Best way to get business sponsors for a charity event?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
litwardle

Best way to get business sponsors for a charity event?

Postby litwardle » Thu Apr 11, 2013 16:08 pm

So, we are doing Lejog next year for Epilepsy bereaved. (original thread here viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12909188&start=20&hilit=fat+lads)

A couple of us, me included work in the local media so with our contacts have the potential to make this quite a huge, well known event. After all we want to raise as much awareness about the charity, and and the condition particularly SUDEP (sudden unexpected death in epilepsy).

We do need a little help with kit and equipment though so we are trying to find a corporate sponsor(s) who would be willing to supply 3 touring bikes, spares and clothing. We have a support vehicle that will be travelling with us, which we will brand along with the clothing. Obviously they will be mentioned in any media activity and on our websites and blog with the added bonus that anything donated can be written off for tax which is always good!

Does anyone have experience in this area, I've made some phone calls and written emails but struggling to get any backing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Of course if you own a bike shop and can help then all the better :)
It's important to note that we WILL NOT benefit from anything donated as it will all be auctioned off after the ride with all the money going to the charity.

Thanks all!

Lee

P.S. You can donate by text! Just text the word "CHUB88" followed by your donation amount to 70070! eg chub88 £1 :)
Last edited by litwardle on Thu Apr 11, 2013 16:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy1265

Re: Best way to get business sponsors for a charity event?

Postby Roy1265 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 16:15 pm

Cheers Lee,
Looking forward to the ride and I hope we raise lots of cash for the charity.

Roy

amaferanga

Postby amaferanga » Thu Apr 11, 2013 16:41 pm

Shouldn't you be buying your own bikes and asking for donations towards the charity instead of expecting a donation of kit worth a few grand?
More problems but still living....

southdownswolf

Postby southdownswolf » Thu Apr 11, 2013 16:47 pm

How about approaching a hire company for a long term hire? I would imagine a google would come up with a few companies that hire bikes in Devon? You may get a good rate as it is for charity. But I doubt that you will get companies willing to donate that much gear in the current climate.
http://www.stuartmole.co.uk/

Roy1265

Postby Roy1265 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 08:18 am

amaferanga wrote:Shouldn't you be buying your own bikes and asking for donations towards the charity instead of expecting a donation of kit worth a few grand?

amaferanga,

Many fundraisers look to business sponsors to part fund their events, this is nothing new. The fact is that many businesses have a charity division which has the sole purpose of offering funds to assist in an event which itself will raise money for a great cause. Also, you will note that as Lee stated in his post, all equipment that is donated will itself be auctioned off at the end of the challenge and money from that auction will be put back in to the charity pot. So in a real way, any businesses who donate equipment are also donating to the charitable cause.

Roy

Carbonator

Postby Carbonator » Fri Apr 12, 2013 08:37 am

That makes some sense Roy but I did wonder why you do not have/use your own bikes in the first place?

What do you expect to get back for auctioned bikes? Cost new?
Not sure how these things work but would the depreciation not be money better given to your charity rather than giving someone a cheap bike?

Maybe you are more likely to get a £1000 bike donated by a company than £1000 cash though.

Cleat Eastwood

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Fri Apr 12, 2013 08:48 am

Planning Lejog without bikes would put me off if I was a sponsor.

My bro in law did a sponsored canoe thing last year - he got a localish canoe place which was on the route to lend him some canoes - which he had to give back obviously - but he was told there was a waiting list for groups waiting to 'borrow' the canoes - what I'm saying is you're probably not the only people planning a Lands end tour, and those ahead of you have probably got bike and kit sorted. Why not look at your route and see f there are any places that catch your eye, LBS's , halfords, that type of thing.
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Roy1265

Postby Roy1265 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 08:59 am

Carbonator:

Good question, and indeed, we might end up using our own bikes for the event. However, as we are complete novices at this, the bikes we are using for training may not necessarily be suitable for the main event. If we can get sponsors to help us out, then that basically means more actual money going to the end cause.

Cleat:

Borrowing bikes is also an option, and one that I will certainly look in to. Thanks for the advice

simonhead

Postby simonhead » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:39 am

Putting my brain into business gear:

To attract business sponsors you need to be able to offer the business a return on their investment. Your ride is not unique enough to gain substantial media coverage (sorry local paper doesnt count) for the sponsor. If you really want to attract sponsors you could do a few things
1 Celebrities, try and get a celebrity to ride each section with you - do the charity have any celebrity patrons?
2 Add a new twist to the ride, do it naked, do it at night, do it on tandems etc
3 Make your social media campaign first class, not just usual bland FB campaign etc, it really needs to tell a story about Why, What and Who.
4 Demonstrate where and how you will publicise a business. A local bike shop will not benefit from advertising at the other end of the country.
5 Be prepared for rejection or compromise. You may ask for a bike but end up with a bike bottle or nothing.

Let me know how you get on.
Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.

Chris Bass

Postby Chris Bass » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:48 am

how about you approach it by saying if they buy you the bikes you will auction them off/sell them on ebay or something and the money raised will also go to the charity.

And if my brain is working in cynical/evil genius mode maybe approach companies that need good PR at the moment? horse meat scandal companies looking to make good with the public or something similar!
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

jotko

Postby jotko » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:03 pm

simonhead wrote:Putting my brain into business gear:
2 Add a new twist to the ride, do it naked, do it at night, do it on tandems etc

Cycling from LE to JOG without any bikes is pretty unique.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:19 pm

jotko wrote:

Cycling from LE to JOG without any bikes is pretty unique.

I think you will find that is actually walking, not cycling. :D
Yellow is the new Black.

Carbonator

Postby Carbonator » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Would your local media connections not be the key to finding a local business that needs some cheap PR?

The cost of four budget bikes has got to be worth a tax deductible investment to someone.

They get spread in local papers/radio and you get roadworthy bikes.

I would have thought a bike shop would do a very good deal just to sell four bikes.
Maybe they would supply them at/near to cost price for the free publicity?

litwardle

Postby litwardle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:25 pm

amaferanga wrote:Shouldn't you be buying your own bikes and asking for donations towards the charity instead of expecting a donation of kit worth a few grand?

No, have another read of the first post, and you will answer your own question there I think :) There are about 6 of use doing the ride, with 3 of us without a bike suitable for this kind of riding. As I said in the first post, anything donated will be auctioned after the ride and the monies donated to the charity. We wont be benefiting any of it, aside from the fact that they are tools to complete the ride. Have a look at the website and you will see that we are not hardened tourers or roadies so don't all have the correct kit. The ride will cost us all a not inconsiderable amount to set up and take part in, let alone support vehicle hire, fuel, accommodation, food, kit for all weather...the list goes on...We will be paying for all this ourselves so any donations of kit to use for the event will make a big difference.

litwardle

Postby litwardle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:33 pm

To attract business sponsors you need to be able to offer the business a return on their investment. Your ride is not unique enough to gain substantial media coverage (sorry local paper doesnt count) for the sponsor. If you really want to attract sponsors you could do a few things
1 Celebrities, try and get a celebrity to ride each section with you - do the charity have any celebrity patrons?
3 Make your social media campaign first class, not just usual bland FB campaign etc, it really needs to tell a story about Why, What and Who.
4 Demonstrate where and how you will publicise a business. A local bike shop will not benefit from advertising at the other end of the country.
5 Be prepared for rejection or compromise. You may ask for a bike but end up with a bike bottle or nothing.

Let me know how you get on.

Nice one, thank you for your input. Very much appreciated and will be discussed at length!! Some great points. ROy and myself work in local radio so between us will have some contacts who could help with the celebrity side of things. As an aside, and in reply to some comments above, we are all happy to buy suitable bikes for the event, and all the rest that goes with it. It just means the more help we get, the bigger we can make it. That said maybe us all cycling up to scotland in jeans and tea shirts on full suss MTB's, hybrids and 80's road bikes might be just the niche we're looking for ha ha ha

litwardle

Postby litwardle » Tue Apr 16, 2013 16:34 pm

Chris Bass wrote:how about you approach it by saying if they buy you the bikes you will auction them off/sell them on ebay or something and the money raised will also go to the charity.

And if my brain is working in cynical/evil genius mode maybe approach companies that need good PR at the moment? horse meat scandal companies looking to make good with the public or something similar!

We have said that, a lot :D Thanks for your input though!! Good call on the horse meat thing :)

Woodywmb

Postby Woodywmb » Tue Apr 16, 2013 19:17 pm

I am a group editor of 17 regional newspapers. We asked Edinburgh Bicycle Cooperative for bikes and equipment for reporters doing a fundraising cycle (London-Paris). They were not cyclists, were totally unfit and required a lot of exercise to get in shape beforehand. We committed a page once a week (it was a small, daily paper) to cover their antics in print, roped in the provost (mayor) and all the town's personalities. Each page, over two months, carried the EBC logo. During the trip we published a fun daily, live (almost) diary of their struggle. Edinburgh Bike were great to deal with but the secret is that you have to guarantee the sponsor a certain amount of space, good positioning in the paper with a front page plug and work the promotion to ensure the business is enable to engage with the community. (Pics of local VIPs of all shapes on sizes on a bicycle etc). Best of luck. Don't know how it translates onto radio though!

Roy1265

Postby Roy1265 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:38 am

Woodywmb wrote:During the trip we published a fun daily, live (almost) diary of their struggle. Edinburgh Bike were great to deal with but the secret is that you have to guarantee the sponsor a certain amount of space, good positioning in the paper with a front page plug and work the promotion to ensure the business is enable to engage with the community. (Pics of local VIPs of all shapes on sizes on a bicycle etc). Best of luck. Don't know how it translates onto radio though!

Thanks for your well wishes and advice. It seems that we are embarking on a similar campaign to the one you ran, we hope that we can implement a similar approach to yours. Hopefully our radio/media connections will appeal to some businesses and allow us to offer them something in return for their support. We are hoping to involve local radio stations along the route too, so that we can broadcast progress reports. This gives us the opportunity to give our supporters some publicity along the way. Also we are in the process of setting up some media interviews in newspapers and magazines. So I think we will be well placed to give something back to our sponsors. :D

Great comments Woodywmb, thanks.

VTech

Postby VTech » Mon May 27, 2013 03:45 am

Hi, sent you a pm but didnt get a reply, just trying to confirm that the jacket arrived ok.
Living MY dream.

litwardle

Postby litwardle » Fri May 31, 2013 14:27 pm

Chubbs Cycle Challenge gratefully received the jacket this morning! I shall share some photos soon and let you know how to bid! Basically, it will go to the highest bidder!

Thank you so much to Vtech for donating :)

Return to “Road General”