Muscle adaptation

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
cojones

Muscle adaptation

Postby cojones » Mon Mar 04, 2013 21:45 pm

Hi,

I've searched the forum and found related topics but no specific info regarding my query.

I understand that muscle adaptation from training brings improvements, in theory. I understand that the micro tears from strength training heal to provide stronger and more efficient muscles. My question is, if you do strength training AND speed endurance (I.e. on the bike) training in the same session, what sort of adaptation takes place? Strength, endurance or a bit of both?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Alex_Simmons/RST

Re: Muscle adaptation

Postby Alex_Simmons/RST » Tue Mar 05, 2013 05:50 am

The major adaptations from strength training are neural and muscle cross sectional area. The neural adaptations don't cross over to the bike very well, if at all.

The major adaptations from endurance training are on local enzyme systems and capillary density.

If you mean short range cycling power, then keep in mind that strength training doesn't affect the resting level of ATP or PCr concentration, nor the enzyme activity involved in anaerobic (or aerobic) energy production.

So, in essence what you will do is get better at doing both sessions on the same day, but would be better off concentrating on one or the other, depending on what it is you are seeking to improve.

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 21:02 pm

Does mitochondrial density not increase with endurance training?

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Tue Mar 05, 2013 23:33 pm

cojones wrote:what sort of adaptation takes place? Strength, endurance or a bit of both?

Thanks

Both

I do a few gym sessions and double up - though to be more effective it can be hard to really push in both sessions without overdoing it and risking an injury. Coming from a multisport background am used to doubling up training sessions as its the only way to get everything done, but the one rule I stick by is never to mix max sessions together as your just asking for trouble.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Alex_Simmons/RST

Postby Alex_Simmons/RST » Wed Mar 06, 2013 00:48 am

Herbsman wrote:Does mitochondrial density not increase with endurance training?

correct - that's part of the enzyme activity I'm referring too. But strength training results in mitochondrial dilution through hypertrophy.

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”