1 month on the trainer and its getting better

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
VTech

1 month on the trainer and its getting better

Postby VTech » Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:00 pm

Im still feeling the burn for the first 2-3km but with regular 20km rides I have managed to knock my 20km time down from 49m 50s to 37m 30s so a reduction of 12m 20s !
Im not sure I feel any fitter but obviously I must be, My cadence has risen from an average of 70 to 81 and power from 113w to 167w.

This is a little over a months worth of training, im 4lb lighter which should have been more I know but its going to take time to change my diet :)
Living MY dream.

elderone

Re: 1 month on the trainer and its getting better

Postby elderone » Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:23 pm

Do you do a warm up first? Something like 10mins slowly building up to your cruise pace,then warm down after.Other than that you seem to be making progress,so keep it up and up the time.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

VTech

Postby VTech » Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:28 pm

If im honest I dont.
The runs im doing tend to have a 1km - 2km start and a 2km to 3km end so im using them as the warm up/down.
This should be ok ?
Living MY dream.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:31 pm

As long as you do about 10 mins at an easy gear and pace to warm up your legs and lungs then you will be fine. Similarly at the end to warm down too.

Good work by the way. Keep at it and get out on the real thing as much as you can too.
Yellow is the new Black.

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:37 pm

Well Done, 4lb down, 80 to go.
I Like Black Bikes

VTech

Postby VTech » Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:38 pm

Im off abroad at the weekend so will be taking the bike with me, weather is looking good at around 22 degrees so no rain for 5 days and time on my hands :)
Living MY dream.

VTech

Postby VTech » Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:41 pm

ShutUpLegs wrote:Well Done, 4lb down, 80 to go.

In a funny way, you being a total ar5e is really spurning me on so in a weird way I really appreciate it. You see, I rarely set my mind to something and not run through with it so with your help its just that little bit easier :mrgreen:
Living MY dream.

Brakeless

Postby Brakeless » Sun Feb 17, 2013 21:44 pm

VTech wrote:Im off abroad at the weekend so will be taking the bike with me, weather is looking good at around 22 degrees so no rain for 5 days and time on my hands :)

So you'll be able to turbo in the sun
Summer: A frame, two wheels, some gears bla bla bla
Winter: A frame, two wheels, some gears, a load of muck bla bla bla

VTech

Postby VTech » Sun Feb 17, 2013 22:01 pm

Im amazed at the negativity of using a turbo ? I could have lied and said I felt comfortable on a fast bike in rain/sleet/snow and ice yet I use the trainer to build stamina before I venture out which I think everyone should do as cycling off the cuff is dangerous for anyone who isnt used to it !!!!!
It would be like me handing one of you guys the keys to one of our cars and saying "of you go", it would be downright stupidity.

Anyway, miles up, weight down.
Living MY dream.

philwint

Postby philwint » Sun Feb 17, 2013 22:11 pm

I like turbo type stuff - personally I use an exercise bike, but yes I try for an hour a day if i can't get outside. And it's lost me about 4 stone.

But I have to disagree with

would be like me handing one of you guys the keys to one of our cars and saying "of you go", it would be downright stupidity.

Put anyone in one of your fast car's and they can press the accelerator it will go zoom, on a bike if you haven't the legs it doesn't matter if you are on a racing bike or a shopping tricycle, it's not going to going to go at more than a crawl :D

Also i just can't see that cycling is dangerous whether you are used to it or not. It's just a matter of common sense. Don't make your first ride be on a busy road. There are plenty of other places to ride to learn your bike handling.

Brakeless

Postby Brakeless » Sun Feb 17, 2013 22:12 pm

VTech wrote:Im amazed at the negativity of using a turbo ? I could have lied and said I felt comfortable on a fast bike in rain/sleet/snow and ice yet I use the trainer to build stamina before I venture out which I think everyone should do as cycling off the cuff is dangerous for anyone who isnt used to it !!!!!
It would be like me handing one of you guys the keys to one of our cars and saying "of you go", it would be downright stupidity.

Anyway, miles up, weight down.

So everyone should use a turbo before they ride outside :roll: What exactly is this dangerous 'cycling off the cuff' ?
Summer: A frame, two wheels, some gears bla bla bla
Winter: A frame, two wheels, some gears, a load of muck bla bla bla

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Sun Feb 17, 2013 22:17 pm

Cycling, in winter, might well be dangerous in certain circumstances. What I don't get is how pedalling a bike bolted to a turbo trainer, in your living room, is supposed to mitigate that......:lol:
Faster than a tent.......

Nik Cube

Postby Nik Cube » Sun Feb 17, 2013 22:37 pm

Turbo training is great for structure and allowing you to ride in a controlled and targeted manner. Out on the road there are lots of variables way out side of your control.

Having said that I ride on the road most days and turbo train 2-3 times a week.
Fcn 5
Cube attempt 2010

VTech

Postby VTech » Sun Feb 17, 2013 22:57 pm

I just find it amazing that the majority say its safe to simply get on a bike after a 20 year layoff and away you go, I really dont think this is good advice.
I went on the road last week for a 12km run and with so many things happening I found it tough, watching out for traffic, trying to keep at a reasonable pace so I didn't cause traffic incidents, watching everything around me whilst keeping in the straight line, making sure I took the right turn, listening to things around me.
I just think its a lot to do without practice or lessons.

Of course this is my opinion and I accept that almost everyone here disagrees but thats life. I am happy that I will feel safer with a little more fitness behind me.

@philwint, to be honest, if anyone could actually get the car off the line, they would almost certainly not be able to make a lap and would be in serious danger of hurting themselves.
Living MY dream.

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Sun Feb 17, 2013 23:04 pm

VTech wrote:I just think its a lot to do without practice or lessons.

Sure, after 25 years off the bike and no experience at all on a road bike, my control was a bit lacking, and my ability to process all the moving things around me simultaneously had gone away a bit.

It's back now. How a turbo would have helped me with any of that, given a complete absence of traffic, and no requirement to balance or steer, I have no idea.

I went out on quiet roads to start with, short distances... and built up gradually.

Lessons? Seriously????? :roll:
Is the gorilla tired yet?

VTech

Postby VTech » Sun Feb 17, 2013 23:07 pm

Maybe not lessons but I do think that with the help of a turbo, for someone who is by definition very unfit, it is a great tool to increase stamina and therefor be a safer cyclist.
Living MY dream.

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 23:08 pm

VTech wrote:I just find it amazing that the majority say its safe to simply get on a bike after a 20 year layoff and away you go, I really dont think this is good advice.
I went on the road last week for a 12km run and with so many things happening I found it tough, watching out for traffic, trying to keep at a reasonable pace so I didn't cause traffic incidents, watching everything around me whilst keeping in the straight line, making sure I took the right turn, listening to things around me.
I just think its a lot to do without practice or lessons.

Bizarre. Sitting on a turbo isn't going to make you a more experienced cyclist. You will only get that by riding a bike outside on real roads. The ability to ride a bike safely is not fitness-critical. You've clearly convinced yourself of these 'facts', but it doesn't make them correct.

VTech

Postby VTech » Sun Feb 17, 2013 23:11 pm

I never said I was right, I said it was my opinion and I cant help but feel that if you put 1000 cyclist who were 4st overweight and totally unfit and had them ride 20 miles and then got 1000 cyclists who were maybe 3.5st overweight but semi fit I reckon I know which group would struggle the most as an average.
Maybe ive convinced myself of that, maybe its just because I've wrote it that it gets a negative response, ive no idea but for me, I think I will feel safer with a few miles on my legs and having the fitness to peddle my way out of issues should I get into any.
Living MY dream.

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Sun Feb 17, 2013 23:28 pm

VTech wrote:I never said I was right, I said it was my opinion and I cant help but feel that if you put 1000 cyclist who were 4st overweight and totally unfit and had them ride 20 miles and then got 1000 cyclists who were maybe 3.5st overweight but semi fit I reckon I know which group would struggle the most as an average.
Maybe ive convinced myself of that, maybe its just because I've wrote it that it gets a negative response, ive no idea but for me, I think I will feel safer with a few miles on my legs and having the fitness to peddle my way out of issues should I get into any.

You are cycling - not flying the space shuttle. Look out the window - can you see that ? It's called reality - you should embrace it.

p1tse

Postby p1tse » Sun Feb 17, 2013 23:52 pm

I haven't been on a bike for almost 15 years and before that it was just as a kid messing about
I picked up my bike and 2.5 miles home for the first time was a killer
But I went out straight after with rides, choosing cycle paths and quiet roads, not far from home and kept route shorts

Are there any cycle paths, quieter routes you could do. Being in open air is so much different
Just got a turbo myself, but first 10 mins was a killer on that too lol

I'm more used to dealing with miles rather than kilometres, like in a car on uk roads, is there a reason why you quote km?

Return to “Road Beginners”