What's trashed my Mavic Ksyrium wheel?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Pumpkin Positive

What's trashed my Mavic Ksyrium wheel?

Postby Pumpkin Positive » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:33 am

On a club run a couple of weeks ago I heard the treaded 'twang' of a spoke breaking on my new(ish) Mavic Ksyrium Elite S rear wheel, followed 10 seconds later by a puncture.

It was a drive side spoke broken at the hub end.

Anyway I fixed the puncture while the group waited (having made sure the broken spoke wasn't coming through the rim tape) and limped on with a rubbing rear wheel, but another 100m and another puncture - this time a more dramatic 'explosive' puncture that took out the side wall.

When I got home (courtesy of my good wife) I removed and binned the tyre and tube but still couldn't see what it was that had caused the puncture - no spoke protruding through the rim tape.

Later while cleaning the wheel in preparation for taking in to LBS for spoke repair I noticed this...

It's a small dent that appears to have actually 'punctured' the rim. To me it looks like it's been made by something like a blade that's been brought down on the top surface of the rim with some force. I have no idea whether or not it's related to the broken spoke but it is only two spokes away from it. I'm not sure either whether the damage had been there for a while previously - it's not that easy to spot on dirty wheels.

I have no recollection of hitting anything either when the spoke popped or before it. I'm a big bloke and popping spokes is nothing new to me.

[list=]Does anyone have any idea as to what might have caused the rim damage?
Why caused my two punctures and why was the second one so dramatic?
Is my wheel trashed (my LBS mechanic thinks so)?
Who's the mythical Norse god of mischief - crossword Q I'm trying to get it without resorting to google :) [/list]

Thanks

nicklouse
Lives Here

Re: What's trashed my Mavic Ksyrium wheel?

Postby nicklouse » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:42 am

spoke damage.
rushed tube fitting.
depends on the other side but no.

Loki
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Pumpkin Positive

Postby Pumpkin Positive » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 pm

nicklouse wrote:spoke damage.

A spoke can do that?

Loki fits though - Ta!

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:21 pm

Looks like spoke damage to me.

Where did the spoke break, far enough down for it to move across the inside of the rim and make a cutting motion?
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Pumpkin Positive

Postby Pumpkin Positive » Wed Mar 06, 2013 13:07 pm

Danlikesbikes wrote:Looks like spoke damage to me.

Where did the spoke break, far enough down for it to move across the inside of the rim and make a cutting motion?

The spoke broke right up at the hub end and as far as I can tell couldn't have impacted with the rim. The nipple on the rim seems to prevent it from doing anything but more or less remaining in position (what I mean is the spoke can't bend down to meet the rim).

I'm happy to be proved wrong (and I have no other theories) but I can't see how a flimsy spoke can make such and impact on a rim. I also can't quite see how a spoke which is fixed in length and still attached to the rim at one end can be made to 'karate chop' the rim at an angle of 90 degrees...

Like I say, "I'm happy to be proved wrong" and there are others here with more experience than me - that's why I'm asking the question. I'm just puzzled!

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Wed Mar 06, 2013 13:10 pm

sorry I am not saying that the broken spoke caused the damage.

but it looks like spoke damage but as it is not bright it is not new.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Wed Mar 06, 2013 14:36 pm

If the rear wheel was rubbing, it might be that the rim did overheat and the tyre exploded, but it is a bit science fiction in fairness... most likely the tube was pinched.

As for the rim, it is difficult to say, but you obviously bought into the Mavic "whatever happens" policy, so you are on the safe side... :?

If not and warranty won't cover it, it will be a very expensive repair. If it's only a dent and far away from the rim holes, it might actually be perfectly safe to ride

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Wed Mar 06, 2013 15:27 pm

Pumpkin Positive wrote:
Danlikesbikes wrote:Looks like spoke damage to me.

The spoke broke right up at the hub end and as far as I can tell couldn't have impacted with the rim. The nipple on the rim seems to prevent it from doing anything but more or less remaining in position (what I mean is the spoke can't bend down to meet the rim).

I'm happy to be proved wrong (and I have no other theories) but I can't see how a flimsy spoke can make such and impact on a rim. I also can't quite see how a spoke which is fixed in length and still attached to the rim at one end can be made to 'karate chop' the rim at an angle of 90 degrees...

Like I say, "I'm happy to be proved wrong" and there are others here with more experience than me - that's why I'm asking the question. I'm just puzzled!

If it broke at the hub & was only a few over from the damage I guess if it was flexible enough and spinning at the time it could have impacted the rim? But it would need it to bend through 180 degrees so does sound a bit far fetched.

Was just wondering if it had snapped at the nipple end it could have swung out over the spokes and with scraped across the rim.

Just looking at the picture & it does look like 3 different impacts. One being the long cut & also 2 others that look like a flat head screw driver has been pushed down on the rim or the end of the broken spoke.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Return to “Workshop”