Ordinary or light tubes

Sorting out your thrunge brackets, fettling your inter-rositers and even stuff about bike parts.
izumi

Ordinary or light tubes

Postby izumi » Tue May 21, 2013 21:25 pm

How does a tube weight affect the sturdiness of a tyre? I have Schwalbe Smart Sam 2.25 tyres with light Impac AV14 tubes (about 120g each). Is there any sense in installing ordinary tubes instead (about 200g each) or will I just increase the weight of my bike?

nicklouse
Lives Here

Re: Ordinary or light tubes

Postby nicklouse » Tue May 21, 2013 21:27 pm

does nothing to the tyre.

why would you want to change?
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

izumi

Postby izumi » Tue May 21, 2013 22:31 pm

Thanks for clarifying that. I got a puncture a week ago, I thought that maybe thickier tubes can make tyres more resistant to punctures.

By the way, I have a related question. How long can I keep a tyre with a small puncture from a sharp stone? Will this puncture get bigger with the passage of time?

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Tue May 21, 2013 23:20 pm

Depends how big and where.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

nicklouse
Lives Here

Postby nicklouse » Tue May 21, 2013 23:28 pm

izumi wrote:Thanks for clarifying that. I got a puncture a week ago, I thought that maybe thickier tubes can make tyres more resistant to punctures.

By the way, I have a related question. How long can I keep a tyre with a small puncture from a sharp stone? Will this puncture get bigger with the passage of time?

A hole in th tyre has little relevance to anything. It is the tube that holds the air in.

And maybe.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."

Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Thelonegroover

Postby Thelonegroover » Wed May 22, 2013 06:53 am

In my experience, a thorn or nail can go through a normal tube very easily. So fitting lighter tubes should make no difference. Pinch flats may be different but since I’ve never had one I can’t say. I’m actually planning to install extra light tubes which save almost 100g per wheel and also install sealant, which will add up to 50g per wheel. Result is a lighter wheel with puncture prevention.
Genesis Core 30 green - the naughties
Giant Trance X2 - the teens
Genesis High Latitude 2x10 - the future (Until 650b came along!)

izumi

Postby izumi » Fri May 24, 2013 11:09 am

Thelonegroover wrote:In my experience, a thorn or nail can go through a normal tube very easily. So fitting lighter tubes should make no difference.

Ok, thanks!

Return to “MTB Workshop & Tech”