The trend continues: Burds name for groupsets

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
DonDaddyD

The trend continues: Burds name for groupsets

Postby DonDaddyD » Thu Feb 28, 2013 16:54 pm

The trend continues.

Shimano have decided to replace its entry level 2300 groupset with a new one called 'Claris'. Now while 2300 was and is an uninmaginative name, it ain't f*cking 'Claris', which is a burds name and wouldn't look out of place on a pink Pashley.

What pisses me off is that with bikes being sold at extortionate prices these days, should I ever buy a new one I will likely be in Claris's price range and there is no way, no f*cking way, I am riding a bike with a groupset called Claris.

And before you grumble bums step on my dick. When I buy a car I don't want it to be called Beverly or Miriam. I want a collection of aggressive sounding numbers and letters 205 GTI, XR2, ZR8, MX5 or Mazda 6.

My trainers are called Air Max, Air Force One's, Superstars, Decades. They are not called 'Sheba' or Clare.

We all know Campags Athena should have been ZEUS or Hades or Ares. But you all shouted me down, so here we are. Burd's name or Burd sounding names on our Groupsets. See this is where being all liberal and turning a blind eye to Athena gets you.

Dis-f*cking-cuss.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

msmancunia

Re: The trend continues: Burds name for groupsets

Postby msmancunia » Thu Feb 28, 2013 16:55 pm

What's a groupset anyway?
Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:04 pm

DonDaddyD wrote: 205 GTI

OK
DonDaddyD wrote:XR2

OK
DonDaddyD wrote:ZR8

Thats a ******* treadmill (yeah yeah, I know - but I ask you what comes up first in Google!)
DonDaddyD wrote:MX5

Hairdresser, but drives ok
DonDaddyD wrote:Mazda 6

Want to Zoom Zoom? Really? MTFU.

But still, it offers both a "compact 46/34T" and is "said to work best with Shimano's HG50 8-speed 11-32T cassette". Should we warn Balham Hill?
Last edited by cyclingprop on Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

DonDaddyD

Postby DonDaddyD » Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:06 pm

msmancunia wrote:What's a groupset anyway?

Poke fun all you want but there is a reason why men get bikes called:

Tarmac and Roubaix

Amira, Ruby, Dolce
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:06 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:
And before you grumble bums step on my dick. When I buy a car I don't want it to be called Beverly or Miriam. I want a collection of aggressive sounding numbers and letters 205 GTI, XR2, ZR8, MX5 or Mazda 6.

I see what you did there - living the dream! Claris is bad I must admit. Don't mind Athena though, she's a goddess at the end of the day - who doesn't like a goddess?!

kelsen

Postby kelsen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:07 pm

In female terms, it's like kitchen utensils and post and pans. Individually they're not very useful, but when all working together it'll allow you to make a nice roast dinner for your bloke

:wink:

cyclingprop

Postby cyclingprop » Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:08 pm

kelsen wrote:

In female terms, it's like kitchen utensils and post and pans. Individually they're not very useful, but when all working together it'll allow you to make a nice roast dinner for your bloke

:wink:

FTW.
What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?

Widgey

Postby Widgey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:14 pm

Doesn't sound technical enough, its nice to see peoples bemused look when you say Ultegra 6600.

DonDaddyD

Postby DonDaddyD » Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:15 pm

cyclingprop wrote:
But still, it offers both a "compact 46/34T" and is "said to work best with Shimano's HG50 8-speed 11-32T cassette". Should we warn Balham Hill?

Great,

Balham Hill is gonna plagued with by 'Nodders, The Next Generation' all spinning on the 34/32T gear up Balham Hill.

You can't go all Contador or Armstrong while riding Claris.

SRAM got it right: Apex, Rival, Force and Red.

Shimano are OK from Tiagra (which makes you think Tiger - the baddest animal in the Jungle) onwards.

Campag: Veloce is a great name for a groupset, Centaur not so much, Chorus is superb, Record and Super Record mind blowing, I hear that and I get tingly down there - and that's what a Groupset name should do. F*cking Claris and Athena, what the f*ck...

All the electonic groupset names are sensible: EPS and Di2 and Ui2. Great names, could go on the back of a car they could.
Food Chain number = 4

Greg66 Tri v2.0

Postby Greg66 Tri v2.0 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:33 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:When I buy a car I don't want it to be called Beverly or Miriam.

How about Portia?
Swim. Bike. Run. Yup, that's definitely what I'm supposed to be doing.

Bike 1
Bike 2
Bike 3

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:47 pm

Does your bike not have a burds name?

Karen?

Oh. I get it now. You like a burd with male bits.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Ian.B

Postby Ian.B » Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:47 pm

Oh dear, it gets worse - ClariS is "a Japanese pop music duo and idol unit consisting of [first year junior] high school girls Clara and Alice from Hokkaido.... In order to put a priority on their schoolwork, ClariS have not released photos of themselves to the public and employ illustrators to draw their likenesses. When drawn, Clara is depicted wearing pink items, and Alice is shown wearing blue items. Images of the crescent moon are used as a motif to represent Clara, and the sun is used to represent Alice, which comes from their personal preferences. Clara is shown with slightly wavy hair and no bangs, while Alice is drawn with straight hair with bangs. To further preserve their anonymity, Clara and Alice have not told anyone they know (aside from their families) that they debuted as music artists. Both admit that they are otaku, and have taken an interest in anime and anime music. Clara says that she keeps her otaku interests a secret from others at school, and Alice has called herself a Disney otaku." (Wikipedia):

Ian.B

Postby Ian.B » Thu Feb 28, 2013 17:49 pm

TailWindHome wrote:Does your bike not have a burds name?

Karen?

Oh. I get it now. You like a burd with male bits.

Well remembered :lol:

vermin

Postby vermin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 18:02 pm

Greg66 Tri v2.0 wrote:
DonDaddyD wrote:When I buy a car I don't want it to be called Beverly or Miriam.

How about Portia?

:lol: Very good.

dhope

Postby dhope » Thu Feb 28, 2013 18:41 pm

Claris?

All depends how you say it...

Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Thu Feb 28, 2013 19:34 pm

He's in denial. I wonder when he'll announce the op....... :lol:

Looks like they've got Chain Reaction to design the packaging......

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gallery/article/shimano-claris-groupset-first-look-36427/9
Last edited by Rolf F on Thu Feb 28, 2013 20:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faster than a tent.......

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Thu Feb 28, 2013 19:48 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:Shimano are OK from Tiagra (which makes you think Tiger - the baddest animal in the Jungle) onwards.

Campag: Veloce is a great name for a groupset, Centaur not so much, Chorus is superb, Record and Super Record mind blowing, I hear that and I get tingly down there - and that's what a Groupset name should do. F*cking Claris and Athena, what the f*ck...

All the electonic groupset names are sensible: EPS and Di2 and Ui2. Great names, could go on the back of a car they could.

The electronic groupsets are as drearily dully named as the concept. Yes, they could go on the back of a car - they are that unimaginitive. Mind, you are a bit out of date - I had a little go with a new electronic groupset today; Athena EPS :lol:

Google image Chorus and the first thing that comes up is:

How tough and manly is that?!

Tiagra - oh, that'll be that macho little Vauxhall!

However, credit where it's due, DDD has a point with Claris. This freakishly wierd image crops up first if you search Claris :shock: There are some wierd people in the world to create these......

Faster than a tent.......

DrLex

Postby DrLex » Thu Feb 28, 2013 20:37 pm

Claris makes me recall Mac software from decades ago - and today just sounds like a word that's been checked against hundreds of languages to ensure that it doesn't translate as w@nker. At least Tiagra conjures up (for me at least) images of large cats. Did Ford's naming of some of their cars after top shelf magazines boost or hinder sales?

DonDaddyD wrote:[...]
We all know Campags Athena should have been ZEUS or Hades or Ares. [...]

Reminds me of

Applespider

Postby Applespider » Thu Feb 28, 2013 21:48 pm

DrLex wrote:Claris makes me recall Mac software from decades ago

Yes - wasn't Claris the dog-cow from the printing dialogue?

DrLex

Postby DrLex » Thu Feb 28, 2013 22:11 pm

Applespider wrote:
DrLex wrote:Claris makes me recall Mac software from decades ago

Yes - wasn't Claris the dog-cow from the printing dialogue?

<geek mode>No, that was clarus- SFX:moof! Claris was the spin-off company from Apple that produced ClarisWorks (formerly AppleWorks), and became FileMaker. Defunct for 15 years now.</geek mode>

Return to “Commuting Chat”