh CX...he swears by it, great choice for the winter...Go for it.
A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
11/13 Canyon Nerve XC for the Dirt.

jordan_217

Postby jordan_217 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 09:39 am

No, I think they are just about perfect. If I could only have one bike, it would be cross bike. They're as versatile as a Birdseye potato waffle!
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Grahamcp

Postby Grahamcp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 am

Thanks everyone, all really useful responses. Luckily my LBS stocks Genesis bikes so I will go in for a closer look.

snipsnap

Postby snipsnap » Fri Feb 15, 2013 13:43 pm

i had the exact same though process as you and have had my Croix De Fer for 2 weeks now. I'm loving it, much smoother than my dedicated roadie and any terrain is possible now. I put more road/touring tyres on there (continental contact 28mm) and SKS chromoplastics. i'm riding whatever the weather now.

a bit heavier than my other roadie (sensa romagna) but that's my weekend fun bike now and the Croix De Fer is the jack-of-all trades.

Do it!

lostboysaint

Postby lostboysaint » Fri Feb 15, 2013 13:45 pm

Just seen the first CX bike ever that's made me question whether I need a road bike and a hardtail MTB.

An Ibis Hakkalugi, Ultegra throughout, with Enve post, bars and stem, Hope carbon 30 wheels with disc hubs and a Hope cable/hydraulic disc conversion kit. Weighs nothing, beautiful bit of kit. Hopefully photos up on the Solent Cycles website soon.

So light that you wonder whether you need the road bike (ok, the gearing is slightly higher but that's only an issue going downhill or in a flat out sprint) and so competent with knobblies on that this one did a lap of QECP Red Route with the only problem being two pinch flats. Being realistic, which the owner wasn't at the time, you're not going to ride that sort of terrain often but it proved how capable it was.

A beautiful piece of kit.
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur
Allround - Cotic Solaris

Grahamcp

Postby Grahamcp » Fri Feb 15, 2013 15:20 pm

The Ibis looks lovely but £3500 would blow the budget and then some :-) and no mudguard mounts that I can see!

Raymondo60

Postby Raymondo60 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 17:32 pm

There was a less expensive version of the Ibis in last month's Cycling Plus mag I think, but be warned; like my Stevens Vapor (which is great by the way and does have disc brakes) I don't think it has mudguard/rack eyelets; its a 'Cross Racer' which, if you are looking for a mulit-purpose/winter bike, may not be ideal.
Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"

bendertherobot

Postby bendertherobot » Fri Feb 15, 2013 18:19 pm

Mudguard mounts are a must but you can fudge something generally.

Looking at Planet X's new offering. Interesting, you could stick p clip on for the front guard but there's no frame drilling for the rear.
My blog: www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)

Return to “Road Buying Advice”