Fixing a corrupted garmin file?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
paulmgreen

Fixing a corrupted garmin file?

Postby paulmgreen » Sat Mar 30, 2013 19:23 pm

I have ( for the first time ) seemingly got a corrupted garmin file....... it generates an error saying bad data?

I've read online about a fixing tool for PC, but I am on Mac at the moment .... does anyone know any Mac solutions - or be able to fix a corrupt file for me using a tool?

Would be very welcome if I could fix this particular file!!!

mike101

Re: Fixing a corrupted garmin file?

Postby mike101 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 19:46 pm

You can use an online XML validator to find the errors in the file. I've had this with Polar gpx files before.

jibberjim

Postby jibberjim » Sat Mar 30, 2013 19:57 pm

Not if it's a FIT file you can't Mike,

Paul - email it to jim.ley [at] gmail and I'll sort it if it's recoverable either way.
Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/

paulmgreen

Postby paulmgreen » Sat Mar 30, 2013 20:03 pm

Hi Jim.... many thanks for yoru kind offer

i've emailed you the file fingers crossed!

cheers

patrickf

Postby patrickf » Sat Mar 30, 2013 23:03 pm

You could try repairing your FIT file online http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/.

Worked for one of my corrupt files the other day.

ADIHEAD

Postby ADIHEAD » Mon Apr 01, 2013 20:31 pm

I successfully used Golden Cheetah a few weeks ago - http://goldencheetah.org/

Ricey155

Postby Ricey155 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 20:35 pm

I just import the file into endomondo and then export the file as tcx solved my issue yesterday

I assume your garmin shows up when plugged in ?

mwalters

Postby mwalters » Tue Apr 02, 2013 08:06 am

patrickf wrote:You could try repairing your FIT file online http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/.

Worked for one of my corrupt files the other day.

+1.

Just used this to fix the one corrupt file I had.

Mark

Ricey155

Postby Ricey155 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 21:37 pm

Good call for any LINUX users out there

I spoke to early, tonight i get bad data and nothing works really should change there name to GARBAGE from GARMIN

please just let me plug it in and view my stats :D
ADIHEAD wrote:I successfully used Golden Cheetah a few weeks ago - http://goldencheetah.org/

Bill Gates

Postby Bill Gates » Sun Apr 20, 2014 16:31 pm

Just a bump on this thread as the http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/ tip saved my data today and allowed me to get it uploaded to Garmin Connect.

My question is what caused the .fit file to get corrupted in the first place?
------

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."

SloppySchleckonds

Postby SloppySchleckonds » Sun Apr 20, 2014 16:37 pm

Bill Gates wrote:My question is what caused the .fit file to get corrupted in the first place?

Not pedalling hard enough.
I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

Bill Gates

Postby Bill Gates » Sun Apr 20, 2014 16:39 pm

lol
------

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."

duanecoker

Postby duanecoker » Mon May 26, 2014 11:39 am

Hi, I have a corrupted FIT file and, since I'm on a MAC, I can't download a fix tool. Unfortunately, it was from a once in a lifetime climb up the Passo di Stelvio. Any help would be appreciated! I tried to attach it to this post, but the site wouldn't let me. Thanks in advance for any help.

RDW

Postby RDW » Mon May 26, 2014 11:47 am

Did you try the http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/ site mentioned above? - you don't need to download a tool, just upload a file.

duanecoker

Postby duanecoker » Mon May 26, 2014 11:54 am

Yes, tried it, but then the file went from "bad data" to "truncated". I was able to upload it to TrainingPeaks via the TP Device Manager, but it just shows the distance and time, no map, power, HR, and so on. Might be stuck with that, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew anything I could do. Would have loved to see the map, data, etc. from this ride . . .

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Mon May 26, 2014 12:11 pm

duanecoker wrote:Yes, tried it, but then the file went from "bad data" to "truncated". I was able to upload it to TrainingPeaks via the TP Device Manager, but it just shows the distance and time, no map, power, HR, and so on. Might be stuck with that, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew anything I could do. Would have loved to see the map, data, etc. from this ride . . .

Open it in a text editor - my guess (and the experts will correct me if I'm wrong!) is that the repair tools will only fix syntax errors and the like; glitches that trip the software up when it tries to open the file. If the data isn't in the file as seen in a text editor, then I can't see that there is anything to fix. On the other hand, if there are thousands of data points, times, grid references, elevations etc in the file, then it will be fixable somehow.
Faster than a tent.......

duanecoker

Postby duanecoker » Mon May 26, 2014 12:19 pm

Yes, text file is huge, with all the data there, I just don't know how to fix it. I'm looking into that now, but the data is definitely there.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Mon May 26, 2014 12:54 pm

duanecoker wrote:Yes, text file is huge, with all the data there, I just don't know how to fix it. I'm looking into that now, but the data is definitely there.

I'd say then that you don't have anything to really worry about! I'm sure you'll get your Stelvio back somehow!

What you can try is take the header and footer info (ie everything before and after the lap info with the location info) from another file that does work and putting the contents of the corrupted file into that one (obviously minus the header and footer) with Textpad or similar. You might find that, depending on what sites you upload the info to and how they use the file data, that the summary stats are wrong but hopefully you can see your ride (and then worry about the detail later) and know that you haven't lost it. A few minutes work inc the odd bit of trial and error making sure you haven't missed a necessary line out.
Faster than a tent.......

patrickf

Postby patrickf » Mon May 26, 2014 20:06 pm

Have you tried feeding it through the GPSies converter http://gpsies.com/convert.do? Convert it to a GPX Track file.

You will lose some information if it works (HR, temp, etc), but if it gets you your route then it's probably worth it.

Also, I presume you've tried uploading the original FIT file to Strava? I've had a few instances where Garmin Connect wouldn't read an activity but Strava had no problem!

Pippi Langsamer

Postby Pippi Langsamer » Mon May 26, 2014 21:33 pm

Have you tried notgivingashit and relied upon your endorphins to gauge how bloody marvellous you were?

Return to “Road General”