X-box One vs PS4

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
DonDaddyD

X-box One vs PS4

Postby DonDaddyD » Wed May 22, 2013 11:46 am

Techradar: Xbox One / PS4 - which is better?

If you're a gamer you will understand the significance that comes with the release of Microsoft's 8th Generation console.

If you're not a gamer, but a parent with children of the gaming age you'll understand the significance.

Everyone else, you should understand the significance.

The huge costs to develop the 7th generation consoles (Xbox 360 and PS3) meant that that generation lasted nearly 10 years. During this time technology moved on, the internet grew up, the target audience evolved and the computer game industry began losing money.

Emulators, the resurgent PC, MMO and Online gaming, mobile phone games, kickstarters (to name a few) have all emerged to seriously challenge the viability of owning a console - hell Angry Birds eats up more gaming time than some premium console games and costs a fraction of the price.

Game developers (EA, Capcom, Bioware, Blizzard) have become money focused and tactically aggressive with how they sell their products; day 1 DLC (this basically means you buy the game on the day of release, play it for the first time and find downloadable content available for purcahse - meaning they developed that content alongside the game but withheld it so that you can pay extra to own it), DLCs in general, Online Passes, DRM (digital rights management - games companies attempting to retain ownership of an individuals ingame content i.e. your save game data - implementation is usually that your save game is stored on the developers server and not your PC/console).

Game developers have also been demanding more from consoles in terms of hardware, ease of developing games across platforms and content ownership rights.

Then there is the whole integration of the console as a media device - Xbox, for example, offer netflix, Sky and movies via the Xbox. You have to pay for Xbox live to pay for these services (or in my case pay for these services - except sky - via my Smart TV because I already pay for an internet connection).

Basically, there is a fork in the road. Some developers want to do as much as possible to maximise profit at the expense of the demographic. Others want to be more purest and develop games for the enjoyment of gaming - if you think cyclists are kicking off about Emma Way, dip your toe onto a gaming website or watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ekOtn7L1N0

So here it is:

Play Station 4, I didn't really keep an eye on this. I'm an Xbox man. I knew it wasn't backwards compatibile and talk of Sony banning patenting the software that bans used games had me running scared. However, what it appears we have is a console that, while isn't backwards compatible - which is a rip off, has gaming at the heart of its design.

Xbox One, is arguably the greatest example of sticking an unwanted object up your most interested audiences butt.

Not backwards compatible.
Used games can only be played once a fee has been payed. (I honestly cannot believe the arrogance of this).
Voice and motion controlled media device for your TV - which duplicates many features you're likely to have if you own a smart TV, Sky or a PC. Only with this you'd probably have to pay twice by paying for Xbox live.
Many sports related features - most of which are completely outside the interests of the gamer demographic.

So, me? I didn't own a PS3 but I did own a PS2 and it looks like I'm going back to Play Station. However, it is going to be interesting to see how the gaming industry goes forward. One avenue is about reinvention (X-box One) the other is about building on what has worked previously (PS4).

There is a war coming. Large game developers are losing money and are increasingly using more desperate sales techniques to improve their bottomline. Gamers have thus far complained about Free 2 Play Online games - which works in Asian markets but not necessarily Western ones who like paying subscription. They've complained about Digital Rights Management - Sim City and DLCs, especially day 1 DLCs are now taking the wee-wee (one game attempted to make 'hard mode' a pay via download feature). Losing the ability to play your back catelogue of games from an older console is one thing - this just makes it easier to switch from one manufacturer to another surely? But to prevent a person from playing used games or swapping games with their friends is disgusting and I think that might be the thing that makes gamers snap!

The next few years in the gaming industry is going to be carnage.

Discuss.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

rubertoe

Re: X-box One vs PS4

Postby rubertoe » Wed May 22, 2013 12:02 pm

i for one never pay full price for games and tend to pick them up 2nd hand, and when i'm done trade them in

This will be a major sticking point for me. (PS man)
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

MrSweary

Postby MrSweary » Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Be interested to see what the Steam box looks like. I'm a recently retired PC gamer and knowing how superior most PC versions of games are this seems like the way forward for me.
Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0

pangolin

Postby pangolin » Wed May 22, 2013 12:39 pm

Good summary DDD.

I play on PC and X-Box. Been using the X-Box less and less though, mostly just for DVD's at the moment. I'm really surprised they didn't make it backwards compatible. It's even worse given how long the 360 has been going, the catalogue some people will have is immense.

The Sim City debacle was pretty interesting to watch, as I don't play it so wasn't personally annoyed. I agree it's going to be interesting!

Goes off to play minecraft
Genesis Croix de Fer

Daz555

Postby Daz555 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:39 pm

Without the ability to buy and sell used games and also lend borrow - I'm not remotely interested in the new console.

Complete show stopper for me.
You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.

SecretSam

Postby SecretSam » Wed May 22, 2013 13:11 pm

Daz555 wrote:Without the ability to buy and sell used games and also lend borrow - I'm not remotely interested in the new console.

Complete show stopper for me.

Agreed. Was a PS2 customer before, got a PS3 a while back and whilst it's great, was really cheesed off at not being able to play PS2 games on it.

If Microsoft have made same mistake with new Xbox, bigger fool them.

FWIW, we've an XBox 360, PS3 and a Wii in the family, I prefer the PS3 for its all round capabilities and the fact that now I'm separated from my wife, I can use it as CD / DVD/ Blu ray player.

But given the likely huge cost of the new console, I won't be getting one, at least not until PS3 is no longer supported by new games (mainly footie) and/or the price falls a lot. Frankly, Microsoft can suck my fat one, I'll give them as little money as I can possibly avoid.
--------------------
It's just a hill. Get over it.

mrc1

Postby mrc1 » Wed May 22, 2013 13:26 pm

Not sure where this leaves me really.

I'm not much of a gamer (I have never played online) but I have an Xbox 360 and do have a game on the go most of the time that I pick up now and again when they are cheap in Tesco (never spend more than £15) or as a Bday present (Assassins Creed ties in with my Bday so I generally get the latest one of those which I play over the following few months - that may stop now though as I am a bit bored of the concept).

I am also probably a worst case scenario customer as when a new game comes out that I want to play (Call of Duty etc) then I will just rent it from Blockbuster for £5 and then play it for a few days and return it. Seems crazy to buy them for £45 as they only last around 5-10 hours on single player mode!
http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1

DonDaddyD

Postby DonDaddyD » Wed May 22, 2013 13:28 pm

I never buy the first iteration of a new piece of technology (unless its a phone) within the first full year of its product life cycle. The first year irons out the bugs you get when mass producing the product - reference: Xbox 360, red ring of death dodgy motherboard. In fact in the 360's case, which I got a year into it, I should have waited two years. Also the price should have fallen after a year and demand has begun to even out against supply.

To be honest, I was expecting integration between Windows 7/8, Windows tablet, Windows Phone and Xbox One (crap name). I'm just thoroughly disappointed with the gaming industry as whole at the moment.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Wed May 22, 2013 13:35 pm

it still annoys me that you have to pay for an Xbox (gold) subscription to play online, where you dont on a PS - what gives Mr Gates??!

so on the consoles, you cant lend games to your mates? what about renting a game from Blockbuster or any of that jazz?

i dont think i will be replacing my ye old xbox any time soon
Keeping it classy since '83

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Wed May 22, 2013 13:38 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:If you're a gamer you will understand the significance that comes with the release of Microsoft's 8th Generation console.

Yes, absolutely none at all!

DonDaddyD

Postby DonDaddyD » Wed May 22, 2013 13:46 pm

GTA V is out this September on the Xbox 360 and PS3 - it was delayed, and if it is released on the new consoles and not the old ones I am going to rage the likes of which have never been seen.

GTA V is HUGE, if it is launched on the 360/PS3 that's 6 - 12 months gaming on the old consoles up to 24months + should expansion packs be released.
Food Chain number = 4

Greg66 Tri v2.0

Postby Greg66 Tri v2.0 » Wed May 22, 2013 13:58 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:GTA V is HUGE

Is that the one that glorifies killing, xenophobia, or theft?

Or is it the one that glorifies killing xenomorphs with stolen objects?

I get confused. :wink:
Swim. Bike. Run. Yup, that's definitely what I'm supposed to be doing.

Bike 1
Bike 2
Bike 3

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Wed May 22, 2013 14:05 pm

Greg66 Tri v2.0 wrote:
DonDaddyD wrote:GTA V is HUGE

Is that the one that glorifies killing, xenophobia, or theft?

Or is it the one that glorifies killing xenomorphs with stolen objects?

I get confused. :wink:

Nope, the more recent edition of the game has gone in a different direction.

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Wed May 22, 2013 14:07 pm

Sharkzilla would have them both! FACT
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

The Fuggler

Postby The Fuggler » Wed May 22, 2013 14:29 pm

I just want one that plays games. With the fewest social media interactive ****.
FCN 3 / 4

JonGinge

Postby JonGinge » Wed May 22, 2013 14:43 pm

The Fuggler wrote:I just want one that plays games. With the fewest social media interactive ****.
FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
Planet-x Scott
Rides

The Fuggler

Postby The Fuggler » Wed May 22, 2013 14:46 pm

JonGinge wrote:
The Fuggler wrote:I just want one that plays games. With the fewest social media interactive ****.

:D - can I get a re-tweet as well?
FCN 3 / 4

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Wed May 22, 2013 14:54 pm

I got an original X-box if you want it....
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Wed May 22, 2013 15:02 pm

rubertoe wrote:I got an original X-box if you want it....

some of "thems" were quite collectable
Keeping it classy since '83

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Wed May 22, 2013 17:14 pm

mudcow007 wrote:
rubertoe wrote:I got an original X-box if you want it....

some of "thems" were quite collectable

Halo edition, all boxed all original controlers and paperwork, sitting in my mums loft collecting dust. :wink:

Return to “Commuting Chat”