Creaky octolink BB - or crankarm dead?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
coriordan

Creaky octolink BB - or crankarm dead?

Postby coriordan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:09 am

So my NDS crankarm has some play in it (forwards/backwards)

So if I am standing at lights, left leg back, it creaks as I bounce on the pedals. Then if I push off with the left leg again, it creaks and there is some 'give' or play where it creaks and then pushes forwards.

I have removed the BB and put some grease on it, but as it's a cartridge bearing, I cant really see how that would add anything.

My other thought is that it might be the crank arm - I presume the BB axle is made of steel, but the crank arms are made of alu. Steel is tougher, so once a small amount of play developed, then it has just got worse?

I have tried doing up the crankarm bolts as tight as I physically can, but that doesn't seem to have fixed it.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these parts and could advise? Not sure what the cheapest/cost effective solution is.

Thanks

Monty Dog

Re: Creaky octolink BB - or crankarm dead?

Postby Monty Dog » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:36 am

Can you see/detect any movement between the crank arm and the spindle? If not, then it's likely that the bearings in the BB are worn and you need to replace that. If the splines in the crank arm are worn/damaged, it'll need replacing.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

coriordan

Re: Creaky octolink BB - or crankarm dead?

Postby coriordan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:50 am

Thanks Monty. I guess the easiest way to describe it is that it feels like the crank arm octolink has worn down, so the BB can move inside the grooves.

I'll take some photos tonight and let me know what you think?

Return to “Workshop”