Archetype rims an upgrade on Open Pro?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Spudboy

Archetype rims an upgrade on Open Pro?

Postby Spudboy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 01:49 am

Hi, I currently have a set of hand-built open pro rims laced to Record hubs (32f 36r 2007 version) and cx ray spokes. These have been excellent wheels and I have no intention of getting rid of them but just fancied getting myself another set of wheels which offered something different. I was wondering whether the new wider rims like the H Plus Son Archetype offered much over and above the open pro or would I not notice the difference?

I'm a big rider at 6ft 4" and 110kg and don't race just recreational rides, sportives and the odd triathlon. I appreciate there's no real 'need' for new wheels. I guess a set of Gigantex carbon tubs would feel the most different but I'm not sure I want tubs (I know, I know lets not go there) and carbon clinchers are just asking for trouble.

Opinions appreciated.

ugo.santalucia

Re: Archetype rims an upgrade on Open Pro?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Tue Feb 19, 2013 06:47 am

not much, no... you will feel more difference in going from a Gatorskin tyre to a Vittoria CX. They are nice rims, they are not life changing, if you are on Open PRO

I guess the success is mostly down to looks... However, if I was doing lots of Alps, I would probably get 23 mm rims for better cornering downhill

Spudboy

Postby Spudboy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks Ugo, I suspected as much. I'm currently running 23c Conti GP4000s with standard conti butyl tubes which I find a good trade off between performance and pucture resistance but may throw on some Veloflex or Vittoria with latex tubes for the summer rides to see how those feel.

Cheers.

mattythemod

Postby mattythemod » Tue Feb 19, 2013 14:23 pm

Spudboy wrote:Thanks Ugo, I suspected as much. I'm currently running 23c Conti GP4000s with standard conti butyl tubes which I find a good trade off between performance and pucture resistance but may throw on some Veloflex or Vittoria with latex tubes for the summer rides to see how those feel.

Cheers.

In the process of getting some Archetype rims built up onto some DT Swiss 240 hubs using some DB Comp spokes i normally run Conti GP4000 in a 25 guise so am looking foward to see if i notice a big diuffrence .

Return to “Road Buying Advice”