Synapse v SuperX

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
simonj

Synapse v SuperX

Postby simonj » Tue Apr 02, 2013 13:10 pm

I'm thinking of getting a second road bike to compliment my SuperSix Evo, maybe something a bit more comfortable for longer rides rather than outright light weight. The SuperSix is great and not too uncomfortable, it's just I do sometimes get an stiff lower back after doing 40-50 miles or more and regularly have to sit bolt upright off the bars to lean back and stretch. Having something light is important to me, so I was initially thinking of going along the lines of a Synapse Hi-Mod Ultegra looking at the prices of what's available. Having had a look around the internet and thinking outside the box a little I did start to weigh up the option of instead going for a SuperX Hi-Mod Red for a simular price. I already have a Caadx, so could also sell that to help fund it and would end up with a wife friendly 2 flexible bikes rather than a frowned upon 3. Does anybody have any thoughts of weight and ride comfort between the SuperX and Synapse? Also does anyone have any thoughts on sizes. My SuperSix is 54cm and is great, I'm 5'10" and 31" leg. My Caadx is also 54cm and ok reach wise, but the top tube is a bit higher it doesn't feel too high. I haven't used the Caadx for rides longer than 25 miles so not sure how my back would be on it as I mostly use it for canal path and commute rides. The SuperX do a 52cm as opposed to the Caadx 51cm, would that be better than a 54cm on the reach, i.e. more relaxed and at the same time give me a more normal top tube height? Any thoughts greatly appreciated as I'm going round in circles weighing things up and do not have a local shop where I can try out the 2012 models.

ALIHISGREAT

Re: Synapse v SuperX

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 17:19 pm

So do you want a road bike or cross bike?

KentPhil

Postby KentPhil » Tue Apr 02, 2013 20:49 pm

I'm 5' 10" tall and recently got 51cm Caadx. I thought the 54cm frame was a bit too high on the standover and the front end was too high as well. The 51 was only 1cm less on the toptube so I went for the 51. The Cannondale sizing is a bit strange and the only comparable frames I could find were the Ridley CX ones.
1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed spec
2013 Cannondale Caadx
2004 Giant TCR

letap73

Postby letap73 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 07:26 am

The first thing is to see is if your CaadX is comfortable for you on extended rides - geometry wise, if it is and complements your supersix evo then you have saved yourself some money. The second thing, if the CaadX is unsuitable (geometry wise), then I would consider other bikes rather then just the Synapse and the SuperX. One of the main strengths for me with regards to the supersix evo is how comfortable it is, in fact having test rode a Synapse I found that there wasn't a big difference between the two in comfort, for me owning the current Synapse would be pointless. I would test ride other sportive orientated rides: Advanced Defy, Roubaix etc.

simonj

Postby simonj » Wed Apr 03, 2013 07:34 am

ALIHISGREAT wrote:So do you want a road bike or cross bike?

I guess this is the crux of it and kind of leads to my question, is the SuperX going to be a suitable bike for sportive type rides - is it say 85-90% of what a Synapse would give me whilst also giving me a versatile bike too that I can use in the winter and on canal paths? That way I can get rid of the CaadX and just have 2 bikes, or is the SuperX going to be no way suitable and I'm best off keeping the CaadX for winter and canal path and get a dedicated Sportive bike. Would a SuperX with good road tyres be/feel as responsive as the Synapse?

letap73

Postby letap73 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 07:40 am

simonj wrote:
ALIHISGREAT wrote:So do you want a road bike or cross bike?

I guess this is the crux of it and kind of leads to my question, is the SuperX going to be a suitable bike for sportive type rides - is it say 85-90% of what a Synapse would give me whilst also giving me a versatile bike too that I can use in the winter and on canal paths? That way I can get rid of the CaadX and just have 2 bikes, or is the SuperX going to be no way suitable and I'm best off keeping the CaadX for winter and canal path and get a dedicated Sportive bike. Would a SuperX with good road tyres be/feel as responsive as the Synapse?

Have you tried the CAADX with road tyres - this will partly answer your question. The main difference between the CAADX and the SuperX is the frame - aluminium v carbon, I would assume the SuperX would be the more comfortable of the two. I would also assume frame materials aside that they would have similar handling characteristics.

simonj

Postby simonj » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:34 pm

letap73 wrote:One of the main strengths for me with regards to the supersix evo is how comfortable it is, in fact having test rode a Synapse I found that there wasn't a big difference between the two in comfort, for me owning the current Synapse would be pointless. I would test ride other sportive orientated rides: Advanced Defy, Roubaix etc.

Thanks for this snipit, I guess I may have been listening to the marketing blurb a bit too much an it's interesting to hear you do not think there is much between the SuperSix and the Synapse. 8)

simonj

Postby simonj » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:36 pm

letap73 wrote:Have you tried the CAADX with road tyres - this will partly answer your question. The main difference between the CAADX and the SuperX is the frame - aluminium v carbon, I would assume the SuperX would be the more comfortable of the two. I would also assume frame materials aside that they would have similar handling characteristics.

No I will do this ASAP, although looking online it looks like the geometry between CaadX and SuperX is not the same, the SuperX looks to be bigger, so I guess that answers my sizing question on that.

FransJacques

Postby FransJacques » Wed Apr 03, 2013 19:01 pm

Ok, you defo need to read the thread re: riding impressions of a SuperX vs another carbon CX bike (Van Dessel). viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12910555&p=18207086#p18207086

I have a stiff CX race bike that I race in road races with Ultremo Zxs on it. CX bikes make great road bikes: the longer wheel-base lends a bit of stability and the rear-end of the frame is built a little softer to deal with rutted CX courses, meaning that on the road they're super cushy.

In the coming years there will be an increase in "gravel racing" or mixed-road sportives meaning that with some 28c Ultremos or 32c slick CX tyres (Grifo XS or Vittoria XN http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... itttyrf125) you have a bike that can tackle the Flanders or Roubaix sportives. Such tyres roll well on pavement and can handle mud, rocks and cobbles with ease - but they do not fit in any road frames with caliper brakes. This is the real benefit of CX bikes.

Size wise SuperXs are tall. The CaadX is slightly taller with a taller HT. Cannondale recommend a CX frame 2cm smaller than your road size, so if you have a 54cm Super Six or Synapse then a 52cm SuperX/CaadX is your size. But YMMV so do a test ride. I ride a 56cm Cervelo R3SL, a M/L Giant TCR Advanced and the 54 SuperX was perfectly my size - I ride a 79.5 BB to saddle top meansurement.

A SuperX with Red would be silly light too, and the TRP Eurox brakes are lighter than Dura-Ace, but not as powerful. They're simply not. The trade-off is the tyre size you can run. Basically, go for it, you won't regret it. Hope that helps.
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
---------------

simonj

Postby simonj » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Cheers guys, yes that did help. Pressed the button on the SuperX Red as seems a waste to have SuperSix & Synapse as not that much difference to each other. The SuperX can do 95% of what the Synapse could do and more. It arrived very quickly, stock it weighs 7.3kg (no pedals) so happy, I changed the wheels I had on my EVO (DA C24's + Conti GP4000s) and it weighs 6.76kg so very happy as this is exactly the same weight as my EVO Red with the same wheelset but with 310 gram pedals. So the SuperX Red is only 310 grams heavier than the EVO Red when they have the same road wheels on and it can take big tyres when I need it too. Not had a chance to ride it yet, but hopefully will one day this week or weekend.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”