Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Show off your bikes here...
miker
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 15:30 pm
Contact:

Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby miker » Mon Mar 11, 2013 19:18 pm

Bought this late last year and love it, it's a great all round bike.
Image
Made a couple of upgrades, changed the saddle to a Prologo scratch ti, put black bar tape on and just bought these..
Image
Image

dwanes
Posts: 864
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 19:46 pm

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby dwanes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 20:04 pm

Nice bike, Would love to see a pic with the Enve wheels on please, they look the dogs...

Even though it is a great frame, one thing that I don't get is the cut-out in the seat tube toward the bottom bracket. It looks like the back wheel should be tighter up against it, but there is a Massive gap, I dont see why Giant has the cut-out on this model. On the TCR the back wheel tucks nicely into the cut-out with very little gap and looks much better.

User avatar
ALIHISGREAT
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 15:43 pm

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Tue Mar 12, 2013 00:18 am

Looks good -> bars look like they're at a funny angle.. and I hope you didn't put a dork disk on the new wells.


dwanes wrote:Nice bike, Would love to see a pic with the Enve wheels on please, they look the dogs...

Even though it is a great frame, one thing that I don't get is the cut-out in the seat tube toward the bottom bracket. It looks like the back wheel should be tighter up against it, but there is a Massive gap, I dont see why Giant has the cut-out on this model. On the TCR the back wheel tucks nicely into the cut-out with very little gap and looks much better.


maybe that section of tubing is common between the two models?

User avatar
elderone
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 21:01 pm

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby elderone » Tue Mar 12, 2013 16:39 pm

very nice,plus one on seeing pic with the new wheels on.
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

miker
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 15:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby miker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 22:20 pm

Image

TakeTurns
Posts: 998
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby TakeTurns » Tue Mar 12, 2013 23:29 pm

TBF, the Defy is a decent bike, but the Enve wheelset is an overkill for me since they're essentially worth more than the bike. Okay, it's not as bad as putting them on a Carrera TDF, but you get my point.

Bars do need rotating btw, must be odd climbing out the saddle with them like that

Gonna update on how the transition felt from the old wheels to the new ones?

miker
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 15:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby miker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 23:42 pm

It's an advanced 2 so was 2.5k, I would never have got the wheels at full price and I got them for a bargain, I was looking at getting some new wheels for it, kings on ZTR rims, and these were only £150 more so was well worth it for an epic set of wheels IMHO

User avatar
The Fuggler
Posts: 1211
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 13:52 pm

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby The Fuggler » Wed Mar 13, 2013 13:08 pm

Nice - but I'm biased - have the same bike and love it.
FCN 3 / 4

miker
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 15:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby miker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 23:08 pm

So this morning I popped in to AW cycles in Reading who did my original sizing before I bought the bike, I wanted to get it set up exactly for me, so with a bit of tweaking it seems to have made a big difference. Well worth the small outlay, I highly recommend it, and Chris there is a top bloke who really knows his stuff. I went it to look at getting new bats and stem, and it turns out what's already fitted is pretty damn light and I was advised to wait and maybe upgrade to carbon in the future, always handy when your LBS advises against spending money!
Back to the wheels, I did 30 miles this afternoon and it is noticeably faster accelerating and once you are up at speed it really holds it well, the first 10 miles I managed a 20.7 mph average and it wasn't totally flat. Overall I am very very happy with the wheels and can't wait to get some more miles in.

User avatar
The Fuggler
Posts: 1211
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 13:52 pm

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby The Fuggler » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:30 am

miker wrote:So this morning I popped in to AW cycles in Reading who did my original sizing before I bought the bike, I wanted to get it set up exactly for me, so with a bit of tweaking it seems to have made a big difference. Well worth the small outlay, I highly recommend it, and Chris there is a top bloke who really knows his stuff. I went it to look at getting new bats and stem, and it turns out what's already fitted is pretty damn light and I was advised to wait and maybe upgrade to carbon in the future, always handy when your LBS advises against spending money!
Back to the wheels, I did 30 miles this afternoon and it is noticeably faster accelerating and once you are up at speed it really holds it well, the first 10 miles I managed a 20.7 mph average and it wasn't totally flat. Overall I am very very happy with the wheels and can't wait to get some more miles in.


Good to hear about AW - my experience with them has been hit and miss, but I could do with a service for my Giant, so I'll probably take it in.
FCN 3 / 4

miker
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 15:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby miker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 21:21 pm

Oops, popped into AW cycles in Reading again to chat to Chris about saddles, I currently have a Prologo scratch Ti but wasn't getting on with it. I obviously don't want to keep buying saddles but it turns out they have demo saddles of all the Fizik, Prologo and Selle Italia....

Soooo I ended up with the Fizik Kurve Snake to borrow for a week or so, first impressions on a quick 15 miler were its really comfortable and a nice place to be, will see how it goes on a few longer rides....
Only issue is its £189.99!!!!
Image

miker
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 15:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby miker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 21:41 pm

Image

User avatar
ednino
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 pm

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby ednino » Thu Apr 11, 2013 07:56 am

sexy wheelset :P

Vandiesel
Posts: 468
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 15:16 pm

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby Vandiesel » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:24 pm

That does look sweet mate..
Giant TCR Composite 3

snowley
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 13:51 pm

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby snowley » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:54 pm

Sexual. Love these.

Is it quite a comfortable frame on long rides or do you find yourself uncomfortable after 50-60 odd miles?

miker
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 15:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby miker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 14:42 pm

snowley wrote:Sexual. Love these.

Is it quite a comfortable frame on long rides or do you find yourself uncomfortable after 50-60 odd miles?

It's very comfortable, the reason I went for this over the TCR is that it's a bit more relaxed, I've literally just got back from. 30 miler no probs and regularly do 60-70 on it without any issues, got my first century next Saturday so will report back after that!

User avatar
The Fuggler
Posts: 1211
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 13:52 pm

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby The Fuggler » Thu Apr 11, 2013 15:16 pm

snowley wrote:Sexual. Love these.

Is it quite a comfortable frame on long rides or do you find yourself uncomfortable after 50-60 odd miles?


Completed the Land's End 100 on mine last year with no issues at all. Just munched the miles and the hills. Was really noticeable towards the end of the ride that I was by far the most comfortable of our trio.
FCN 3 / 4

User avatar
Canny lad
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 00:07 am

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby Canny lad » Thu Apr 11, 2013 19:05 pm

Those wheels are the dog's b0ll0cks.

Nice bike too :D

James Q
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 20:06 pm

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby James Q » Thu Apr 11, 2013 19:06 pm

Really liking this, and those wheels look so right on it! Did you decide on the new saddle yet?

miker
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 15:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Giant Defy Advanced 2 + Upgrades!

Postby miker » Thu Apr 11, 2013 19:39 pm

Thanks for the nice comments guys, I did 15 miles yesterday and 30 mies today on the Kurve Snake, I'm not sure if its quite right, I felt a bit sore afterwards, not sure if that's because it's a new saddle or just not right for me, will pop in to AW tomorrow and see what else I can borrow for the weekend.


Return to “Your Road Bikes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests