Cadence why measure

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
samsbike

Cadence why measure

Postby samsbike » Wed May 22, 2013 15:09 pm

I am being thick but why measure cadence and how does measuring it help?

I understand heart rate and speed and power but not cadence.

Thanks

Imposter

Re: Cadence why measure

Postby Imposter » Wed May 22, 2013 15:19 pm

The short answer is - it doesn't. Cadence is largely a personal preference and tends to rise naturally as your fitness increases.

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Wed May 22, 2013 15:23 pm

Personally I find it a good measure if I'm on rolling terrain where the speed is constantly changing keeping within my 'happy range' its easy to see how I'm doing.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

TheHound

Postby TheHound » Wed May 22, 2013 15:30 pm

I found it a big help.

I'm not a power rider like my brother so find it much more efficient to ride at a high cadence. When I started out I was pushing too high a gear and tiring quickly.

I'm pretty used to how it feels now so wouldn't say I need it. I can have a decent guess. But it helped a lot initially.
Bianchi Intenso Athena
Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
Deda Superleggero seatpost

16mm

Postby 16mm » Wed May 22, 2013 15:41 pm

If you are measuring power, then measuring cadence also allows some analysis of how you achieve power in different situations, eg high force low cadence or lower force higher cadence.

It can be useful to see this data if you want to analyze a race or training session to see how you rode different parts of the race, and what happened, for example, before and during the main race move.

On it's own, I'd suggest cadence can usually be determined by looking at your feet.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Wed May 22, 2013 18:32 pm

16mm wrote:On it's own, I'd suggest cadence can usually be determined by looking at your feet.

Lol - doesn't really work though. I tried it! Infact, even showing cadence alone doesn't make any difference IME- what works for me in increasing my cadence is showing both cadence and average cadence. Without the average, you tend to think you are doing much better than you actually are!
Faster than a tent.......

Neil_aky

Postby Neil_aky » Wed May 22, 2013 18:36 pm

I bought a cadence sensor to use with my iPod Touch and found it interesting to aim for 90rpm on cadence as it made me faster / more efficient; however, after a few weeks I was able to judge my cadence accurately enough without the sensor; I'de say if you've never considered / measured it it can help but you don't need to measure long-term (IMO)

wishitwasallflat

Postby wishitwasallflat » Wed May 22, 2013 19:03 pm

I find have a computer that shows my Cadence extremely useful - I check it regularily when riding and counting never worked for me. I've had mine for over 6 months now and still feel its great - much more efficient and knee friendly to ride higher cadence lower force and checking it subjectively by feel or counting doesn't work for me.

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Wed May 22, 2013 21:20 pm

Higher cadence = greater economy, puts less stress on the muscles and therefore should enable you to ride for longer without fatigueing
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Wed May 22, 2013 21:26 pm

..also many beginners perceive that they need bigger gears to go faster when in fact they are grinding gears relatively slowly. Developing a smooth cadence and pick-up really helps when sustaining a high speed.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Carbonator

Postby Carbonator » Thu May 23, 2013 06:41 am

At a basic level its simply a case of 100% knowing what you are doing , rather than guessing/not knowing.
Cycling = peddling, so I would say its important to have an idea of what you are actually doing.

If you analyse it a little it will force you to think about it, and even if that leads to you not using the information in the future, you will have gone through a useful process IMO.

I used to run a lot and used a Garmin. I found it invaluable and could not have improved without it. I would often think I was running better, or worse than I actually was, and the Garmin just clarified it.
Running only has one gear, but as cycling has almost 20 I just feel its helpful to have the extra information there to look at if it helps.

I would almost ask why not measure it to be honest :roll:

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Thu May 23, 2013 07:30 am

Carbonator wrote: Cycling = peddling,

call me pedantic if you like, but cycling = pedalling. If you're gonna do it, you might as well learn to spell it.

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Thu May 23, 2013 07:56 am

Imposter wrote:

call me pedantic if you like, but cycling = pedalling. If you're gonna do it, you might as well learn to spell it.

Or is it 'pedaling'? I can never remember?
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Thu May 23, 2013 08:01 am

bernithebiker wrote:
Imposter wrote:

I'm sure you've asked this before. UK = double 'L' / USA = single 'L'. What it definitely isn't, is 'peddle.'

Edited because I'm an idiot.
Last edited by Imposter on Thu May 23, 2013 08:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Thu May 23, 2013 08:04 am

Imposter wrote:
bernithebiker wrote:
Imposter wrote:

I'm sure you've asked this before. UK = single 'L' / USA = double 'L'. What it definitely isn't, is 'peddle.'

So what shall we decide on then? One L or 2?
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Thu May 23, 2013 08:13 am

Imposter wrote:
bernithebiker wrote:
Imposter wrote:

I'm sure you've asked this before. UK = single 'L' / USA = double 'L'. What it definitely isn't, is 'peddle.'

If you're going to be pedantic, always be careful. The UK spelling is two Ls. The general rule in British English is that if the final syllable is unstressed then you don't double the final consonant (e.g. 'ticketed'), but I think it gets doubled up where without a double consonant it would be open to mispronunciation ("pedayling").

Back to topic, I find the nicest way to keep a good tempo is to find a song you know really well in the right tempo and just sing while you pedal - or peddle, if you're selling onions on the move.

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Thu May 23, 2013 08:15 am

briantrumpet wrote:If you're going to be pedantic, always be careful. The UK spelling is two Ls. The general rule in British English is that if the final syllable is unstressed then you don't double the final consonant (e.g. 'ticketed'), but I think it gets doubled up where without a double consonant it would be open to mispronunciation ("pedayling").

Back to topic, I find the nicest way to keep a good tempo is to find a song you know really well in the right tempo and just sing while you pedal - or peddle, if you're selling onions on the move.

apologies - I got that the wrong way round. UK is double - USA is single. Hence why I spelt it with double. Now edited for accuracy ;)

bernithebiker wrote: So what shall we decide on then? One L or 2?

Entirely up to you. Just don't type 'peddle'.

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Thu May 23, 2013 08:16 am

Imposter wrote:apologies - I got that the wrong way round. UK is double - USA is single. Hence why I spelt it with double ;)

I thought that was the case, but catching out pedants is just so much fun.

Imposter

Postby Imposter » Thu May 23, 2013 08:19 am

briantrumpet wrote:

This doesn't work, by the way. All that happens is the tempo of the song simply rises/drops to match your cadence. ;)

briantrumpet

Postby briantrumpet » Thu May 23, 2013 08:24 am

Imposter wrote:
briantrumpet wrote:

This doesn't work, by the way. All that happens is the tempo of the song simply rises/drops to match your cadence. ;)

It does if you're a tempo pedant like me - for my day job (amongst other things) I direct big bands, one central skill for that being able to set tempos spot on. It's something I'm quite good at - better than lifting weights, anyway.

Return to “Road Beginners”