bike insurance? and travel to Majorca.

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
JAMIE4759

bike insurance? and travel to Majorca.

Postby JAMIE4759 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 18:02 pm

I am due to travel to Majorca in April and I have two queries: 1) What would be better, bike bag or bike box? Any advice re which one (make and model etc.) to buy, and 2) What are the views about bike insurance? Any advice regarding which company to use? I have spoken to my home insurance company and they state that they would not insure the bike for foreign travel. Any advice welcome.

VTech

Re: bike insurance? and travel to Majorca.

Postby VTech » Wed Feb 20, 2013 18:40 pm

Bike box is the only option IMO, where you going ? there are loads of hire shops.
Living MY dream.

fluff.

Postby fluff. » Wed Feb 20, 2013 19:06 pm

Take your pedals and saddle and hire one there IMO, the hire bikes available in Majorca are of good quality, and it saves you worrying about boxes/insurance & what the bag throwers will do to your precious.

Luv2ride

Postby Luv2ride » Wed Feb 20, 2013 19:26 pm

+1 for hiring a bike. Try ProCycle Hire in Puerto Pollensa and hire a titanium Van Nicholas beauty. I shall be in August this year. If you do go the hire route I'd definitely recommend taking your own lid (as well as the obvious shoes and pedals). Last time i went I didn't take my helmet and the choices in the shop were a bit minging if I'm honest. All other equipment, including the VN Euros I hired, was top notch though and the staff took some time to get me set up on the bike and talk me through some good routes. Also very accommodating when i extended the hire by another day at short notice...8)
Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Tifosi CK7 - Pinnacle Arkose Singlespeed "monster cross" - Spesh Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Galatzo

Postby Galatzo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 01:21 am

I bought an Evoc bike travel bag a few weeks ago ready for my trip at the end of March. Was looking at a hard case but the weight penalty plus the reviews of the Evoc made me go for it.
If your down the SW of the island these guys provide very nice bikes, used them quite a few times.
Re insurance, I'm also wondering what to do. Airlines only cover to about £400, what I've seen of sport specific insurers is a limit of £3-500 on the bike when in transit and also at destination when in use which is pretty much useless. Could end up flying it without any cover other than fingers crossed for 2 hours !
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Grill

Postby Grill » Thu Feb 21, 2013 07:38 am

Hard shell bike box + insurance. Why sell yourself short on a holiday?
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Thu Feb 21, 2013 07:49 am

Check if you can extend your home contents insurance.
That was a cheaper option for me, by far!
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 pm

Galatzo wrote:I bought an Evoc bike travel bag a few weeks ago ready for my trip at the end of March. Was looking at a hard case but the weight penalty plus the reviews of the Evoc made me go for it.
If your down the SW of the island these guys provide very nice bikes, used them quite a few times.
Re insurance, I'm also wondering what to do. Airlines only cover to about £400, what I've seen of sport specific insurers is a limit of £3-500 on the bike when in transit and also at destination when in use which is pretty much useless. Could end up flying it without any cover other than fingers crossed for 2 hours !

Used my Evoc 3 times now to Majorca and back, absolutely fine.

What i do for peace of mind is this; imagine you had to destroy your bike when fully packed up in the bag, withyour bare hands. Imagine kicking it, hurling it down the stairs, whatever. I then realized that I was very unlikely to be ableto damage it, so good is the protection, and then, i can sleep easy!
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

RC856

Postby RC856 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 17:23 pm

I'm also interested in the insurance side of things.
Went to Italy last year and just had Post Office insurance but going to Majorca in April as well and I have a new
'good bike' which is worth more.

I feel I've done a good bit of Google searching but the best insurers seem to come up with contents of about £1,500 which isn't near enough.

Thanks,

Richie

Mr_Mojo

Postby Mr_Mojo » Fri Feb 22, 2013 22:23 pm

Been to Mallorca for the past two years on a training camp and going back in June this year. Always take my own bike a Colnago Extreme C so not cheep and use the Polaris Bike Pod but don't bother with additional insurance as if it's damaged it's probably just the frame so could transfer the components onto a new one. Good excuse to upgrade :wink:

Always stay in Port Pollenca and Pro Cycle Hire seems to be very popular.

desertman01

Postby desertman01 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 18:00 pm

Do some insurers insist on hard shell bike box ?

Stueys

Postby Stueys » Sat Feb 23, 2013 18:11 pm

I just bought a bike box Alan for this reason. Have mallorca in April and etape in July. Bike hire in mallorca looked good but to be honest not as nice as my own bike and I know my bike is setup for me. Bike box hire looked interesting but if you assume your going to travel once a year it doesn't take that long to make more sense to buy your own.

My bike is covered on my house insurance, which cost me an additional 25-30 a year I think. I've got an all risks policy which covers it for damage, theft, etc, etc. It's cheaper and seems to have a lot less exclusions than a separate bike policy.

mallorcajeff

Postby mallorcajeff » Sat Feb 23, 2013 20:40 pm

Bike box Alan I use. I have one but its here in Mallorca you could have used it but its the wrong direction! Pack it well you should be fine. If its gets damaged and you didn't cover you may have dropped it when you got home ;-)

Return to “Road Buying Advice”