Will these tyres be worth it?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
stueyboy

Will these tyres be worth it?

Postby stueyboy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 18:50 pm

Been riding my Giant Defy 2 over the Winter and have been suffering a few too many punctures in my book. The stock tyre is pretty soft, so probably more suited for the Summer and I have had a couple of punctures in the same place because I missed a really small and really sharp stone stuck right in the tyre.

Anyway, I spotted these continental tyres on Wiggle and they seem a good price in the sale. I expect they will be much more resistant to punctures by reading the reviews and stuff. Has anyone on here got any experience or any downsides to them? Also, as a fairly noob rider, is 320g per tyre a bit on the heavy side?

Ta

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-ult ... road-tyre/

pastey_boy

Re: Will these tyres be worth it?

Postby pastey_boy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 19:11 pm

These weigh 235 grams each and are pretty tough for their weight and they last ages. £45 a pair posted with the discount.
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/t ... tyres.html
Viner Salviati
Time Speeder S
Giant Propel Advanced
Px Ti Custom
Cougar 531
Sab single speed
Argon 18 E-112 TT
One-one Ti 456 Evo
Ridley Cheetah TT
Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
Yeti ASR 5
Dolan Preffisio

Ber Nard

Postby Ber Nard » Wed Feb 20, 2013 20:01 pm

I've just replaced Gatorskins (the folding version) with Pro 4 Endurance and the Michelins are so much better. They ride better and have much better grip. At £45 a pair, I'd consider it a no-brainer.

Rob

xcMuttley

Postby xcMuttley » Wed Feb 20, 2013 20:02 pm

What about a set of these?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/onz ... 3#features

205g, With a free inner tube with each tyre.

Good reviews too, http://road.cc/content/review/58899-onz ... 0cx23-tyre

And to top it off you can get an extra few £ knocked off if you put PARTS15 into the promotional code box.

I would get some myself if i had enough money...

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Wed Feb 20, 2013 22:36 pm

Bollox to all that.

Vittoria Zaffiro slicks - £6.99 each, grip well, roll cool.

I've used them all year round for about 3 years now (everyday all weather - including snow and ice communting), long rides (180km day long weekends with British duathlon champion training rides) and pottering about with N2 child on the kiddy seat) and suffered maybe one/two puncture/s. Last for 8/9 months then chuck them on the turbo wheel/in the bin, but at £6.99 each, hey, who's counting?

Run them at 125/130 psi.

Absolute 100% bargain.

Well recommended - I use these and tubs - nothing else.
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

stueyboy

Postby stueyboy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 09:02 am

Thanks folk for the comments and advice. I do like the grip on the Giant standard tyres but they are too soft for the Winter. The Vittoria ones are definitely a good price which will likely mean they are worth a punt just to see what they're like.

alexl89

Postby alexl89 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 pm

If you don't care about a bit of extra weight, I would go for the specialized armadillo tyres... I have used them for over a year on my commuter bike and I have never had a puncture with them.

In my opinion armadillo and gatorskins are the best for puncture protection. I would rather spend a little bit of extra money on tyres then having to sit at the side of the road repairing a puncture... or buying new inner tubes all the time.

Go for the gatorskins if you don't want to lose much speed.

Also, I used to have the Vittoria Zaffiro tyres, but quickly replaced those on my racer with gatorskins due to getting to many punctures.

Why would you get really cheap slick tyres if you want puncture protection? And if you do go for the 100g+ lighter tyres, just remember that if you have 4 packs of crisps with you, you will have gone back to the same weight. And you will get more punctures :P

Return to “Workshop”