Carbon/Aluminum? Or something else?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Eaglehighcycling

Carbon/Aluminum? Or something else?

Postby Eaglehighcycling » Sun Mar 03, 2013 06:05 am

I'm looking at trying to get a set a racing wheels for use during college. I currently have a set of older reynolds stratus dv46 tubulars that are pretty light and aero, but have problems with braking. I don't particularly want a set of tubulars in college because I don't want to have to deal with gluing them/making sure they are always kept in a good environment (I'd prefer clinchers due to less hassle).
So, ideally I'd like to find a set of carbon/aluminum clinchers that weigh less than my training wheels, are around 50mm depth, and cost around $1200 at the most. Yes, I know that's too much to ask for.
I'm scared of carbon clinchers; I want to be able to take these wheels on rides that have intense climbs.

Should I go the route of the Mavic Cosmic Carbone sl? Heavy, but aero and stylish, or with some other type of wheel that is lighter, but not aero?
Thoughts?

Thanks

motdoc

Re: Carbon/Aluminum? Or something else?

Postby motdoc » Sun Mar 03, 2013 07:18 am

Fulcrum racing zero. I love em. Bomproof fairly light and you can use tubeless if you want!

silverpigeon

Re: Carbon/Aluminum? Or something else?

Postby silverpigeon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 08:42 am

Jesus! Times have changed since I was a student. $1200 on wheels? Think of all the marijuana you could buy for that!
Basso Astra
Principia Ellipse SX
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
Moots Rigormootis

Return to “Road Buying Advice”