Ultremo ZX tyres - issues??

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
marshy01uk

Ultremo ZX tyres - issues??

Postby marshy01uk » Tue May 14, 2013 22:14 pm

I now have had 2 sets of Ultremo's that have given me issues and keen to know if anyone else has experienced the same? Firstly threading of the sidewall and more recently splitting of the sidewall. The previous set also threaded but I had one tyre whose sidewall failed (bulged out), scary really since I'd been hitting 60+ kph downhill prior to noticing!
I'm loosely aware Schwalbe had an issue in the past with another tyre, believe it may have been the R1?
Await with interest....
Winter/Training: Trek 1.9
TT: Planet X Stealth Pro with extra carbon bling!
MTB: Trek Fuel EX6 + GIANT XTC 29er
Race: LOOK 595
Fixie: Dolan
http://www.bmycharity.com/AberfeldyMidd ... eTriathlon

Maillot

Re: Ultremo ZX tyres - issues??

Postby Maillot » Tue May 14, 2013 22:36 pm

Yep. The problem that prompted recalls was with R1s as far as I remember. I bought 2 pairs of Ultremo ZXs in a sale and they've been really disappointing. I put new ones on for a sportive, 120psi and got multiple punctures. I used the others and they developed defects after a 10 mile ride to work. I took them back to Evans to complain, and the bloke there told me that was what I should expect. I didn't agree, but he wouldn't replace or refund. I've now decided that I don't care how fast they are, they aren't worth having. I'm sticking to Continentals.

peddlingmadness

Postby peddlingmadness » Wed May 15, 2013 06:55 am

I'll second what Mailot said, and it was costing me more in inner tubes. When eventually the tire wall split, (just 4 months from new) I patched it up with a crisp packet to keep the inner tube in and get me home and when there I took the pair off and binned them. I'm now on conti 4000's and not had a puncture since putting them on. As regards to speed you really wouldn't notice the difference if anything the conti's feel faster or maybe its psychological as the fear of a blowout has gone.

Barrzy257

Postby Barrzy257 » Wed May 15, 2013 07:02 am

Dreadful tires, took my hours to remove the threads which got wrapped around the hub. They do fall apart on the sides, puncture resistance is non existent. They have been relegated to the turbo now! I've always tried to avoid conti's because everyone seems to use then, then a bought some GP4000 and GP4seasons, now I realise why there so popular!

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Wed May 15, 2013 07:04 am

A pair came with a wheelset I bought a wee while back. The rear sidewall split after three rides and one puncture!
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

Ride hard

Postby Ride hard » Wed May 15, 2013 07:11 am

Nothing here.

These tyres came standard on my bike and have done 2500+ miles since new with zero issues. I've only had four punctures (all in the wet due to the sticky rubber compound that picks up debris) which is good going considering I ride on nasty roads for my commute and weekend rides. They also have loads of tread which - according to reviews - is meant to disappear really quickly.

I've got the rigid ones, so I'm not sure if the problems you are experiencing are with the more commonly available foldables? Regardless, if you're having multiple issue with the tyres then drop Schwalbe a line. I had a similar issues with a fairly new KMC chain that gave up the ghost a few weeks back, so I dropped KMC a line just to ask a technical query and nothing else. They (actually the Managing Director himself) responded, were very apologetic, asked for some images and then sent me out a brand new chain. I can't praise them enough.
Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"

zebwach

Postby zebwach » Wed May 15, 2013 07:16 am

Iv just replaced the set that came with my Cube with more Ultremo's. I ran them until you could see the kevlar puncture resistant lining (or what ever it is made of!) and only ever had one puncture. All the stitching around the side wall came out ages ago, but it never had any adverse affect to the integrety of the tyre.

Saying that, I got a puncture 80 miles in to the Lincoln GP last Saturday so not a very good stats for the new set already!

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Wed May 15, 2013 07:48 am

My experience of Schwalbe tyres is not good. Had several sets and each one developed either threading or cracking of the side walls.

My experience of their customer service however is excellent - but that is probably becuase they have had plenty of experience with dealing with issues.

I now run Vittoria and Continental and have not had any such issues with either brand.

If you require an alternative to the Ultremo I would go Vittoria Corsa Evo CX. Still a flimsy race tyre but no such quality issues.
Yellow is the new Black.

team47b

Postby team47b » Wed May 15, 2013 07:51 am

Have them on two bikes, used them for over a year now, no p*nctures, no problems, still look good, never got to try them out in the wet though :roll:

Excessive weight/low pressure/rough roads should be avoided :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Shmo

Postby Shmo » Wed May 15, 2013 08:55 am

Are these issues the result of something that has changed or have they always been this way? I just bought some new ones to replace a pair that did epic mileage with no issues and the colours/design has changed but can't tell if there's any difference in the way they're built.

andi1363

Postby andi1363 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:02 am

These came with my Cube and loved the ride quality but they were very delicate. One replacement even bulged on its first ride. I went through 5 or 6 before deciding they were not for me. I only wore one out :(

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:35 am

I've been running tham since last summer and (touch wood) haven't had a single issue.

I was out at the weekend and the route took us down some weather beaten lanes and one which was covered in mud and gravel for about 50m, it was impossible to get through with out riding through the debris. I inspected the tyres when I got home and there were only one or two minor, shallow cuts. Nothing to cause concern.

They've been great tyres and I wouldn't hesitate to use them next time.

There were longevity issues a while back, but I believe that Schwalbe rectified the problems. They seem to have developed a bit of a reputation for not lasting, but I think that this is from the old ZX and R1 variants. The Latest ZX HD is great (and funnily enough regularly comes top in tyre tests)
There were also issues with the coloured versions splitting at the join betwen black and coloured rubber, but there's a simple solution to that; use the black tyres !
Last edited by MattC59 on Wed May 15, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 am

Ride hard wrote:Nothing here.

These tyres came standard on my bike and have done 2500+ miles since new with zero issues. I've only had four punctures (all in the wet due to the sticky rubber compound that picks up debris) which is good going considering I ride on nasty roads for my commute and weekend rides. They also have loads of tread which - according to reviews - is meant to disappear really quickly.

I've got the rigid ones, so I'm not sure if the problems you are experiencing are with the more commonly available foldables? Regardless, if you're having multiple issue with the tyres then drop Schwalbe a line. I had a similar issues with a fairly new KMC chain that gave up the ghost a few weeks back, so I dropped KMC a line just to ask a technical query and nothing else. They (actually the Managing Director himself) responded, were very apologetic, asked for some images and then sent me out a brand new chain. I can't praise them enough.

Are you sure that you're talking about the Ultremo ZX HD ? They're only available in a folding version and don't have any tread, they're slick.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.

Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

marshy01uk

Postby marshy01uk » Wed May 15, 2013 13:36 pm

Interesting views.....I will say the very first set I had (about 2 years ago) were great however the subsequent 2 sets have been dreadful. I wonder if they are all made in the one factory?? I reckon I will be contacting Schwalbe and with interest will await their reply...

dynamicbrick

Postby dynamicbrick » Wed May 15, 2013 14:41 pm

I had a set on the Cube, which was delivered on the 14th Jan. Fell apart within 40 miles - literally, the rear tube had come through the sidewall. Sidewalls splitting. I got some replacement Luganos from Leisure Lakes, which are much heavier, but seem to be standing up well.

The Ultremo from the front was relegated to trainer duties, whereupon it literally melted within 45 minutes at medium pressure on the roller. Tube was fine. Won't be using Schwalbe again - which is a shame, had some Marathon cut slicks on the MTB, and they lasted forever.

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Wed May 15, 2013 14:55 pm

3 sets, thousands of miles, no issues - great tyres IMHO :D
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

neeb

Postby neeb » Wed May 15, 2013 15:09 pm

No real problems with mine, although I did have one thread peeling off on the front (no more since). They seem very good for puncture resistance to me for a fast race tyre, far fewer punctures than I had with Michelin Pro3s and they don't seem to pick up as many micro-cuts. I just love the ride of them though, really fast. I use continentals on the wet weather bike as they are a little more sticky and robust, and while they have a nice cushy ride and feel pretty fast, the Ultremos feel faster.

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Wed May 15, 2013 16:44 pm

I have been running Ultremos for a while now. I had only had one puncture, which was from glass I saw too late. This was all riding in Germany. Nice clean clear roads with minimal but not completely clear of grit and debris. I recently came back to the UK for a weeks riding in Dorset. I went through 2 rear tyres in a week. First had a big chunk taken out of it and the second started to disintegrate along the centre. I came back to Germany, where I put a complete new set on my rims. Both only because I got plain black instead of red stripe that I had on before. After 3 weeks riding, not a scratch on them. They look good as new and rolling smooth as ever.

This made me come to one conclusion; BRITISH ROADS ARE SH1T!!!! Pure and simple. How can a set of tyres go nearly 4k with no problems only to be torn up in a week in England? Nuff said. Nothing wrong with Ultremo tyres. It is the roads that are the problem.

BrindleScoops

Postby BrindleScoops » Wed May 15, 2013 16:48 pm

I'm not exactly light at 16.5 Stone, but have done loads of miles on them and haven't had a sinle puncture or issue at 120 PSI, everyone in my club used to take the P as I was running them in Feb, so to keep my inner paranoia calm I fitted Coni Gatorskins and got a puncture first ride out, back to ZX's and nothing since?!?!?!?!? :shock:
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

marshy01uk

Postby marshy01uk » Wed May 15, 2013 17:18 pm

I agree that compared with other tyres experience with punctures are generally on a par although they do cut up a bit tho not as bad as Michelin Pro3's. it's the issue with the sidewalls, threading and/or splitting. Schwalbe website suggest returning with "proof of purchase" to original supplier and they will determine if there is a fault? Hmmm bike-discount.de could probably buy a new set at the cost of postage!

Return to “Road General”