Winter/Summer decision time

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
ScottyXTUK

Winter/Summer decision time

Postby ScottyXTUK » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:06 pm

I was wondering, I guess many of you here have more than one bike and use one for winter and one for summer?

Also when do you decide that it's time to start using the summer bike? Do you just go by the weather or have a set month, say March? When do you stop riding our summer bike? (I generally stop in October).

I miss cycling in winter as I don't have a winter bike and riding in the dark worries me as it's many years since I tried it.

So over to you guys...and gals if there are any :wink:
Last edited by ScottyXTUK on Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

verylonglegs

Re: Winter/Summer decision time

Postby verylonglegs » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:09 pm

I look on them as 'wet' and 'dry' bikes rather than winter/summer. That's what decides which one I take out.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:12 pm

As above.

Dry day in January - dry bike.

Wet day in August - wet bike.

Simples! :-)
Yellow is the new Black.

declan1

Postby declan1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:16 pm

My dad just rides his bike (full carbon Giant with Ultegra 6700 etc) all the time. He cleans it almost perfectly after EVERY ride and it's still beautifully smooth. If you take care of them they'll last nearly as long as if you only did dry miles.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Bozman

Postby Bozman » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:34 pm

As soon as they stop putting salt on the roads, water's not the issue.

Bobbinogs

Postby Bobbinogs » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:43 pm

ScottyXTUK wrote:... When do you stop riding your summer bike? (I generally stop in October).

I miss cycling in winter as I don't have a winter bike and riding in the dark worries me as it's many years since I tried it.

In all seriousness, ride your bike. Fig to the winter. Bikes aren't made of cheese.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:48 pm

Bozman wrote:As soon as they stop putting salt on the roads, water's not the issue.

If it is dry the salt does not get flicked up onto the bike any where near as much (if at all).
Yellow is the new Black.

ScottyXTUK

Postby ScottyXTUK » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:57 pm

Bobbinogs wrote:
ScottyXTUK wrote:... When do you stop riding your summer bike? (I generally stop in October).

In all seriousness, ride your bike. Fig to the winter. Bikes aren't made of cheese.

I am buying a new bike in the next few weeks so it would have to ride that in the winter if I were to do that. I wouldn't want to risk ruining it with the weather as it's a carbon frame bike. I'm really not confident riding in the dark as it's been so long since i tried. The traffic in the dark bothers me.

Interesting that you use dry/wet bikes, might be that I will have to look at getting a second cheaper bike for the wet days.

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 22:21 pm

I have an entry level defy and a comfy carbon spesh roubaix comp which I purchased when my enthusiasm for the sport and my riding ability justified it. on the basis that carbon doesn't melt in the rain, I ride my roubaix all the time now. Had to use my defy over the weekend and I sure did notice the difference. Not nearly as good a ride, achy wrists from the jarring and a tad slower. So I don't have a winter or summer choice only good bike and slightly less good bike

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Mar 04, 2013 22:36 pm

smidsy wrote:
Bozman wrote:As soon as they stop putting salt on the roads, water's not the issue.

If it is dry the salt does not get flicked up onto the bike any where near as much (if at all).

Keep telling yourself that smidsy ;-)

Unless you dust your bike after every ride as soon as it gets wet all that salty powder that covers the rims and coats the inside of bits like your rear mech and brakes goes to work.

Up here on the East coast of Scotland we're due rain from Wed for at least 5 days. It's been dry for about 10 days and the roads have gone white. A good dose of rain should wash the cr4p away then it might be time put the good wheels on the training bike. Not sure when the best bike will come out but I hope it's soon.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

Flasher

Postby Flasher » Mon Mar 04, 2013 22:59 pm

verylonglegs wrote:I look on them as 'wet' and 'dry' bikes rather than winter/summer. That's what decides which one I take out.

This.

ernestovicencio

Postby ernestovicencio » Tue Mar 05, 2013 06:37 am

I own one bike, a Giant TCR. I ride it in the rain and in the blistering heat. Just dry it off bud. I would just buy a track bike if I was going to have a second bike.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 07:02 am

thegreatdivide wrote: Keep telling yourself that smidsy ;-)

Unless you dust your bike after every ride as soon as it gets wet all that salty powder that covers the rims and coats the inside of bits like your rear mech and brakes goes to work.

But the only time the dry bike gets wet is when it gets a clean so that seems to be irrelevant :?:
Yellow is the new Black.

themekon

Postby themekon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 08:27 am

I can't be doing with riding a decent lightweight bike in all that winter clobber. So unless I can wear three quarters or shorts and a nice road top with arm warmers and a gilet at the most, it's a winter bike for me.

chrispsmith83

Postby chrispsmith83 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 09:20 am

declan1 wrote:My dad just rides his bike (full carbon Giant with Ultegra 6700 etc) all the time. He cleans it almost perfectly after EVERY ride and it's still beautifully smooth. If you take care of them they'll last nearly as long as if you only did dry miles.

Same here, I didn't spend all that money on my machine to only use it the 3 sunny days of the year we get. Just get a wet rag round your bike after a wet ride and dry it off properly

Slowbike

Postby Slowbike » Tue Mar 05, 2013 09:24 am

Only difference between my bikes is that the "winter" or "wet" bike can have wider tyres and fixed mudguards. It's a CX so I also use it for family rides or riding trails - I just put suitable tyres on for the activity it's going to be doing ...
2 weeks ago it had 25mm slicks on for the commute ... now it's got 32mm CX's on for the trail ride we did over the weekend ...

If the bike is dirty at the end of the ride it gets washed off - just a hose down to get rid of all the crud ..

Only problem with the CX I've found is that one of the wheel bearings had brown sludge in, I guess it wasn't greased properly when built - it's only done 700 miles ...

As for riding at night - I was concerned about that at the beginning of winter. I went down to my LBS and bought a Cateye Nano Shot+ for the front and one of the Cateye rear lights to accompany my other 2 rear lights. I also bought some reflective strip and ensured I had a bright yellow jacket with reflectives on.
My commute is along a fairly quick A road for 7 miles, then I turn off onto lanes for the last 4 - so I need to ensure I can see (no street lighting) as well as be seen.
The NanoShot+ is excellent - most of the time used in 1/2 power - I can see where I'm going even down the dark lanes. Riding with 1/2 power meant that I could up the power for extra visibility - for both myself and other drivers - I had to do one ride back on full power as it was a bit murky - on coming drivers were dipping their headlights before they came around the corner... I may add one of those Cree lights for next winter!

3 rear lights are just in case one fails - one evening I lost one rear light (it fell off!) and another one failed to turn back on after I stopped at some shops - fortunately I had the 3rd!
The reflective strip adorns the rear mudguard - it's about 10" long ...
I've ridden all my commutes with the yellow jacket on since November - I use it during the day too.

But - the concern is really the traffic - well, it surprised me - they actually gave more room when it was dark than in the light - still get the odd plonker who must squeeze through, but overall I was given extra space ...
This is country riding though - not through town ...

FWIW, my advice for anyone wanting to ride in the dark is just to ensure you're appropriately lit and have suitable reflectives on both you and the bike. If you're riding lanes then extra light up front is preferable - not only for you to see, but for others to see you.

Slo Mo Jones

Postby Slo Mo Jones » Tue Mar 05, 2013 09:29 am

themekon wrote:I can't be doing with riding a decent lightweight bike in all that winter clobber.

You consider your winter bike to be a bit crap?

Why would you choose to ride a bike you don't consider decent?

keef66

Postby keef66 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 09:49 am

I have one bike. It's pretty light and with lively geometry, so I enjoy riding it whatever the weather and whatever I'm wearing. After a wet ride I'll wipe it down, and if it gets really mucky I'll wash it first. Most of the time it has full mudguards, but on those rare occasions when we get a spell of warm, dry weather, I'll take them off. (Feels somehow different, but I can't really explain it)

So my decision is really mudguards off yet? Usually it's the end of April-ish. Last year they never came off!

themekon

Postby themekon » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:42 am

Slo Mo Jones wrote:
themekon wrote:I can't be doing with riding a decent lightweight bike in all that winter clobber.

You consider your winter bike to be a bit crap?

Why would you choose to ride a bike you don't consider decent?

Not a crap winter bike at all, it's a very decent winter bike, just not a summer bike. It has wintry things on it like deep mudguards, heavy tires, fixed gear and a slightly different riding position to allow for the extra layers. I don't think now, short of winning the lottery I will ever be able to afford a nice new summer bike so I just want to look after the one I have.

dwanes

Postby dwanes » Tue Mar 05, 2013 15:39 pm

??? If you didn't go spending money on winter bikes, then in future you could afford a 'nice new summer bike' (that you can ride in winter also)

Not riding your nice bike for 6 months of the year just seems crazy to me.

Return to “Road General”