Weight loss

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
Rhod81

Weight loss

Postby Rhod81 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 15:33 pm

Hey all.

Through sensible eating and cycling, I have managed to drop from 107kg to 100kg In the two months after Christmas. However, whilst the initial 7kg seemed to drop off quite quickly and easily, I seem to have hit a bit of a plateaux.

I have been sticking with quite a good diet of a couple of bits of fruit for breakfast (mid morning) bit of pasta and some salad for dinner, banana for afternoon snack and a smaller portion of a normal family-type meal for tea. My only real vice really is I cannot give up sugar (1 teaspoon) in my cuppas - of which I have several a day. Oh, and a few bottles of Coors Light come the weekend....

I cycle to work every day as it is only 3 miles each way, which obviously I enjoy and gives me a bit of fresh air, but I am a little disappointed in my weight loss (or lack of) for the past few weeks. I kind of feel the only real reason for my weight loss is cutting the rubbish out of my diet.

I have read that your body uses stored glycogen for the first 30 minutes before moving onto the body's fat store for fuel. So I guess what I am wondering is, from a weight loss perspective, do I need to be cycling at least 30 minutes each ride before I start to burn fat?

Ideally, I want to get to about 90kg.

Cheers 8)

amaferanga

Re: Weight loss

Postby amaferanga » Sat Mar 09, 2013 15:54 pm

Your 6 mile commute probably burns only a couple of hundred calories.
More problems but still living....

Rhod81

Postby Rhod81 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 16:05 pm

Exactly, according to my average pace (18mph), height and weight I burn about 300 each way. So 600 a day, 3000 a week. Plus, whatever I do on the weekend I should easily be doing 3500 a week, which should account for 1lb.

So over a three week period I 'should' lose at least a kilo.

The fact I have barely even lost 100g is what's baffling me. Hence me wondering whether I am using only stored glycogen from say, my meal the night before, and not actually burning fat???

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Sat Mar 09, 2013 16:08 pm

Rhod81 wrote:Exactly, according to my average pace (18mph), height and weight I burn about 300 each way. So 600 a day, 3000 a week. Plus, whatever I do on the weekend I should easily be doing 3500 a week, which should account for 1lb.

So over a three week period I 'should' lose at least a kilo.

The fact I have barely even lost 100g is what's baffling me. Hence me wondering whether I am using only stored glycogen from say, my meal the night before, and not actually burning fat???

On a normal diet, you will have enough glycogen stored for around 2 hours of exercise. You burn fat and carbs in equal measure pretty much all of the time. You may burn slightly more fat at lower levels of intensity, but that doesn't necessarily imply that low level exercise is better for fat loss. Realistically, the best way to control weight is through diet, not cycling.

Rhod81

Postby Rhod81 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 16:15 pm

Thanks, so basically keep up the healthy eating and keep up on the cycling and over time hopefully it'll drop off? I've got the turbo trainer set up so I'll just start using that a bit more too...

dodgy

Postby dodgy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 16:19 pm

Rhod81 wrote:Exactly, according to my average pace (18mph), height and weight I burn about 300 each way.

I highly doubt those figures. Very roughly speaking, cycling at high intensity will use up in the region of 800 kcals per hour. Your commute is what, 10 minutes roughly?

Rhod81

Postby Rhod81 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 16:58 pm

According to this page (albeit the first one I quickly searched for) http://www.nutristrategy.com/fitness/cycling.htm it gives 1117 calories @ 205lbs. Or 5.45 calories per lb. So at 220lbs (100kg) that would be 1199 calories. So yes, a ten minute commute would only be 199.8 calories.

So admittedly, my first calculation of 3000 calories a week was slightly out. More like 2000.

Rhod81

Postby Rhod81 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 17:00 pm

I still feel at those rates, the loss of a kilo per 3 week period should be feasible.

amaferanga

Postby amaferanga » Sat Mar 09, 2013 17:05 pm

No way will you burn 200kCal on a 10min commute.

You're doing so little cycling that you can almost ignore it from a weight loss point of view and concentrate on your diet. If you want to use your commute for weight loss then extend it to at least an hour a few times a week (and don't assume you're burning 1200kCal/hour).
More problems but still living....

Rhod81

Postby Rhod81 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 17:09 pm

Right, thank you! That's what I was thinking, that the cycle from a weight loss point of view was pretty much irrelevant. I will have to do a little bit of Google maps research for I longer route I reckon!

JGSI

Postby JGSI » Sat Mar 09, 2013 17:17 pm

Log them foods and drinks..
Myfitnesspal
I was sceptical.. very.. but i gave in and logged in
it is almost a necessity for successful weight loss and control

team47b

Postby team47b » Sat Mar 09, 2013 17:44 pm

Portion size can make a lot of difference, I eat 30grams (un-cooked weight) of pasta for lunch, I am not trying to loose weight.

How much do you call "a bit of pasta"?
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Rhod81

Postby Rhod81 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 17:54 pm

Thanks JGSI. I will give that a look.

Team47b. It's a tough one that. I don't weigh my portions or anything. The best I can say really is that regards portion control I have about 2/3rds of what I used to have for my main evening meal, and for dinner (with my large portion of salad) I have about half of what I'd consider a "restaurant portion".

Vague, I know...

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Sat Mar 09, 2013 18:07 pm

I'd strongly suggest you revisit this 'cannot give up sugar' claim. If by that you mean, you tried tea without sugar once and it was disgusting, then I'd definitely give it another go.

I had two teaspoons of sugar in tea and coffee until my mid twenties, and decided to give it up - calories, teeth, you name it - and for about three days I didn't like tea or coffee. But then, my taste changed, and I started to quite like them both without sugar, and never looked back. Indeed tea in particular, actually tastes quite sweet now on its own with a little milk.

Funnily enough, after a month or two of giving up sugar, my OH at the time put a couple of spoons of sugar in a cup of tea, just for grins, and it was the most vile syrupy un-tea-like devil's brew I could imagine. It was literally all I could do not to spit it out.

Just give it up, man - don't do it by cutting down gradually - that's hundreds of calories a day you can lose without even trying.

I did the same with butter on bread, by the way, too. Never have butter on bread or toast now - can't stand the taste any more. Every little helps!!
Is the gorilla tired yet?

markos1963

Postby markos1963 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 19:20 pm

I managed to start losing weight by commuting but it only came about because I have an hours ride each way. Before my three or four rides a week wasn't enough to shift anything much. Now with ten one hour rides a week the weight has dropped off, roughly two stone and I haven't had to dramatically cut consumption of food. I do make sure I have plenty of good quality foods, fruit, fish etc but have cut out about half of my bread intake.
I would look to extend your commute to get your time in the saddle up.

Charlie Potatoes

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Sat Mar 09, 2013 19:38 pm

Rhod81 wrote: I seem to have hit a bit of a plateau.

IME this is normal. A few weeks of losing weight then plateau followed by a few weeks of losing weight then plateau followed by etc. etc.

I would stick with it. Cycle more and replace some fat with protein. Worked for me I lost 22kgs last year.

Now eating loads just to maintain my current weight 8)
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

wavefront

Postby wavefront » Sat Mar 09, 2013 19:43 pm

I'd agree with all the replies above - if you're not cycling that much it has to be diet controlled, really looking at what you're eating and portion size. It still amazes me how many calories are in some foods that you think have next to nothing. I was shocked a few weeks ago when I had to go with a client to McDonald's whilst away on business (still cant believe we had to, as I hate the place) and saw that their big mac was 510kcals, chips were 475kcals, and along with a drink that would be close to half the recommended intake for a women. In one sitting. Which probably doesn't fill you up.

Cut out the sugar, watch your portion size, and if you can, cycle a lot lot more. I would argue that you'd burn more like 600cals in an hour, with your commute only being 10 mins, your only burning 120cals a day. That's 1/4 of a big mac.

Good luck!

wavefront

Postby wavefront » Sat Mar 09, 2013 19:52 pm

<cough>

..... Think I need to go back to maths class. I meant 200cals obviously. Just ignore me ;)

team47b

Postby team47b » Sat Mar 09, 2013 19:59 pm

Rhod81 wrote:Thanks JGSI. I will give that a look.

Team47b. It's a tough one that. I don't weigh my portions or anything. The best I can say really is that regards portion control I have about 2/3rds of what I used to have for my main evening meal, and for dinner (with my large portion of salad) I have about half of what I'd consider a "restaurant portion".

Vague, I know...

Well, weigh it next time you have pasta then you won't need to be vague :roll:
my isetta is a 300cc bike

dodgy

Postby dodgy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 20:18 pm

wavefront wrote:<cough>

..... Think I need to go back to maths class. I meant 200cals obviously. Just ignore me ;)

10 minute commute, in which case that would be 1200 kcals per hour. No way.

Probably more like 120kcals.

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”