Nice bike glasses ?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
VTech

Nice bike glasses ?

Postby VTech » Tue Apr 23, 2013 14:59 pm

I was out for a ride on Sunday and took a fly in the eye which really knocked me about, although it wasn't painful as such, it irritated for a day and a half. I dont have any sunglasses for the bike so was looking at your thoughts ?
Living MY dream.

lostboysaint

Re: Nice bike glasses ?

Postby lostboysaint » Tue Apr 23, 2013 15:05 pm

Whichever fit the best on your face. Personally it's Oakley Radar Pitch for me.
Trail fun - Transition Bandit
Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur
Allround - Cotic Solaris

nochekmate

Postby nochekmate » Tue Apr 23, 2013 15:08 pm

My bike doesn't wear them even when the weather is good!

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Tue Apr 23, 2013 15:13 pm

Vtec lots of good brands out there but like riding a bike it should be down to fit.

Have an Oakley set myself as they fit well, good service from them & have the option to change lenses quite easily. However I do have a cheap £15 pair bought as an emergency back up whilst on an MTB holiday and when I'm wearing them they do the job really well.

Go try some one & see what you fancy, then use your company contacts to custom make you some sweet looking carbon frames?
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 15:18 pm

With your "contacts" you have to ask? Get your buddy to chuck you a pair FOC!

Sancho Panza

Postby Sancho Panza » Tue Apr 23, 2013 15:22 pm

unobtrusive, seriously light, excellent in low light (tunnels) and in bright conditions (Ventoux in July) - bendy soft lenses. I have the photochromic ones. Highly recommended.

http://www.zerorh.com/optical/en/sun/re ... safea.html

anthdci

Postby anthdci » Tue Apr 23, 2013 15:25 pm

I've got these
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-triple-lens-sunglasses/
handy that it comes with 3 lenses so you can switch to whichever is most appropriate for the conditions. Probably not the "nicest" but very functional.

xloly

Postby xloly » Tue Apr 23, 2013 15:35 pm

I bought some knock off Jawbones from Ebay - they are fine for the bike.
I used to use a really good pair but they got smashed up when I was stung on the face and hand by angry wasps...

LegendLust

Postby LegendLust » Tue Apr 23, 2013 15:41 pm

Whichever Oakley's fit you best.

I've had Rudy Projects and other brands but eventually paid extra for Oakleys and so glad I did. I have Radar's and they're so comfortable, the optics are great and my lenses have the coating that means water just runs off without smearing.

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Tue Apr 23, 2013 15:42 pm

xloly wrote:I bought some knock off Jawbones from Ebay - they are fine for the bike.
I used to use a really good pair but they got smashed up when I was stung on the face and hand by angry wasps...

Thats assuming that your knock off's can offer as good protection as the real thing though? Glad that you are OK though after your incident but I wouldn't trust a pair of cheap copies personally I'd rather get some cheap approved cycling eye wear if its a cost thing rather than possibly some none approved cheap copies.
Last edited by Danlikesbikes on Tue Apr 23, 2013 15:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 15:47 pm

Salice are great and much cheaper than Oakley.

http://www.salice.co.uk/product.php?style_id=006
Yellow is the new Black.

pkripper

Postby pkripper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 16:00 pm

Oakley's for me - given the lens quality and service back up, the price isn't really a problem. Unless you lose them.

gaddster

Postby gaddster » Tue Apr 23, 2013 16:48 pm

Some bolle safety glasses from eBay for about a fiver, do you really need to spend 100's on plastic?
ARTHUR
"Hello oh great one"
LARRY
"Are you talking to me or my ass?"

team47b

Postby team47b » Tue Apr 23, 2013 18:28 pm

Find the most expensive pair you can, then post pictures and price paid, then take the stick you know you are going to get as always :D

good starting point...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/b ... ing-34386/
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Carbonator

Postby Carbonator » Tue Apr 23, 2013 18:54 pm

You ride without glasses :shock:

I would also go Oakleys unless you see something that looks/fits you better.
I have Radar Path and they are an amazing fit (on me, IMO).

Would get something that can have clear lenses (completely clear, not light grey) so that they can be worn in any conditions.

Am sure DHB are much better now than the ones I had years ago, but beware. The ones I got were rated 9/10 by one of the mags but were super brittle and snapped very easily.

Bollé are pretty good too IMO.

vespario

Postby vespario » Tue Apr 23, 2013 19:26 pm

Oakley racing jacket for me. Can customise colours and come with 2 sets of lenses.
I went for all white in the end!

Inutero

Postby Inutero » Tue Apr 23, 2013 19:45 pm

Got http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-pro-triple-lens-sunglasses/ atm. As soon as i can convince the other half, i'll go after a pair of Oakleys :lol:

xloly

Postby xloly » Tue Apr 23, 2013 20:06 pm

Danlikesbikes wrote:
xloly wrote:I bought some knock off Jawbones from Ebay - they are fine for the bike.

Thats assuming that your knock off's can offer as good protection as the real thing though? Glad that you are OK though after your incident but I wouldn't trust a pair of cheap copies personally I'd rather get some cheap approved cycling eye wear if its a cost thing rather than possibly some none approved cheap copies.

Interesting, I used the copies tonight in the glorious weather and then tried real ones one after - the difference was very noticeable!

I have tried a couple of cheaper alternatives, the most recent being the Endura ones which I'd suggest Vtech avoid. They were pretty crap.

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Tue Apr 23, 2013 20:11 pm

xloly wrote:Interesting, I used the copies tonight in the glorious weather and then tried real ones one after - the difference was very noticeable!

I have tried a couple of cheaper alternatives, the most recent being the Endura ones which I'd suggest Vtech avoid. They were pretty crap.

I notice mine work brilliantly with the tinted lens and hardly change mine as they work excellently, which I am glad about after spending all of cash on them. However am perfectly happy with my cheap ones (which are not copies but a cheap pair but have safety certification) on the MTB in case of anything flying at the eyes as nearly had a spill a few years ago and lets just say it was a squeaky bum moment.

cougie

Postby cougie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 01:13 am

oakley Radar or M Frames. I don't like the jawbones - the frame at the bottom tends to block the air circulation and they mist in colder months.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”