Jogle bike selected...is it right..! ...help today please.!

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Toe knee

Postby Toe knee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 16:33 pm

This is an update on my previous post about my 2yr training plan and then a jogle.
I went out yesterday bike searching with a £700 budget, anyway ended up in one of my LBS , and after trying a couple of treks and cannondales , I was shown a cannondale synapse 5 American import special.not many in the country they said, it's colour scheme is black/green, similar to the team coloured frame, the frame itself is a 56cm. I had a quick spin on it and ran through the gears , tried brakes ..etc. .
Back in the shop I paid a £50 deposit and came home, picking it up Monday. I had a look at the sizing chart when I got home and the 56cm frame is for a person 5'10", and I am 5' 9", now I did feel like I was stretching a little bit on the hoods but not uncomfortable, I am now having second thoughts about this bike incase it leads to strains and damage to me in the future ?
I have rang another shop up today and enquired about a defy 3 , and they said they would let me have it for £600. Cash,
My other dilemma is if the first shop will give me my deposit back, if they won't then I will have to stick with them and choose another bike, the two alternatives I could have are a trek 1.2 , or a black and white synapse 4 with 2300 components. My final question is with regards to the bike with the deposit on it , could slight adjustments be made to it to accommodate the slight stretching I have on it.

Thank you for any responses, I don't want to end up with the wrong bike tommorow due to my Own Stupidity.

Thanks tony.
Last edited by Toe knee on Sun Feb 24, 2013 18:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eskimo427

Re: Jogle bike selected...is it right..! ...help today pleas

Postby Eskimo427 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:06 pm

Can't comment on deposits etc, however I can tell you I bought a bike which was a little too big. Swapped the bar stem for a shorter one and changed for bars with less reach and the bike was very comfy over the 22 mile test ride I did. Not jogle distance test though.

Won't the supplying shop do bike fit for you?

Canny lad

Postby Canny lad » Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:10 pm

Hopefully your LBS wouldn't just stick you on any bike to get shot of it. I'm the same height as you (5' 9" not 6' 9" :shock: ) and both my bikes have been 56cm frames so the sizing isn't outrageous. If you're new to a road bike the position will feel a bit stretched at first, there are tweeks you can make if it still feels wrong after a couple of weeks (flip the stem/fit a shorter stem). Whichever bike you do get, ask the shop to stick you on the rollers and check your setup as a bare minimum if they won't chuck a bike fit as part of the deal :)

Grill

Postby Grill » Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:16 pm

If you feel stretched in the shop it will be worse on the road. I'm taller than you (assuming you're 5'9") and would ride that bike in a 54.
English Cycles V3 | Scott Plasma 3 TT | BMC TrackMachine TM01 | Ritchey Road Logic | Scott CX Team

Toe knee

Postby Toe knee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 17:24 pm

Thanks canny lad, have edited my basketball player height :D :lol:

Toe knee

Help with cannondale synapse American import...!

Postby Toe knee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 18:45 pm

by Toe knee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:33 pm

This is an update on my previous post about my 2yr training plan and then a jogle.
I went out yesterday bike searching with a £700 budget, anyway ended up in one of my LBS , and after trying a couple of treks and cannondales , I was shown a cannondale synapse 5 American import special.not many in the country they said, it's colour scheme is black/green, similar to the team coloured frame, the frame itself is a 56cm. I had a quick spin on it and ran through the gears , tried brakes ..etc. .
Back in the shop I paid a £50 deposit and came home, picking it up Monday. I had a look at the sizing chart when I got home and the 56cm frame is for a person 5'10", and I am 5' 9", now I did feel like I was stretching a little bit on the hoods but not uncomfortable, I am now having second thoughts about this bike incase it leads to strains and damage to me in the future ?
I have rang another shop up today and enquired about a defy 3 , and they said they would let me have it for £600. Cash,
My other dilemma is if the first shop will give me my deposit back, if they won't then I will have to stick with them and choose another bike, the two alternatives I could have are a trek 1.2 , or a black and white synapse 4 with 2300 components. My final question is with regards to the bike with the deposit on it , could slight adjustments be made to it to accommodate the slight stretching I have on it.

Thank you for any responses, I don't want to end up with the wrong bike tommorow due to my Own Stupidity.

Thanks tony.
Last edited by Toe knee on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Toe knee

deerider

Re: Help with cannondale synapse American import...!

Postby deerider » Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:04 pm

i,m 6 ft and i tried a synapse 56cm and found it felt too big , if you are worried about stretching you could always get the bike shop to fit a shorter stem , if you could get your deposit back try graham weigh cycles in deeside , they will build a bike up for you taking into account your height , reach etc

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:15 pm

Well I'm 6 1 and my 56 Synapse fits like a glove... so you may have been better with a 54.
If the standover is ok and possibly the seatpost to have zero set back and with a 100 or 90 stem instead of the supplied 120, you may still be ok.
All bikes need to tweaked anyways off the shelf.

mjbennett

Postby mjbennett » Sun Feb 24, 2013 19:34 pm

Cannondale's normally come with a setback seat post. You will be a 54 in a cannondale, but if you get an inline seatpost you should be ok.

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 21:11 pm

Wouldn't recommend trying to make the 56 fit with things like inline posts - it'll throw your weight forward and make handling worse - road bikes were designed for saddle setback to get the weight between the wheels.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Toe knee

Cannondale jogle synapse USA import....!

Postby Toe knee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 21:24 pm

http://www.citybikesonline.com/2013-can ... -bike.html

This is the bike in question I am about to purchase tomorrow for£630 so long as I get enough positives off you the experts tonight, if it is at all possible to tweak it to accomodate me, then it's a definite yes to buying it.
If you forsee any problems with it then please tell me and I will have to review the choices in the shop.

Please see my earlier posts regarding jogle bike chosen , and jogle goal for a full insight into my situation .

Thank you tony. :D
Last edited by Toe knee on Sun Feb 24, 2013 22:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Toe knee

Cannondale synapse USA import !

Postby Toe knee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 21:27 pm

http://www.citybikesonline.com/2013-can ... -bike.html

This is the bike in question I am about to purchase tomorrow for£630 so long as I get enough positives off you the experts tonight, if it is at all possible to tweak it to accomodate me, then it's a definite yes to buying it.
If you forsee any problems with it then please tell me and I will have to review the choices in the shop.

Please see my earlier posts regarding jogle bike chosen , and toggle goal for a full incite into my situation .

Thank you tony.
Toe knee

amaferanga

Re: Cannondale jogle synapse USA import....!

Postby amaferanga » Sun Feb 24, 2013 21:31 pm

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy in the UK? How much is shipping and have you factored in import duty and VAT?
More problems but still living....

Toe knee

Re: Cannondale jogle synapse USA import....!

Postby Toe knee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 21:38 pm

Sorry, it's in my LBS , going to pick it up tomorrow.!

cougie

Postby cougie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 22:26 pm

Sounds like its ballpark the right size for you.
A new stem might be all that's needed or you might be fine.
Do you have a road bike already ? The position can feel a bit odd to begin with.

The colour really doesn't matter.

Toe knee

Postby Toe knee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 22:48 pm

Thanks cougie,
I don't have a road bike at the moment, swapped it last year for a Mtb after a near miss with a van, but the bug has remained and now I want a road bike again, I am just hoping that they are not taking advantage of a relative newbie to get rid of old stock that doesnt fit anyone, at the end of the day it's up to me to try it again tomorrow and question if its the right fit for me, I just wanted some expert opinions off the forum first.

Tony

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 23:31 pm

I concur that a 54cm Dale would be right for you IME.

i ride a 54 and I am 5'10 with 30" inside leg.
Yellow is the new Black.

mroli

Postby mroli » Sun Feb 24, 2013 23:56 pm

As people have said, I would have thought you were a 54 rather than a 56 at 5ft9 - but some of that depends on how the bike is set up. For example, I'm 5'10/11 and ride a 56 with a 12cm stem and a lay back post. You could easily change a stem to a shorter one, adjust the saddle so it was as forward as possible, or go to an inline post for relatively little outlay - BUT if the LBS is worth their salt, they should be able to tell you whether you fit the bike or not.

I don't think they are trying to con you - for example the Evans chart has you as between a 54 and a 56: http://www.evanscycles.com/product_document/file/8bf/537/a02/21/road-bike-sizing-chart.pdf
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12829837 here is someone who went through exactly the same options as you - might be worth looking at this post

Shaun67

Postby Shaun67 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 08:43 am

I have a Synapse 54cm, I'm 175cm tall and it fits fine. I think a 56cm frame will be to big for you...sorry.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”