Halfords Rant

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
Bullet1

Halfords Rant

Postby Bullet1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 23:13 pm

Having bought my Boardman from Halfords, I've generally been very happy with the limited service I've received from car parts shop.

That is until today! Broke a spoke on Sunday so monday morning 9am and given Halfords was the most convenient place to drop it in as its close to work decided to drop it off there to be replaced and trued rather than my no so convenient LBS.

Was told most likely be ready Tuesday but possibly Wednesday - not a problem
Cost up to £25 - thought it was double what it should be but 'up to' and handed the wheel over by then.

Them received a voicemail at 6.15 this evening (Tue) telling me they didn't gave any spokes in stock so would have to order - can I call them back to let them know if they are to still fix it! This store closes at 6pm so of course no one answers the phone as soon as I called back.

So really pissed off with their shite service and the fact they had my wheel for 2 days before anyone realised they had no spokes.

Not sure if I'm being too harsh but now likely to miss my mid week evening ride!

They are moving as a company from a retailer who sells 'family bikes' to a retailer who sells 'riders bikes' with the addition of the Pinarello range and riding on the wings of the Wiggo effect but still employ spotty teenagers who don't match their goals as a company!

Grr - rant over!

gezebo

Re: Halfords Rant

Postby gezebo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 23:17 pm

Just get it back before they make it even worse and go to a real shop!

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Wed Feb 27, 2013 00:01 am

And then make sure you have spare wheels at home!

TakeTurns

Postby TakeTurns » Wed Feb 27, 2013 00:05 am

Goes without saying, worst retailer in the UK. It's a proven fact.

Cleat Eastwood

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Wed Feb 27, 2013 00:21 am

I quite like them - and to be fair you could have given your custom to any lbs and still had to wait - anyway when you're in need of some cheap bits and bobs for your bike you'll find they come in handy - where else can you buy a water bottle with korky the cat on so readily. :| :evil: :shock: :oops: :!: :x :D
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

ednino

Postby ednino » Wed Feb 27, 2013 07:19 am

Simply terrible!
I work in a main dealer service department. If i had someones car for more than an hour without checking correct parts are in stock, i'd be in trouble!

Truth is, they hire a bunch of stupid kids with no experience in cars/bikes/customer services and give them next to no training

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 07:27 am

TakeTurns wrote:Goes without saying, worst retailer in the UK. It's a proven fact.

When I even intimated that in another thread I was flamed to hell and back.

I tend to agree though.
Yellow is the new Black.

AFF40N

Postby AFF40N » Wed Feb 27, 2013 08:30 am

I had a Boardman from Halfords. Had a couple of problems with the rear wheel hub and the BB. They had the bike for 10 days!
They hadn't ordered the parts, the bike mechanic was off, they had to wait for the new rear wheel etc etc
I was on the phone every day, e-mails to the branch and head office but it didn't make a difference. They couldn't care less.
I used them because my bike was in warranty. Never used them before and will only use my lbs in the future

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 08:49 am

smidsy wrote:
TakeTurns wrote:Goes without saying, worst retailer in the UK. It's a proven fact.

When I even intimated that in another thread I was flamed to hell and back.

I tend to agree though.

Your reputation goes before you :wink:
I Like Black Bikes

zx6man

Postby zx6man » Wed Feb 27, 2013 08:54 am

and you would have let a "spotty teenager" fit a spoke and true the wheel is more scary, maybe you was lucky they had no spokes :-)

Lycraboy_Andy

Postby Lycraboy_Andy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 08:55 am

I could quite easily unleash some very colourful language with regards to Halfords but that would be inappropriate on here! My favourite 'experience' was when they had my bike all day to sort the brakes out and did absolutely nothing to it...but I was grateful that they let me store it in their back room for the day - albeit at a cost.

How do they survive in this tough economic time? There's been some big name high street casualties in recent months/years and yet Halfords seem to saunter on ripping people off and letting them down.

I stay away if I can, because it does seem to have a mysterious magnetic field that draws you in...I find I just have to go in and buy something only to discover it's a pile of poop. Then I kick myself for not learning my lesson!

GRRR!!

zx6man

Postby zx6man » Wed Feb 27, 2013 08:56 am

Good products, bad shop.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 09:06 am

ShutUpLegs wrote:Your reputation goes before you :wink:

Me?...Ruputation?.....Oh my! :lol:
Yellow is the new Black.

Bustacapp

Postby Bustacapp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 09:13 am

They're a somewhat bigger operation than an lbs so don't expect the same small-time customized experience you'd get from an lbs that's desperate for custom.

It's no different than taking your computer to PC world to get it fixed instead of your LCS. Don't expect an immediate turnaround! Ever thought they may have other things to do?

Common sense really.

Oh and I bet those 'spotty teenagers' could teach the majority of riders on here a thing or two about maintenance.

Carbonator

Postby Carbonator » Wed Feb 27, 2013 09:15 am

You just have to know their limitations and use them for what they do best.
Would have taken the wheel to an LBS and not mentioned it was from a Boardman :wink:

Am still in shock at what they did to Victoria Pendleton :shock:

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 09:31 am

Bustacapp wrote:They're a somewhat bigger operation than an lbs so don't expect the same small-time customized experience you'd get from an lbs that's desperate for custom.

Don't expect an immediate turnaround! Ever thought they may have other things to do? Common sense really.

Surely this is not the same person who created Ribble Gate! :lol:
Yellow is the new Black.

Bullet1

Postby Bullet1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 09:36 am

So - went in to collect the wheel this morning..........and it came out minus cassette, skewer, tyre tube etc!

They then spent 15 minutes looking for all the stuff - and brought out the cassette 'it is a 9 speed?' - No a 10 speed, que another 5 minutes looking!

No store manager to speak to - Head Office called and awaiting a call back!

Bustacapp wrote:
Oh and I bet those 'spotty teenagers' could teach the majority of riders on here a thing or two about maintenance.

I'm sure they could - but no where near as much as most of us could teach them about attitude and customer service!

Bustacapp

Postby Bustacapp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 am

smidsy wrote:
Bustacapp wrote:They're a somewhat bigger operation than an lbs so don't expect the same small-time customized experience you'd get from an lbs that's desperate for custom.

Don't expect an immediate turnaround! Ever thought they may have other things to do? Common sense really.

Surely this is not the same person who created Ribble Gate! :lol:

Ribble are a mail order company. Lame comparison.

Bustacapp

Postby Bustacapp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:02 am

Bullet1 wrote:I'm sure they could - but no where near as much as most of us could teach them about attitude and customer service!

My experience at Halfords was generally a positive one from the spotty youths.

Perhaps you came across as a bit of a cnut?

Bullet1

Postby Bullet1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 am

Bustacapp wrote:Perhaps you came across as a bit of a cnut?

Perhaps he thinks I'm one after venting my disapproval! :lol:

Return to “Road Beginners”