Decision made but ... a couple of Canyon questions

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
uberkraaft

Decision made but ... a couple of Canyon questions

Postby uberkraaft » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Ok, I've settled on an SLX but could do with a bit of wisdom on a couple of issues.

Sizing - According to their system, they're putting me on a Small (53?) - I'm a bit worried by that?! I'm 5'10" with an 82.5cm inseam and 67cm reach. Anyone of a similar size got an SLX? What frame did you go for?

The wait - I'm considering buying from the outlet rather than waiting until week 22 or later. Is there much difference between the 2012 & the 2013? The 2013 is a little sexier to my eye but I'd be chuffed with either I think and I might get a slightly better spec with 2012?

Colour - I hadn't considered anything other than the stealth ... but I saw a video of a white one on YouTube and it looked stunning - how much better are they in the flesh? Is a painted frame easier to keep clean than raw carbon?

Di2 or DuraAce? - I'm leaning toward Di2 if I go 2013 (they don't seem to come up on the 2012) despite the big duplo thing at the front - reason for this is the cost of replacing DA parts! If I get 10 speed DA on a 2012, presumably I can use an Ultegra cassette? Also, Di2 on 2012 isn't concealed in the frame is it?

Phew. Apologies for the long post! Many thanks in advance :)

Matt

EKIMIKE

Re: Decision made but ... a couple of Canyon questions

Postby EKIMIKE » Sun Mar 03, 2013 13:41 pm

uberkraaft wrote:The wait - I'm considering buying from the outlet rather than waiting until week 22 or later. Is there much difference between the 2012 & the 2013? The 2013 is a little sexier to my eye but I'd be chuffed with either I think and I might get a slightly better spec with 2012?

The old frames are proven quality. The 2013 we can only assume will be equal if not better - they have a good track record of sensible, clever engineering that actually produces decent frames.

uberkraaft wrote:Colour - I hadn't considered anything other than the stealth ... but I saw a video of a white one on YouTube and it looked stunning - how much better are they in the flesh? Is a painted frame easier to keep clean than raw carbon?

The white ones have the '.com' decal plastered all over them. The black ones generally don't - it's a matter of taste. Whether white is easier to keep clean than matte black is moot.

uberkraaft wrote:Di2 or DuraAce? - I'm leaning toward Di2 if I go 2013 (they don't seem to come up on the 2012) despite the big duplo thing at the front - reason for this is the cost of replacing DA parts! If I get 10 speed DA on a 2012, presumably I can use an Ultegra cassette? Also, Di2 on 2012 isn't concealed in the frame is it?

Yeh I'm fairly sure the old frames are not Di2 compatible. Di2 is widely regarded as excellent though. If you can get it - do. Not sure about downward compatibility of DA 7900 - it used to be that you could go down to a 105 cassette if you wanted.

uberkraaft

Postby uberkraaft » Sun Mar 03, 2013 14:17 pm

EKIMIKE - Thanks for the response dude. I just read that the 2012 CF SLX is the 2013 CF ... not that it has any bearing! Yep, I see with the .com thing. Not nice. Looks like I'll have to exercise a deal of patience if I want this years Di2 version then :D

Mooro

Postby Mooro » Sun Mar 03, 2013 14:39 pm

Hey Matt, glad you made the decision!

My ten cents...

Doubt there is any real difference in the frames that you would notice. If I am honest the ride of my aluminium and carbon canyons is not that significant so the difference between two canyon carbon frames will be minimal on the road.

Personally i like the white finish, and gloss finish seems a bit easier to keep clean than the matt / raw carbon look but this is totally personal preference.

Di2 / Durace - i just have the normal dura ace and i think its great and cant really see the benefit of changing to Di2 and the potential complications but it quite a few who now have it swear they would never go back.

As for sizing, as you seem handy with a pencil and paper (an understatement based on your website) i would draw out the geometry of the frame you have now and then the new ones from canyon. I did mine on the pc but obviously the key bits are your contact points bum feet and hands, just need to keep an eye on the angles at the front that could change the feel of the steering. They are good at swapping over stems if you need a longer or shorter one.

There are a couple on ebay at the moment if you are interested?

Not sure if that helps...

M

giant man

Postby giant man » Sun Mar 03, 2013 16:12 pm

uberkraaft wrote:Ok, I've settled on an SLX but could do with a bit of wisdom on a couple of issues.

Sizing - According to their system, they're putting me on a Small (53?) - I'm a bit worried by that?! I'm 5'10" with an 82.5cm inseam and 67cm reach. Anyone of a similar size got an SLX? What frame did you go for?

Matt

The problem here is that canyon, in their infinite wisdom, changed the geometries for the 2013 SLX, so instead of them being available in 2cm increments, they are now available in small, medium, large etc. Not good imo, as they are going to fit a lot less people. Cost cutting exercise gone mad imo. So if you find someone 5'10" with an SLX, it's going to be the older model. A small on someone your height sounds wrong of course, and I don't always trust their geometry tool in their web site. You could always ring and ask for confirmation ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Sun Mar 03, 2013 16:57 pm

You can still find the geometry charts that will allow you to make an informed decision.

New Geometry (at bottom right of page): http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3126

Old Geometry (at bottom right again): http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3119

Charlie Potatoes

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Sun Mar 03, 2013 17:25 pm

Hi Matt,
I am 5' 11" and have ordered a medium. I cant remember what my leg measurement was but it will be longer than yours as my inside leg measurement is 80cms for a suit. Are you measuring from the floor right up to crotch?

FWIW I have ordered The DA9000 in stealth. I live near you so if you order the same it might be a bit awkward if we turn up at the same functions 8)

C.P
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

uberkraaft

Postby uberkraaft » Sun Mar 03, 2013 19:28 pm

Hey guys - thanks for the replies!

Mooro - thanks mate - yeah that's probably a good idea but to be honest I'm not sure about either of my current setups to compare with. One is a 53/Medium Boardman Road Comp from 2010 that I can't find the geometry for ... and my current bike, I've never quite got right! :D

Re Sizing - I had a search around the forums - It seems it's the inseam that really makes the difference. Someone posted with very similar measurements to me and they ordered a medium because they had fairly long reach. I think I'll probably go for a medium but I'll see if I can get any joy from customer services!

Hey Charlie - yeah, my inside leg is about 78cm - 82.5cm to floor. I'd better go for the Di2 then ... people will think our bikes are completely different because mine will be carrying a big black brick! :D

Charlie Potatoes

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Sun Mar 03, 2013 19:48 pm

uberkraaft wrote:Hey Charlie - yeah, my inside leg is about 78cm - 82.5cm to floor. I'd better go for the Di2 then ... people will think our bikes are completely different because mine will be carrying a big black brick! :D

Not as big a brick as the Campagnolo EPS verion :shock:
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

uberkraaft

Postby uberkraaft » Sun Mar 03, 2013 21:17 pm

Been measuring all sorts of my own bits & bobs and my bikes too. My best guess is that I need a 54/55cm frame ... the choice is 53 or 56cm?!

chigman

Postby chigman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 00:43 am

Hi

I have an slx on order and at first their size thingy came back recommending a small frame (53) for me. I then asked them again via email if they have this right, and they suddenly u-turned and said I needed a medium (56). No explanation, just that I need a 56. Strange.

I am 5'10" with an inseam of 82cm, a reach of 62cm - 64cm and 45cm across the shoulder.

I had a play with their pps system and by entering an inseam of 83cm, it took it upto a size medium (56), so I am right in-between sizes.

Steve
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
Cube Crossteam Hybrid

EKIMIKE

Postby EKIMIKE » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:42 am

uberkraaft wrote:Been measuring all sorts of my own bits & bobs and my bikes too. My best guess is that I need a 54/55cm frame ... the choice is 53 or 56cm?!

If you go for the smaller size you'll have less reach, more saddle-bar drop and might need a longer stem (by 1x10mm increment). Generally seen when people have long legs and a short torso and arms - see the Canyon in my sig.

If you go for the bigger size you'll have more reach, less saddle-bar drop and might need a shorter stem (by 1x10mm increment). Generally seen with normal people with normal proportions.

What describes you and your current set-up best? Pick that.

uberkraaft

Postby uberkraaft » Mon Mar 04, 2013 13:48 pm

Chigman - cheers dude - yeah, I read that on another post. On remeasurement, I'm closer to 5'9, same inseam as you (82) but how do you measure reach? My arm length is about 66cm, is that the same thing? If so, I guess my inseam & reach would put me on probably the same as you?! Anyway, I've mailed them - see what they say to me ;)

EKIMIKE - big thanks for that! I'm currently riding what I think is a 56 (standard geometry) http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12908583 - but you can see it probably looks too big & I have a bit of an issue where I have to keep pushing myself back on the saddle.

I have a compact geometry 53 Boardman that seems to 'fit' better - so I'm thinking maybe I should be plumping for the small rather than the medium. It's tricky cos I think my bottom half is probably on the small side but I'm more medium with my top half / reach ... :?

chigman

Postby chigman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 15:58 pm

Hi uberkraaft

Your reach-Hold pencil in the palm of your hand and clench fist. Find the edge of your shoulder bone and move your arm horizontally out in front of you. Now measure from the shoulder bone to the centre of the pencil, this will give you your reach measurement.

I re-checked my height too. 177cm (5'9 3/4"). my reach is slightly shorter than yours. It's a bit of a lottery all this and makes me nervous if I'm honest, especially when you hear that it's easier to make a small bike fit than it is the other way around. :roll:

Will be interesting to hear what they have to say to you. Please let us know.

Steve
Cube Crossteam Hybrid

letap73

Postby letap73 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 16:27 pm

Follow the fit exercise to give you an indication of frame size measuresment:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

I think the medium is closest to your measurements with a top tube of 549mm. You would also have less saddle to bar drop with the larger frame.

uberkraaft

Postby uberkraaft » Mon Mar 04, 2013 17:03 pm

Thanks letap73 - Yeah, I went through that yesterday but to be honest I still couldn't figure out what I was looking at?!

Chigman - yeah, it is a bit of a worry, but I guess we're lucky in that neither size will be particularly 'wrong'! :wink: I'll let you know when I hear back from Canyon - I think their system is down for a few days ...

chigman

Postby chigman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 17:20 pm

Ok cheers dood.

Steve
Cube Crossteam Hybrid

letap73

Postby letap73 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 17:25 pm

uberkraaft wrote:Image

Thanks letap73 - Yeah, I went through that yesterday but to be honest I still couldn't figure out what I was looking at?!

Chigman - yeah, it is a bit of a worry, but I guess we're lucky in that neither size will be particularly 'wrong'! :wink: I'll let you know when I hear back from Canyon - I think their system is down for a few days ...

Bloody hell! Your competitive fit measurements are suggesting a very long top tube - i think those measurements are not correct (you have quite a long trunk)!
If the fit on your current bike is okay what is the measurement of the:
1. centre of bb to top of saddle?
2. saddle tip to front edge of bars?

uberkraaft

Postby uberkraaft » Mon Mar 04, 2013 19:32 pm

letap73 - Thanks so much for looking at that - you prevented huge boob (so to speak)!! You are indeed correct - Mrs U and I managed to stuff up the measurement ... I believe she may have measured to the top of the spirit level! :D I thought it looked a bit haywire?!

Here's the accurate measurements - Image

What are the most critical numbers to compare with the Canyon geometry?

If it's still relevant my current bike (standard geometry) is

BB to top of seat is 705mm
Saddle to front of bars is 563mm
Top tube 550mm

But I suspect it's a little on the large size.

My other bike (Compact Boardman)

BB to top of seat is 725mm
Seat to bars is 540mm
TT is 540mm

Looks better & probably is a better fit.

Thanks again for your help!

Matt

letap73

Postby letap73 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 22:39 pm

The Medium Canyon from the link provided by Ekimike has an effective top tube of 549 mm v 555 mm for your Boardman v 558-562 mm from competitive cyclist.

The fit on your boardman is 540 mm from tip of saddle to inside edge of handlebar (check this) competitive cyclist recommends 541-547mm. The bb to saddle top on your boardman is 725 mm on competitive cyclist its 732-752 mm - raising your saddle by 5/6 mm will pretty much achieve the competitive cyclist fit on your Boardman.

I think the Small Canyon is too small for you - your trunk is fairly long and you would be scrunched up. The medium is more your size , however I think you may well need a stem of at least 110mm - different stem sizes on ebay are pretty cheap.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”