Another TT Death

Talk about your races - Time Trials, Road Races or Cyclocross.
User avatar
NapoleonD
Posts: 18121
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 19:51 pm

Another TT Death

Postby NapoleonD » Fri Mar 29, 2013 21:26 pm

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.u ... z2OxyMwAx8

I'd never do a TT on a Dual Carriageway. Very sad to hear.
Last edited by NapoleonD on Sat Mar 30, 2013 13:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

User avatar
LegendLust
Posts: 1014
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:15 am
Contact:

Re: Another Dual Carriageway TT Death

Postby LegendLust » Fri Mar 29, 2013 22:51 pm

I was riding at the event, and as I was changing after my effort, the news came in at HQ. A great atmosphere suddenly turned.

From what I understand, it was a freak accident and a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. After a few deaths last year, I've started riding more and more SpoCo TTs - I'm wondering whether to ever venture on that course again.

Danlikesbikes
Posts: 3871
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 22:10 pm

Re: Another Dual Carriageway TT Death

Postby Danlikesbikes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 23:05 pm

Very sad news indeed.

IT does scare me the idea of doing a TT on a dual carriageway, just the higher average speed of cars. Guess you have to use your judgement though and knowledge of the course to consider if you feel more or less at threat than on a single carriageway road.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

User avatar
John.T
Posts: 3696
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 16:52 pm

Re: Another Dual Carriageway TT Death

Postby John.T » Fri Mar 29, 2013 23:44 pm

Danlikesbikes wrote:Very sad news indeed.
IT does scare me the idea of doing a TT on a dual carriageway, just the higher average speed of cars. Guess you have to use your judgement though and knowledge of the course to consider if you feel more or less at threat than on a single carriageway road.

It is indeed very sad news but I have ridden this course several times and have never found the traffic intimidating at the times we are on it. I have had more scares on SC courses as there is less room, sight lines are shorter etc.

Danlikesbikes
Posts: 3871
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 22:10 pm

Re: Another Dual Carriageway TT Death

Postby Danlikesbikes » Fri Mar 29, 2013 23:52 pm

John.T wrote:
Danlikesbikes wrote:Very sad news indeed.
IT does scare me the idea of doing a TT on a dual carriageway, just the higher average speed of cars. Guess you have to use your judgement though and knowledge of the course to consider if you feel more or less at threat than on a single carriageway road.

It is indeed very sad news but I have ridden this course several times and have never found the traffic intimidating at the times we are on it. I have had more scares on SC courses as there is less room, sight lines are shorter etc.


Not that I am ever in the area but its good to know that you have ridden it & felt safe. I have raced on 2 courses locally to me & one I will never do again as it just did not feel safe at all, whereas the other did and am quite happy on the course. Guess it all comes down to your own judgement & what/where you feel happy & safe riding.

Not that I am trying to hijack this thread as it is truly a saddening moment when a fellow cyclist passes away taking part in a sport they love.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

Tom Butcher
Posts: 7046
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 22:07 pm

Re: Another Dual Carriageway TT Death

Postby Tom Butcher » Sat Mar 30, 2013 09:20 am

I've ridden DC courses a few times and yes they can feel safe but the death toll proves that compared to other types of course they aren't. There's a link to a video of the road on some of the news websites reporting on the tragedy - it's pretty much a motorway.

I wouldn't ride a DC course again - decision made before this fatality - and after this I don't think I'd even want to help out marshalling one again. There is every chance we'll be talking about another fatality in similar circumstances later on in the season.
------------------------
it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

User avatar
Pokerface
Posts: 8477
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:26 am
Contact:

Re: Another Dual Carriageway TT Death

Postby Pokerface » Sat Mar 30, 2013 09:41 am

First and foremost, condolences to the family of CHRIS AUKER who was killed in this accident. RIP


Secondly, in terms of racing on dual carriageways – I do it myself and it scares the crap outta me. Usually once a year in search of that über-fast time. I don't feel it is safe particularly and personally would not a raise a fuss if these events were banned.

It comes down to the drivers more than anything - even with 2 lanes available to them (and light traffic conditions), many of them still insist on staying int he left lane and weaving around each cyclist instead of keeping to the right. We're talking about a maximum of 5 miles of road in each direction in most cases!

Would be nice to have permission to cone off the one lane for the duration of the event and hold them less often. But it will probably never happen.

This particular incident was a freak occurrence from what I understand though and less to do with it being a dual carriageway. Cyclist ran into the back of a broken-down vehicle I think.

No matter what happened, sad to see another deceased cyclist.

If you're racing today, keep your head up and watch where you're going. Play (and stay) safe out there.

User avatar
LegendLust
Posts: 1014
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:15 am
Contact:

Re: Another Dual Carriageway TT Death

Postby LegendLust » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:26 am

Pokerface wrote:First and foremost, condolences to the family of CHRIS AUKER who was killed in this accident. RIP


Secondly, in terms of racing on dual carriageways – I do it myself and it scares the crap outta me. Usually once a year in search of that über-fast time. I don't feel it is safe particularly and personally would not a raise a fuss if these events were banned.

It comes down to the drivers more than anything - even with 2 lanes available to them (and light traffic conditions), many of them still insist on staying int he left lane and weaving around each cyclist instead of keeping to the right. We're talking about a maximum of 5 miles of road in each direction in most cases!

Would be nice to have permission to cone off the one lane for the duration of the event and hold them less often. But it will probably never happen.

This particular incident was a freak occurrence from what I understand though and less to do with it being a dual carriageway. Cyclist ran into the back of a broken-down vehicle I think.

No matter what happened, sad to see another deceased cyclist.

If you're racing today, keep your head up and watch where you're going. Play (and stay) safe out there.


From what I gathered at the HQ, a caravan had a blow out which caused the car driver to lose control. Don't know if it then knocked Chris, or Chris ran into it. Either way, it was a freak occurance and just very bad timing. The scary thing for me is that I was 12-15 mins further up the course than Chris. It could have happened to me.

Neil Buckley
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 14:37 pm

Re: Another Dual Carriageway TT Death

Postby Neil Buckley » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:56 am

[quote="Pokerface"]First and foremost, condolences to the family of CHRIS AUKER who was killed in this accident. RIP


Secondly, in terms of racing on dual carriageways – I do it myself and it scares the crap outta me. Usually once a year in search of that über-fast time. I don't feel it is safe particularly and personally would not a raise a fuss if these events were banned.

It comes down to the drivers more than anything - even with 2 lanes available to them (and light traffic conditions), many of them still insist on staying int he left lane and weaving around each cyclist instead of keeping to the right. We're talking about a maximum of 5 miles of road in each direction in most cases!

Would be nice to have permission to cone off the one lane for the duration of the event and hold them less often. But it will probably never happen.

This particular incident was a freak occurrence from what I understand though and less to do with it being a dual carriageway. Cyclist ran into the back of a broken-down vehicle I think.

No matter what happened, sad to see another deceased cyclist.

If you're racing today, keep your head up and watch where you're going. Play (and stay) safe out there.[/quote]


A bloody good bit of advice people. The pros have closed roads, we don't. RIP Chris, sleep well fella.
Helmand Province is such a nice place.....

mallorcajeff
Posts: 1899
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 19:57 pm

Re: Another TT Death

Postby mallorcajeff » Sun Mar 31, 2013 16:57 pm

Very sad. There has been another three deaths here in mallorca in as many weeks. Last one two days ago was only 13 poor bugger. Again hit by a car.
That video clip on the news report, looking at the speed the cars are going on the opposite carriageway there is no way i would cycle on a road like that.
Stay safe out there people.
Very sad, wrong place at the wrong time it seems.

oldwelshman
Posts: 4619
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 14:19 pm

Re: Another Dual Carriageway TT Death

Postby oldwelshman » Sun Mar 31, 2013 17:20 pm

Pokerface wrote:First and foremost, condolences to the family of CHRIS AUKER who was killed in this accident. RIP


Secondly, in terms of racing on dual carriageways – I do it myself and it scares the crap outta me. Usually once a year in search of that über-fast time. I don't feel it is safe particularly and personally would not a raise a fuss if these events were banned.

It comes down to the drivers more than anything - even with 2 lanes available to them (and light traffic conditions), many of them still insist on staying int he left lane and weaving around each cyclist instead of keeping to the right. We're talking about a maximum of 5 miles of road in each direction in most cases!

Would be nice to have permission to cone off the one lane for the duration of the event and hold them less often. But it will probably never happen.

This particular incident was a freak occurrence from what I understand though and less to do with it being a dual carriageway. Cyclist ran into the back of a broken-down vehicle I think.

No matter what happened, sad to see another deceased cyclist.

If you're racing today, keep your head up and watch where you're going. Play (and stay) safe out there.

Why is there such a need to search for "uber" fast times. The times are meaningless it is how people compare to others in the event that counts. The way it is going they will be on closed circuits. Too dangerous on DC and the bikes used these days don't help. I have seen guys out on TT bikes, Disc or deep section wheels, bars etc, on club rides practising ! and cannot handle the bike, it does not take much to divert course, cross wind, lorry close etc. Very sad another loss of life.

okgo
Posts: 3707
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 14:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Another TT Death

Postby okgo » Sun Mar 31, 2013 22:59 pm

It doesn't look much like a motorway to me.

I've done a few tt's on our club course which is a dual carriageway and its fine. An accident can happen on any road if a driver or rider does something they shouldn't.

RIP
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

gavbarron
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 17:43 pm

Re: Another Dual Carriageway TT Death

Postby gavbarron » Mon Apr 01, 2013 03:28 am

oldwelshman wrote:Why is there such a need to search for "uber" fast times. The times are meaningless it is how people compare to others in the event that counts.

This ^
I can't understand a faster time being more important than my safety, and worse still I'd hate my own irresponsible choices to be the reason my wife and son got that knock at the door.

oldwelshman wrote: I have seen guys out on TT bikes, Disc or deep section wheels, bars etc, on club rides practising ! and cannot handle the bike

I am surprised the club even allow them out, most won't let you ride a TT bike on a club run

With regards to todays horrible occurrence, it is tragic and unfortunate, I just hope his family seek comfort in the knowledge it was quick and doing something he no doubt loved

themekon
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 09:34 am

Re: Another TT Death

Postby themekon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:17 pm

Does anyone really think that a so called uber fast time with assistance of fast moving traffic to tow them along is a reflection of their true ability?.
I've witnessed plenty of time trialists move out to catch the drag from a lorry, coach, or car towing caravan.
Single lane courses have their own risks it's true but I know what I would sooner risk.
Traffic counts seem to matter little these days.

gavbarron
Posts: 804
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 17:43 pm

Re: Another TT Death

Postby gavbarron » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:30 pm

themekon wrote:Does anyone really think that a so called uber fast time with assistance of fast moving traffic to tow them along is a reflection of their true ability?.
I've witnessed plenty of time trialists move out to catch the drag from a lorry, coach, or car towing caravan.


I've seen it a lot too. To me it's no different to drafting and as such is cheating but then they can't see that and so will carry on to do it. You're only racing yourself really so why hitch a ride, it's called the race of truth for a reason

Tom Butcher
Posts: 7046
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 22:07 pm

Re: Another TT Death

Postby Tom Butcher » Mon Apr 01, 2013 16:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IQEhiYigAk

That's the video of the road I saw - when you look at it like that I defy anyone to say they don't at least think that it might not be safe.

I've ridden the A1 and the A52 in TTs so I can't throw stones - the A52 certainly felt safe when I was on it (the A1 not so but it was in very high winds) - but I've also driven past time trials on the A52 lots of times and thought it looked dangerous.
------------------------

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

JackPozzi
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 13:53 pm

Re: Another TT Death

Postby JackPozzi » Sat Apr 06, 2013 07:02 am

Looks fairly quiet on the other side of the road, I would have no qualms about racing on that, obviously with the queues due to the traffic being diverted off the road it's impossible to comment on the side of the road where the incident happened. FWIW I've often ridden events on the E2(A11/A14) near Cambridge and during the race traffic has felt fairly light but the after I've finished I'll go back out on to the course to cheer on clubmates and standing at the side of the road traffic levels do seem much worse.

ianbar
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 07:43 am

Re: Another TT Death

Postby ianbar » Sat Apr 06, 2013 13:26 pm

there was another death in hull that same weekend! there is another dual carriageway they do tt on in the area and i wouldnt take part unless the road was properly coned off. its a shame as i had been thinking of giving tt's a go but has really put me off.
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

ozzzyosborn206
Posts: 1256
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 17:17 pm

Re: Another TT Death

Postby ozzzyosborn206 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 18:05 pm

RIP very sad to hear, personally I will never race a duel carriageway TT and I hate the way some of the older guys in my club encourage others to do them, some of them juniors and or new to cycling, when i drive on them the last thing i expect to see is a cyclist all it takes is a pot hole or a gust of wind causing the cyclist to swerve and thats it. I agree with the view that getting a fast time is pointless and means nothing, there are people over here who have been to fast courses and done 50minute 25mile TTs but then over here I can take a minute out of them on our course but only do a 54.

User avatar
John.T
Posts: 3696
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 16:52 pm

Re: Another TT Death

Postby John.T » Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:30 pm

when i drive on them the last thing i expect to see is a cyclist

Then it is time you learnt to be observant and take note of all roads that cyclists are entitled to use. Far too many drivers are like you. If you give cyclists the recommended 1.5 metres room there is no problem. And if you can't then it is not safe to pass.


Return to “Amateur Race”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests