What really happened to Robert Millar?

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
Mr Goo

What really happened to Robert Millar?

Postby Mr Goo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 21:12 pm

I was visiting a client in Dorset today, who had acquired an ex race bike from one of Robert Millar's old teams. This then prompted the conversation as to what happened to him? My client said he had heard that he lived locally and is now called Roberta!!! To which I replied that I had heard this rumour. And am sure that it was on Radar couple of years back. Is the rumour really true? Does anyone know for sure?
BTW the bike was a Peugeot (Vitus) and possibly was that of Jacques Bossis. Fantastic looking frame.
I am not Gently Benevolent

ordain

Re: What really happened to Robert Millar?

Postby ordain » Thu Feb 28, 2013 21:48 pm

He's still using the name Robert Millar on his blog: http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Thu Feb 28, 2013 21:52 pm

We are fortunate to have him post on this forum from time to time and he writes incisively during the racing season.

Is there any need to know more than that?

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Thu Feb 28, 2013 22:13 pm

The truth is that he won some bicycle races, a lot of people loved watching him and then he retired.
"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 22:20 pm

Seem to recall someone saying that he lived in Daventry & was still riding his bike but that might have been a long time ago.

Either way he was & still is a hero to me watching on our little TV as he flew up mountains..... you get the idea.

I don't care or want to know what he is doing now as if he chooses to live his life privately then lets live with his wishes & remember what we can about how he used to ride.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Dolan Driver

Postby Dolan Driver » Thu Feb 28, 2013 23:11 pm

I heard that Brian Smith is still in regular contact with Robert Millar. I guess Bob wants to stay firmly out of the limelight, which is our loss. He has a lot of good stuff to say on the sport as it is today. His occasional writings on cyclingnews always hit the nail on the head. Those two pieces he wrote on Lance and the U.C.I. are killer.

His diary in the early editions of Cycle Sport was some of the funniest stuff I've ever read on the sport. The Cycle Sport Robert Millar retirement special is one of my most coveted cycling magazines. Apparently, Phil Ligget wasn't a big fan of his so that's a reasonable seal of approval. He did a little commentating on Eurosport at one point and was pretty good. Robert Millar and Sean Kelly working together on Eurosport would be a bit of a commentating dream team. There'd probably be a bit of "dead air" but they'd call the race spot-on most of the time while taking the p!ss out of themselves and probably one or two others. It'd be hilarious.

Whatever he is up to these days, I hope he is happy. It's great to see he still has a keen interest in the sport and his writings will always be worth reading.

DD.

Salsiccia1

Postby Salsiccia1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 08:51 am

Danlikesbikes wrote:Seem to recall someone saying that he lived in Daventry & was still riding his bike but that might have been a long time ago.

Either way he was & still is a hero to me watching on our little TV as he flew up mountains..... you get the idea.

I don't care or want to know what he is doing now as if he chooses to live his life privately then lets live with his wishes & remember what we can about how he used to ride.

Sums it up perfectly for me.
Living the dream (provided your dream is spending 45 hours a week in flourescent-lit misery)

Mechanism

Postby Mechanism » Fri Mar 01, 2013 13:03 pm

I don't know if you've read In Search of Robert Millar by Richard Moore, but I was impressed by the amount of detailed research that went into that book.

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:39 am

Still writes occasionally.

When he does it's worth reading. Wish he did it more often, but then maybe it wouldn't always be so insightful.

I happened to pick up a rouleur copy a few years ago and he wrote a piece on climbing which was really very good.

Return to “Pro Race”