Postby ddraver » Fri Jun 14, 2013 19:58 pm

They don't have the rights to show it
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Pross

Re: why is SKY not pushing cycling??

Postby Pross » Fri Jun 14, 2013 20:55 pm

Yeah but surely they could advertise another channel's product for them?

goonz

Postby goonz » Fri Jun 14, 2013 21:14 pm

They sponsor a cycling team, how much more pushing do they need to do for flips sake? :P
Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
Specialized Langster SS for Ease
Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
n+1 is well and truly on track
Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875

morstar

Postby morstar » Fri Jun 14, 2013 22:09 pm

Damned if they do, damned if they don't!

Not at all a fan of the Sky corporation and I share the fears of many others that the bigger concern is when Sky do start buying rights to cycling, many of us will then be without access.

However, much as I'm not a fan, they have been investing in the sport for a long time without any significant return. When they do eventually start buying up rights to races, it will be impossible to argue that they're simply cashing in.

sjmclean

Postby sjmclean » Sat Jun 15, 2013 00:32 am

Sky don't have the program rights to it, and wouldn't advertise a competitors sport in a time that it is a struggle for Sky to make money from sport- the summer and no football season.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 00:46 am

sjmclean wrote:Sky don't have the program rights to it, and wouldn't advertise a competitors sport in a time that it is a struggle for Sky to make money from sport- the summer and no football season.

What makes you think they aren't advertising the sport?
Twitter: @RichN95

TakeTheHighRoad

Postby TakeTheHighRoad » Sat Jun 15, 2013 05:58 am

I'm gona go on record to say I Love Sky. Not necessarily the cycling team, because I know that's a contentious subject on here, but as a company I have a great amount of respect from them.

I know they're (allegedly) probably dodgy and Rupert Murdoch is (allegedly) the love child of Peter Mandleson and Margaret Thatcher but I think they're a great example of a great business model and a good way of working.

Just for balance I have a similar respect for Richard Branson, and all that he's done.

In terms of their cycling coverage, I think sponsoring a team and having bigger features on SSN is more than enough coverage. Half hour highlights shows via WCP or whoever aren't much to shout about (granted neither is the Lions Tour or Speedway but hey ho)

Their coverage of the Giro was excellent, and in Orla Chenaaoui (sp?) they've got a presenter who reminds me of Ned Boulting when he first started, apart fro with a bit more knowledge of cycling
My Men 2016 - Cav, Swifty, Tomekke, Valv, Eddy Bos, Spartacus, Styby, Nibbles, G.

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Sat Jun 15, 2013 09:03 am

The TdF (for example) stipulates that each country's coverage should be available free to view to give the widest coverage for sponsors.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

thegibdog

Postby thegibdog » Sat Jun 15, 2013 09:10 am

RichN95 wrote:
sjmclean wrote:Sky don't have the program rights to it, and wouldn't advertise a competitors sport in a time that it is a struggle for Sky to make money from sport- the summer and no football season.

What makes you think they aren't advertising the sport?

I think he was referring to the specific Sky Sports advert mentioned above.

markhewitt1978

Postby markhewitt1978 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:27 am

Quite often see Sky installer vans with 'Sky ProCycling' liveries.

cristoff

Postby cristoff » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:57 pm

they had the rights to the tour de Swiss but didn't show it.

didn't Murdoch want to bring in a cycling world series earlier this year? I guess that would be prominent coverage on sky?

Joelsim

Postby Joelsim » Sat Jun 15, 2013 14:42 pm

I think they got plenty of coverage with Wiggo's win last year on news bulletins, and no doubt will do if the Kenyan wins this year.
My men 2016: Kung, Meintjes, MA Lopez, Betancur, A Yates, S Yates, Gaviria, Taaramae. Bonus: Teunissen

www.catsittersw17.co.uk

mroli

Postby mroli » Sat Jun 15, 2013 15:55 pm

Eurosport buy their channels from Sky (or something like that I believe) - so a strong Eurosport is good for Sky.

Sky promote cycling massively - they run the regular sky rides in cities, back the track team, back the sky pro team.

Sky also promote cycling internally in a big way - a very cycle friendly employer.

Are they evil? Undoubtedly. But evil AND procycling! :evil:

Carl_P

Postby Carl_P » Sat Jun 15, 2013 18:46 pm

It will be interesting to see who broadcasts the TDF highlights first, Eurosport or Sky. As far as I remember for the Giro Eurosport didn't show the highlights until 10 pm at the earliest, whereas Sky broadcast at more prime time. Granted Eurosport were showing the Tour of California live each evening but even so it was rather odd, not too say inconvenient, for us who can't watch live stages day after day.

I hope the highlights schedule doesn't turn out; Sky, ITV4, Eurosport.
Van Nicholas Euros
Dolan Preffisio
Giant SCR2
Specialized Langster

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...

TakeTheHighRoad

Postby TakeTheHighRoad » Sat Jun 15, 2013 19:46 pm

Do they have the rights to ASO races? I thought it was just RCS, and the Belgian ones?
My Men 2016 - Cav, Swifty, Tomekke, Valv, Eddy Bos, Spartacus, Styby, Nibbles, G.

argyllflyer

Postby argyllflyer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 21:51 pm

Sky have rights, as said above, to some Belgian classics, highlights of the various RSC races and the two Swiss WT events.

Eurosport have almost everything else. ITV4 have their usual Tour coverage as well as Tour of Britain, British Champs and the recent crit series. BBC have Ride London Classic.

It's unfortunate that while Romandie was live (albeit on red button one stage), Sky didn't do much with Tour de Suisse, I guess a stronger British element to the line-up would have helped. They're showing a highlights programme next week though.

Richmond Racer

Postby Richmond Racer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 22:03 pm

argyllflyer wrote:Sky have rights, as said above, to some Belgian classics, highlights of the various RSC races and the two Swiss WT events.

Eurosport have almost everything else. ITV4 have their usual Tour coverage as well as Tour of Britain, British Champs and the recent crit series. BBC have Ride London Classic.

It's unfortunate that while Romandie was live (albeit on red button one stage), Sky didn't do much with Tour de Suisse, I guess a stronger British element to the line-up would have helped. They're showing a highlights programme next week though.

Having the rights to TdS and doing bugger all with them apart from a measly delayed single highlights package, has done them little favours. Poor show.

RichN95

Postby RichN95 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 22:04 pm

Sky probably aren't showing Tour of Switzerland not only because there's little British interest but also because they are quite busy at the moment - cricket's Champions Trophy, football's U21 Euros, golf's US Open, various rugby tours etc.
Twitter: @RichN95

argyllflyer

Postby argyllflyer » Sat Jun 15, 2013 22:07 pm

RichN95 wrote:Sky probably aren't showing Tour of Switzerland not only because there's little British interest but also because they are quite busy at the moment - cricket's Champions Trophy, football's U21 Euros, golf's US Open, various rugby tours etc.

Surely they could have either red buttoned it or put the highlights on on the same day? They're not that busy at 11pm are they? That's when they were showing stuff in the spring. Maybe ratings were poor?

Return to “Pro Race”