Help. I can't stop.

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
vermin

Help. I can't stop.

Postby vermin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:01 am

The title might have suggested an interesting topic, but sadly not so.

Can anyone explain to me why my brakes don't work. Since swapping out shimano pads for swissstop greens a few months ago, my stopping distance has been so bad it's sometimes scary. It's so bad that I have now snapped a 4 month old cable by pulling too hard on it. The pads are the right way around, on the right sides, etc. The levers and calipers are 105s and worked great with the old pads. The rims are (were) brand new Mavic Ksyrium Elites. What can be wrong?

Is it something to do with the seating? Should there be some toe in/out? If oil has got onto the rims/pads how can that be eliminated completely?

pangolin

Re: Help. I can't stop.

Postby pangolin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:10 am

The only way to be safe is to stop cycling vermin. It's for the best. Give it about 4 months.
Genesis Croix de Fer

dhope

Postby dhope » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 am

Should toe in slightly. I tend to put a bit of card at the back of the pad when lining them up so it's a mm or so away from the rim, just enough that the braking builds gradually.

Give your rim a good clean, fnar. Or new bike, naturally.
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:23 am

I'm surprised. When I put the Greens on my Kona my stopping distances improved, especially in the wet. They did get worse with a dirty rim though. I would recommend cleaning your rim, but not with WD40.
If you have got oil into the pad material it's very difficult to completely eliminate it. You need a solvent that won't affect the rubber.

vermin

Postby vermin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks dhope, shall try that tonight. What's the strongest safe-to-use rim/pad degreaser?

pangolin wrote:The only way to be safe is to stop cycling vermin. It's for the best. Give it about 4 months.

Feeling a bit left behind my scaly friend? Heads up for you: I'm off the bike today and probably tomorrow, and you'll have a 3 week window during March in which to catch up. :D

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 am

I was given some Swissstop Greens to replace my standard pads - only had a chance to ride the bike twice so far - but happy with braking - seems better than the previous ones, but they were worn quite badly..

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:37 am

i cleaned my bike yesterday (annual clean)

after lubing the chain up i give the bike a spray with GT85 because A. it smells lovely B. it makes everything super shiny & fresh from the shop look

i might have sprayed gt85 all over my rims too as my brakes had all the power of a wet lettuce...made my ride home interesting to say the least
Keeping it classy since '83

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:42 am

<hushed voices off> diiiiisssc braaaakes..... :wink: :D
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:56 am

meanredspider wrote:<hushed voices off> diiiiisssc braaaakes..... :wink: :D

i remember when men were real men an used cabled gears....an when they used canti brakes

pffft modern men, i bet you even moisturize aswell dont you
Keeping it classy since '83

chrisvanderkaap

Postby chrisvanderkaap » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:57 am

isopropol alcohol on the rims and a file to (slightly!) rough up the rubbers. It's an old cyclocross trick when installing new rubbers before a race.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:13 am

mudcow007 wrote:

i remember when men were real men an used cabled gears....an when they used canti brakes

LMFAO - at the moment I'm on the MTB/Spiker combo because I ride through all weathers 8) :wink:

Funny you should say about moisturizer. Mrs MRS said only the other day that I should think about it because my face is looking so weather-beaten. Instead I just use a big tub of MTFU :wink: :D
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 am

chrisvanderkaap wrote:isopropol alcohol on the rims and a file to (slightly!) rough up the rubbers. It's an old cyclocross trick when installing new rubbers before a race.

Everyone else pinches the end and rolls them down. PS that bit shouldn't be considered a race).

In seriousness, take your wheels out and wash them. Liberally coat the braking track, rim etc with water soluble degreaser, work with an old toothbrush then rinse. Then repeat but with either a technical bike wash (or in my cheap wheels' case, washing up liquid). Rinse thoroughly. Dry any drivetrain parts that get wet (drip dry is fine for the rims).

Then clean up the pads - again, soap or bikewash and a toothbrush to agitate.

Its worked a treat for me in the past. And yes, toe in.
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:17 am

meanredspider wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:

LMFAO - at the moment I'm on the MTB/Spiker combo because I ride through all weathers 8) :wink:

You want to get down south then - us southern softies are back on our roadbikes- Summer has begun!

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:21 am

Slowbike wrote:You want to get down south then - us southern softies are back on our roadbikes- Summer has begun!

It's always summer down there - it's what makes you sooooo soft :roll: :wink:

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:44 am

meanredspider wrote:
Slowbike wrote:You want to get down south then - us southern softies are back on our roadbikes- Summer has begun!

That's what Icelanders say about you :lol:
Faster than a tent.......

walkingbootweather

Postby walkingbootweather » Wed Feb 27, 2013 13:08 pm

Rolf F wrote:That's what Icelanders say about you :lol:

I think it's more likely for an Icelander to say

Það er alltaf sumar þarna niðri - það er það sem gerir þér sooooo mjúk
:wink:
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

team47b

Postby team47b » Wed Feb 27, 2013 18:29 pm

meanredspider wrote:

Winter bike :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

MTB-Idle

Postby MTB-Idle » Wed Feb 27, 2013 21:40 pm

Just cos I'm addicted to drinking brake fluid doesn't mean I can't stop anytime like
FCN = 4

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Wed Feb 27, 2013 22:52 pm

meanredspider wrote:

Nah - we just wash our kit more often - with added softener! - anyway - all that extra washing is why we keep having droughts and hosepipe bans. :)

PBo

Postby PBo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 07:06 am

Slowbike wrote:
meanredspider wrote:

Nah - we just wash our kit more often - with added softener! - anyway - all that extra washing is why we keep having droughts and hosepipe bans. :)

Speak for yourself, I never wash my kit.

Has one advantage...even the cars give me a wide berth!!!

Return to “Commuting Chat”