Carbon Frame Involved in Road Accident

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
abentle1

Carbon Frame Involved in Road Accident

Postby abentle1 » Thu May 09, 2013 18:29 pm

Hi all, I got into cycling a couple of years ago, and recently invested some of my hard earned cash by upgrading my second hand Giant SCR3 to a carbon framed Specialized Tarmac. 3 weeks later and an old woman kindly took me out halfway round a roundabout - I woke up 30 mins later in an ambulance.
I'm still in one piece thankfully - but I'm wondering what peoples thoughts are regarding the bike? Two bike shops have officially written the bike off (as they tend to do), but interestingly they both unofficially quoted me for patching it back up (about £100 in each case). The bike did fare a lot better than I did in the accident, everything looks straight and true on the frame with no cloudy discoloration to hint at hidden damage. I'm considering patching it up, and maybe keeping on riding it, whilst checking for any signs of weakness after every ride. Is this stupid? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Did you continue riding the bike? Did you regret doing so? All thoughts and advice greatfully received. Many thanks. Andy. #stichedbatteredandbruised.

wishitwasallflat

Re: Carbon Frame Involved in Road Accident

Postby wishitwasallflat » Thu May 09, 2013 18:52 pm

If the accident was not your fault take it the bike is a write off and replace it with the insurance payment you will get.

sungod

Postby sungod » Thu May 09, 2013 19:30 pm

^^^this
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

racingcondor

Postby racingcondor » Fri May 10, 2013 12:44 pm

Agreed.

Why take the risk that you could have a catastrophic failure down the line if someone elses insurance can remove that possibility.

Captain Tiara

Postby Captain Tiara » Sat May 11, 2013 10:09 am

The thing that will always hurt alot is catastrophic mechanical failure. Just picture in your mind the worst thing that might happen.

Return to “Workshop”